Sound Levels "Reset" after Window Minimization

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Exosphere

Sound Levels "Reset" after Window Minimization

Post by Exosphere »

75% of time after minimizing the window then bringing it back up again, the volume for the Sounds, Menu, and Music will have suddenly been changed, despite the GUI not indicating a change in there actual values. For example, the music will suddenly become very loud and the sound effects for everything else to be very faint, according to my configuration. To fix this bug, you would have to manually reset the sound every time after bringing the game window back up.

Current Audio Setup
Midi Device = Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth
Sound Channels = 128
Sound Backend = OpenAL
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Sound Levels "Reset" after Window Minimization

Post by Chris »

Exosphere wrote:75% of time after minimizing the window then bringing it back up again, the volume for the Sounds, Menu, and Music will have suddenly been changed, despite the GUI not indicating a change in there actual values. For example, the music will suddenly become very loud and the sound effects for everything else to be very faint, according to my configuration. To fix this bug, you would have to manually reset the sound every time after bringing the game window back up.

Current Audio Setup
Midi Device = Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth
Sound Channels = 128
Sound Backend = OpenAL
Windows' built-in wavetable synth has been known to have volume issues. Does it happen with other MIDI devices (like OPL emulation)?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The Windows synth is so broken that I'd prefer to consider it deprecated. Use at your own risk, but please don't complain if it doesn't work right. There's a reason it's no longer the default after all.
Exosphere

Post by Exosphere »

Graf Zahl wrote:The Windows synth is so broken that I'd prefer to consider it deprecated. Use at your own risk, but please don't complain if it doesn't work right. There's a reason it's no longer the default after all.
I never knew that the Wavetable Synth was technically deprecated. Which MIDI device is the default one?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

FluidSynth which uses a small soundfont shipped with GZDoom.
Exosphere

Post by Exosphere »

_mental_ wrote:FluidSynth which uses a small soundfont shipped with GZDoom.
Ok. However, I noticed that the Fluidsynth appears to have a lot of reverb. I'm not saying this is a bug, but does anyone else have this experience with the midi device?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

You can try to use different sound fonts to find one which sounds the best for you.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”