[Code] Fully-animated third person!

Post your example zscripts/ACS scripts/etc here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
The Zombie Killer

[Code] Fully-animated third person!

Post by The Zombie Killer »

I've been working on this for a few hours, so don't expect it to be perfect yet. I still have crouched mode to do, and some of the model's (I used a model from FPSCreator (free version!) that I converted to md3) animations are a little choppy since I haven't put a large amount of work into setting up the keyframes.

Majority of it all works though, jumping, moving around, strafing etc.

Oh and the file is 20mb because the converted model (originally a 1mb .x file) ended up being 60mb.

Enjoy!

Todo: Crouching, swimming, flying, shooting, death, melee

No need to credit me, I'm not really the type to imprint my name on someone's work :p

-MBF
Nash

Re: [Code] Fully-animated third person!

Post by Nash »

The camera is jerky and the character is stuttering too much. :( Also why is the MD3 60 megs!? Do vertex transforms really take up that much data? Also, does this mean that GZDoom has to load 60 megs of stuff into RAM just to load that 1 actor?
Enjay

Re: [Code] Fully-animated third person!

Post by Enjay »

The size of the file could be significantly reduced if a whole bunch of the unused animation frames were trimmed out.

I have been having a similar problem when trying to extract the models from Jedi Outcast/ Jedi Academy. The models are reasonably simple but the animations are held in a separate common animation file used by all humanoid actors. That means that virtually every single animation for any human-shaped character (ie most of them) in the game is in the one file. There are over 18,000 frames of animation in there. It is possible to use Noesis to convert the files to MD3s but they end up being multi, multi megabyte files (that completely break the MD3 spec and crash most editors). I have figured out a way of trimming down the animation file in 3DS Max and I can then apply that to the models using Noesis but real-life has got in the way of me making any progress other than proving that it can work.

Return to “Script Library”