Absent MIDIs, Stuttering OPL3 (.RAW/.IMF)

Post bugs that have to do with sound and/or in-game music here.

Moderator: Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Re: Absent MIDIs, Stuttering OPL3 (.RAW/.IMF)

Postby Barrels » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:17 pm

I think they should create a more accurate GM sf2 before setting fluidsynth as the default. Some instruments are louder than they should be such as 'Electronic Piano 1' and 'Synth Brass 1' among others, and I feel that the reverb they have set the instruments to is too strong.
Barrels

Discord: 9124

Postby wildweasel » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:22 pm

More accurate to what, though? Also, bear in mind you are entirely free to swap in your own SF2 if the bundled one does not suit your needs.
wildweasel
I love the smell of sourdough in the morning
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Barrels » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:47 pm

I mean more accurate, as in closer to the original DLS file when it comes to an instrument's volume and ASDR values. An example of what I'm talking about can be heard when playing "Shawn's Got the Shotgun". When it's played through the Wavetable Synth everything is fine. When you play it through gzdoom.sf2, the Synth Brass blares through everything else.
Barrels

Postby wildweasel » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:49 pm

Consider using this soundfont which uses the Roland Sound Canvas patch set (the same patch set as GM.DLS).
wildweasel
I love the smell of sourdough in the morning
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Rachael » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:51 pm

The soundfont in question was chosen because it was small, not because it sounded better than the others.

Without having FMOD anymore to hold our hand completely through midi playback, a better default was needed.
Rachael
QZDoom + Webmaster

Postby Xaser » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:59 am

Midi composer's opinion: The included soundfont is actually rather decent. The issue is that *ZDoom's Fluidsynth settings have Reverb and Chorus on by default, which make things sound super-wrong. Switch them both off and you'll get something quite comparable to FMOD's playback -- though IIRC Chorus isn't exposed in the menu at the moment. I keep forgetting to suggest adding it. :P
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby _mental_ » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:34 am

Do you want fluid_chorus CVAR to be added to Advanced Sound Options menu?
_mental_

Postby Barrels » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:17 pm

That would be a great idea. I had no idea about fluid_chorus, and after turning it off, the instruments stopped drowning out other instruments, which was my main gripe with the soundfont.
Barrels

Previous

Return to Audio/Music Bugs