Less Slippery Doom Movement (May 2018 ZScript rewrite)

Post your example zscripts/ACS scripts/etc here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Re: Less Slippery Doom Movement (May 2018 ZScript rewrite)

Post by Enjay »

Sorry for the bumpage but I was just playing around with this on a map that uses low-friction and I found that it has an interesting side effect. Icy areas that were meant to be very slippery actually became less slippery than regular floors.

I've attached a map for easy comparison. Load the attached into GZDoom without nashmove and see how slippery the central area with the SHAWN2 floor is then try again with nashmove loaded.

I also tested it with "sludgy" friction floors and it seemed to make things a bit more sludgy. It certainly didn't make them any less so anyway.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Enjay wrote:Sorry for the bumpage but I was just playing around with this on a map that uses low-friction and I found that it has an interesting side effect. Icy areas that were meant to be very slippery actually became less slippery than regular floors.

I've attached a map for easy comparison. Load the attached into GZDoom without nashmove and see how slippery the central area with the SHAWN2 floor is then try again with nashmove loaded.

I also tested it with "sludgy" friction floors and it seemed to make things a bit more sludgy. It certainly didn't make them any less so anyway.
Yup, the same happens in Hexen map seven portals - the icy parts are less slippery than normal surface with this mod.
Yeetee

Post by Yeetee »

Found this doesn't work with immerse. :cry:
(https://github.com/JRHard771/Immerse/releases)
EDIT: what happens is that you still move with strafe lean held
Doomza

Post by Doomza »

This is easily one of my favorite mods because I have no fond memories of doom guy ice-skating through levels, and never felt quite "right" to me. However I've started to encounter issues with total conversions where new and special types of movement is required. Are there any hints or tips how to correct this via SLADE or something?
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

What are you on about? If a new type of movement is required it will be included in said mod. In that case just don't load this.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Yeah, this code resource* is not meant to be stacked with other mods that also alter movement.

* I am considering pushing a final update to this that changes its status from "let's throw this into my load order" into "resource for custom TC/standalone authors". The more I think abuot it, it never was meant to be a plug-and-play thing. Some assembly will be needed.
TIIKKETMASTER

Post by TIIKKETMASTER »

i was wondering if there was a way to mot make the doomplayer move very fast after taking damage?
den killen
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by den killen »

TIIKKETMASTER wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:52 pm i was wondering if there was a way to mot make the doomplayer move very fast after taking damage?
I solved this by commenting out lines 81, 82, 85, and 88 in the zscript file.
I've attached my altered version, if Nash doesn't mind. :wink:
Attachments
nashmove-NoBoost.pk3
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
stainedofmind

Post by stainedofmind »

For giggles, here's my edited version that I made as I was playing Golden Souls with this and it just wrecked the movement in it. Basically, I got rid of the janky (sorry Nash...) code that fiddles with the player speed, and replaced it with code that triggers the deceleration only* when the user is not using any of the movement inputs (forward, backward, and left/right strafe). I haven't had any issues with it since and pretty much can't play Doom without this thing now!

*Note: "Only" also includes the original stipulations of "being on the ground" and "not in pain state". Removal of the no-pain requirement would be as simple as replacing line 73 with:

Code: Select all

if (bIsOnFloor())
Attachments
nashmove.som.pk3
(1.12 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Nash

Post by Nash »

I have fully rewritten the mod (again) but simply don't have time to polish it up for release ATM. Also dealing with health issues. I'll get to it eventually
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Screw it...throwing my hat into the Nashmove ring with my variation.

Adds:
- rewritten player friction
- ledge mantling
- bunny hopping (sort of)
- HUD weapon pinching when landing
- weapon matching player skin
Attachments
UniversalPlayerMove.pk3
(4.95 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Last edited by BROS_ETT_311 on Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

Seems everyone has their own version these days.
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Dark-Assassin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:09 am Seems everyone has their own version these days.
Par for the course with Nash resources lol.
stainedofmind

Post by stainedofmind »

BROS_ETT_311 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:41 pm Screw it...throwing my hat into the Nashmove ring with my variation.

Adds:
- rewritten player friction
- ledge mantling
- bunny hopping (sort of)
- HUD weapon pinching when landing
- weapon matching player skin
Welp, using yours from now on, cause I've wanted a universal ledge climbing mod forever. Took out the bunny hopping, cause frankly even after reading the code, I'm not sure what it actually does :P
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

So I was looking at when I made mine, and it ended up being edited not long after Nash's ZScript version released, and last edited in 2020. But it is not perfect.

Return to “Script Library”