Absent MIDIs, Stuttering OPL3 (.RAW/.IMF)

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Barrels

Re: Absent MIDIs, Stuttering OPL3 (.RAW/.IMF)

Post by Barrels »

I think they should create a more accurate GM sf2 before setting fluidsynth as the default. Some instruments are louder than they should be such as 'Electronic Piano 1' and 'Synth Brass 1' among others, and I feel that the reverb they have set the instruments to is too strong.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

More accurate to what, though? Also, bear in mind you are entirely free to swap in your own SF2 if the bundled one does not suit your needs.
Barrels

Post by Barrels »

I mean more accurate, as in closer to the original DLS file when it comes to an instrument's volume and ASDR values. An example of what I'm talking about can be heard when playing "Shawn's Got the Shotgun". When it's played through the Wavetable Synth everything is fine. When you play it through gzdoom.sf2, the Synth Brass blares through everything else.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Consider using this soundfont which uses the Roland Sound Canvas patch set (the same patch set as GM.DLS).
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

The soundfont in question was chosen because it was small, not because it sounded better than the others.

Without having FMOD anymore to hold our hand completely through midi playback, a better default was needed.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Midi composer's opinion: The included soundfont is actually rather decent. The issue is that *ZDoom's Fluidsynth settings have Reverb and Chorus on by default, which make things sound super-wrong. Switch them both off and you'll get something quite comparable to FMOD's playback -- though IIRC Chorus isn't exposed in the menu at the moment. I keep forgetting to suggest adding it. :P
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Do you want fluid_chorus CVAR to be added to Advanced Sound Options menu?
Barrels

Post by Barrels »

That would be a great idea. I had no idea about fluid_chorus, and after turning it off, the instruments stopped drowning out other instruments, which was my main gripe with the soundfont.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Ursula Lightdale wrote:Apparently, either certain or all SysEx events prevent midis from playing on ZDoom through the GS Wavetable, and deleting said events from the songs allow them to play. That doesn't stop the Wavetable from turning the songs into trash though...

Yes, that's indeed the cause. Filtering out those events for the wavetable synth makes those songs play again that before were silent.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Awesome!! I'm hoping this will enable the use of every DN3D (and likewise) MIDI again in ZDoom wads.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

All other synths play them. I really don't get why people are so attached to Microsoft' shitty system softsynth. Even though these MIDIs play again the entire thing hasn't changed from being shit. It is by far the worsrt of all availavble options.
And for external synths these events are not filtered out, just for the one I consider deprecated anyway. The Windows solution is mainly there so that it can drive external hardware, not the GS softsynth. If that was the only thing it was used for I'd already have removed the code when FluidSynth was made the default.
Player701

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Player701 »

Graf Zahl wrote:I really don't get why people are so attached to Microsoft' shitty system softsynth. Even though these MIDIs play again the entire thing hasn't changed from being shit. It is by far the worsrt of all availavble options.
Can't say for others, but personally, I'm very used to how Doom MIDIs sound on the Windows synth. The instruments from the default soundbank fit the Doom atmosphere quite well, or at least that's what I feel. However, I'm not in favor of supporting deprecated technologies either, so I went ahead and managed to find an SF2 soundfont that sounds exactly like the Windows synth. I don't exactly remember where I found it, though. It seems to be a direct conversion of the default GM.DLS soundbank, which comes with Windows. I'm not sure if it's legal to distribute it openly - if it is, then I can post a link here.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”