[sound refactor] Monsters become mute

Post bugs that have to do with sound and/or in-game music here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!

[sound refactor] Monsters become mute

Postby drfrag » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:03 pm

I was playing cpd.wad and in the middle of MAP32 all monsters became mute, sounds could be heard only within a few meters from them even in the same sector. That level has commander keens and wolfenstein ss soldiers. Seems sounds were played either at full volume or not played at all. May be it's a problem with OpenAL itself.
I can't reproduce it even killing all the monsters and spawning new ones. It was LZDoom but Major Cooke has experienced it in GZDoom too.
It's rare and very hard to reproduce.
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Re: [sound refactor] Monsters become mute

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:43 pm

drfrag wrote:I was playing cpd.wad and in the middle of MAP32 all monsters became mute, sounds could be heard only within a few meters from them even in the same sector. That level has commander keens and wolfenstein ss soldiers. Seems sounds were played either at full volume or not played at all. May be it's a problem with OpenAL itself.

The symptoms suggest maybe there's sounds that follow within a few meters, and a new sound needs to get closer to override it and play. If it happens again, what does "stat sound" show with the number sources in use? Does snd_reset in the console fix it?
Chris

Postby _mental_ » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:49 pm

I experienced this as well. I didn’t try stat, but snd_reset had no effect on this issue. It went away only after exiting and running GZDoom again.
The main problem is a quite rare repro indeed.
_mental_

Postby Major Cooke » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:37 pm

I find it's as rare as GZDoom eating the ini file. It feels like since this is a random chance, that something's not initializing properly or doesn't set up the defaults before use.
Major Cooke
QZDoom Maintenance Team

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:46 pm

_mental_ wrote:I experienced this as well. I didn’t try stat, but snd_reset had no effect on this issue. It went away only after exiting and running GZDoom again.

What if you make a save after the problem starts, then quit/restart GZDoom, and load that save? Does it still happen immediately upon loading, or start happening soon after, or just have the usual low chance of happening? My thinking is perhaps the mod is bugging out and spawning a bunch of nearby quiet sounds that can only be temporarily overridden by nearer sounds. Otherwise, I'd need to know if it's happening due to hitting the source limit (which "stat sound" would show as having no free sources), or if there's something preventing the sound from even trying to play despite having the resources to.
Chris

Postby Major Cooke » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:48 pm

It's completely sporadic based on loading GZDoom only for me. Not a saved game.
Major Cooke
QZDoom Maintenance Team

Return to Audio/Music Bugs