[Code] Footsteps - v5 released!

Post your example zscripts/ACS scripts/etc here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
The Zombie Killer

Re: [Code] Footsteps - v5 released!

Post by The Zombie Killer »

Caligari_87 wrote:Why was it rewritten in C, and how? I thought ZDoom only supported ACS. Are you writing in C and then compiling the library to the appropriate bytecode or something?

Forgive me, I'm unsure how this works and curious about the rationale.

8-)
It was re-written in C, and compiled to ACS bytecode using GDCC. You can see the source code on the GitHub page, and you can find GDCC's forum thread here: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32078
I chose to re-write it in C because it's easier to manage, and lets me create much cleaner code than I can in ACS. Plus I get to use pointers, structs and the like.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

The Zombie Killer wrote:
Skrell wrote:2. I'm a little confused...you added support in v4 for Zandronum and then removed it for v5? One of my favorite aspects of this MOD was the Zandro support :( Is there any way the FixedSqrt function could be approximated to something that would work in Zandro?
It's because I changed how some of it works, I'm using some better code to detect how fast the player is moving, which uses the FixedSqrt function. I could probably add some extra code to bring back Zandronum compatibility though. I'll definitely give it a go.
Thank you friend! Your work is greatly appreciated!
The Zombie Killer

Solved the FixedSqrt issue. Zandronum is now supported, a prebuilt Zandronum build is now available in the OP.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

<3! I'll try the build tonight!
Also, i noticed with the last v4 build in gzdoom that
"Possible BUG: No footsteps on grass texture....this works in gzdoom footsteps v3 btw."
Can you please double check that this works?
The Zombie Killer

Be sure to check this thread out by the way, because that's where future updates will be posted.
Skrell wrote:Also, i noticed with the last v4 build in gzdoom that
"Possible BUG: No footsteps on grass texture....this works in gzdoom footsteps v3 btw."
Can you please double check that this works?
Working fine on my end, so it should be all good.
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I can no add in my own textures, awesome! Thank you so much for this awesome mod. Keep up the fantastic work!
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Ok just tried out v5...so far everything seems to be working great. One question though...i thought one version of this mod had the monsters making footstep noises too...is this no longer the case?
The Zombie Killer

Skrell wrote:One question though...i thought one version of this mod had the monsters making footstep noises too...is this no longer the case?
That was a very old feature, I guess I could probably add it back in (optionally) if there's enough demand for it.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Please consider it! I loved it! :)
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I'd like that feature as well.
gjk2014

Post by gjk2014 »

I hate to be nitpicky but in the Zandronum v5 the footsteps seem to be less frequent than the v4 one. What I mean by that is in v5 when you run you only hear one footstep every 20 feet but in Zandronum footsteps v4 the footsteps sounds just right.
The Zombie Killer

Yeah, it's mainly due to some new methods of determining speed. When I re-add the volume and delay multipliers, then you can customize it to be just like v4.
Also, note that all of my resources (including this one) have moved to this thread, so I don't have to keep track of multiple threads: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=48386
gjk2014

Post by gjk2014 »

The Zombie Killer wrote:Yeah, it's mainly due to some new methods of determining speed. When I re-add the volume and delay multipliers, then you can customize it to be just like v4.
Also, note that all of my resources (including this one) have moved to this thread, so I don't have to keep track of multiple threads: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=48386
Ok cool thanks I'll go to the other thread for now on. :)
Big C

Post by Big C »

The Zombie Killer wrote:Yeah, it's mainly due to some new methods of determining speed. When I re-add the volume and delay multipliers, then you can customize it to be just like v4.
RE: Multipliers: That's good. I play a lot of mods that give Doomguy smaller steps/shorter strides, so being able to tweak the footstep sounds will be handy.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

Hello! Great work. But it seems that footsteps can't be heard immediately after starting to walk. Is it somehow related to small initial velocity?

Return to “Script Library”