Less Slippery Doom Movement (May 2018 ZScript rewrite)

Post your example zscripts/ACS scripts/etc here.

Re: Less Slippery Doom Movement (May 2018 ZScript rewrite)

Postby Enjay » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:50 pm

Sorry for the bumpage but I was just playing around with this on a map that uses low-friction and I found that it has an interesting side effect. Icy areas that were meant to be very slippery actually became less slippery than regular floors.

I've attached a map for easy comparison. Load the attached into GZDoom without nashmove and see how slippery the central area with the SHAWN2 floor is then try again with nashmove loaded.

I also tested it with "sludgy" friction floors and it seemed to make things a bit more sludgy. It certainly didn't make them any less so anyway.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby ramon.dexter » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:18 pm

Enjay wrote:Sorry for the bumpage but I was just playing around with this on a map that uses low-friction and I found that it has an interesting side effect. Icy areas that were meant to be very slippery actually became less slippery than regular floors.

I've attached a map for easy comparison. Load the attached into GZDoom without nashmove and see how slippery the central area with the SHAWN2 floor is then try again with nashmove loaded.

I also tested it with "sludgy" friction floors and it seemed to make things a bit more sludgy. It certainly didn't make them any less so anyway.

Yup, the same happens in Hexen map seven portals - the icy parts are less slippery than normal surface with this mod.
ramon.dexter
rudebwoy

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Yeetee » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:18 pm

Found this doesn't work with immerse. :cry:
(https://github.com/JRHard771/Immerse/releases)
EDIT: what happens is that you still move with strafe lean held
Yeetee

Postby Doomza » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:33 am

This is easily one of my favorite mods because I have no fond memories of doom guy ice-skating through levels, and never felt quite "right" to me. However I've started to encounter issues with total conversions where new and special types of movement is required. Are there any hints or tips how to correct this via SLADE or something?
Doomza

Postby Rowsol » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:28 pm

What are you on about? If a new type of movement is required it will be included in said mod. In that case just don't load this.
Rowsol

Postby Nash » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:18 am

Yeah, this code resource* is not meant to be stacked with other mods that also alter movement.

* I am considering pushing a final update to this that changes its status from "let's throw this into my load order" into "resource for custom TC/standalone authors". The more I think abuot it, it never was meant to be a plug-and-play thing. Some assembly will be needed.
Nash
AKA Nash Muhandes! Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Previous

Return to Script Library