[Code] Footsteps - v5 released!

Post your example zscripts/ACS scripts/etc here.

Re: [Code] Footsteps - v5 released!

Postby The Zombie Killer » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:22 am

Caligari_87 wrote:Why was it rewritten in C, and how? I thought ZDoom only supported ACS. Are you writing in C and then compiling the library to the appropriate bytecode or something?

Forgive me, I'm unsure how this works and curious about the rationale.

8-)

It was re-written in C, and compiled to ACS bytecode using GDCC. You can see the source code on the GitHub page, and you can find GDCC's forum thread here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32078
I chose to re-write it in C because it's easier to manage, and lets me create much cleaner code than I can in ACS. Plus I get to use pointers, structs and the like.
The Zombie Killer
King of the Kangaroos

Discord: Zombie#1795

Postby Skrell » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:22 am

The Zombie Killer wrote:
Skrell wrote:2. I'm a little confused...you added support in v4 for Zandronum and then removed it for v5? One of my favorite aspects of this MOD was the Zandro support :( Is there any way the FixedSqrt function could be approximated to something that would work in Zandro?

It's because I changed how some of it works, I'm using some better code to detect how fast the player is moving, which uses the FixedSqrt function. I could probably add some extra code to bring back Zandronum compatibility though. I'll definitely give it a go.

Thank you friend! Your work is greatly appreciated!
Skrell

Postby The Zombie Killer » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:51 pm

Solved the FixedSqrt issue. Zandronum is now supported, a prebuilt Zandronum build is now available in the OP.
The Zombie Killer
King of the Kangaroos

Postby Skrell » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:50 am

<3! I'll try the build tonight!
Also, i noticed with the last v4 build in gzdoom that
"Possible BUG: No footsteps on grass texture....this works in gzdoom footsteps v3 btw."
Can you please double check that this works?
Skrell

Postby The Zombie Killer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:51 am

Be sure to check this thread out by the way, because that's where future updates will be posted.

Skrell wrote:Also, i noticed with the last v4 build in gzdoom that
"Possible BUG: No footsteps on grass texture....this works in gzdoom footsteps v3 btw."
Can you please double check that this works?

Working fine on my end, so it should be all good.
The Zombie Killer
King of the Kangaroos

Postby PRIMEVAL » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:25 pm

I can no add in my own textures, awesome! Thank you so much for this awesome mod. Keep up the fantastic work!
PRIMEVAL

Postby Skrell » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:26 pm

Ok just tried out v5...so far everything seems to be working great. One question though...i thought one version of this mod had the monsters making footstep noises too...is this no longer the case?
Skrell

Postby The Zombie Killer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:17 pm

Skrell wrote:One question though...i thought one version of this mod had the monsters making footstep noises too...is this no longer the case?

That was a very old feature, I guess I could probably add it back in (optionally) if there's enough demand for it.
The Zombie Killer
King of the Kangaroos

Postby Skrell » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:01 pm

Please consider it! I loved it! :)
Skrell

Postby PRIMEVAL » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:54 pm

I'd like that feature as well.
PRIMEVAL

Postby gjk2014 » Sat May 02, 2015 12:29 am

I hate to be nitpicky but in the Zandronum v5 the footsteps seem to be less frequent than the v4 one. What I mean by that is in v5 when you run you only hear one footstep every 20 feet but in Zandronum footsteps v4 the footsteps sounds just right.
gjk2014

Postby The Zombie Killer » Sat May 02, 2015 12:52 am

Yeah, it's mainly due to some new methods of determining speed. When I re-add the volume and delay multipliers, then you can customize it to be just like v4.
Also, note that all of my resources (including this one) have moved to this thread, so I don't have to keep track of multiple threads: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=48386
The Zombie Killer
King of the Kangaroos

Postby gjk2014 » Sat May 02, 2015 1:01 am

The Zombie Killer wrote:Yeah, it's mainly due to some new methods of determining speed. When I re-add the volume and delay multipliers, then you can customize it to be just like v4.
Also, note that all of my resources (including this one) have moved to this thread, so I don't have to keep track of multiple threads: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=48386

Ok cool thanks I'll go to the other thread for now on. :)
gjk2014

Postby Big C » Sat May 02, 2015 5:46 am

The Zombie Killer wrote:Yeah, it's mainly due to some new methods of determining speed. When I re-add the volume and delay multipliers, then you can customize it to be just like v4.

RE: Multipliers: That's good. I play a lot of mods that give Doomguy smaller steps/shorter strides, so being able to tweak the footstep sounds will be handy.
Big C

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:46 pm

Hello! Great work. But it seems that footsteps can't be heard immediately after starting to walk. Is it somehow related to small initial velocity?
Jekyll Grim Payne

PreviousNext

Return to Script Library