Bandither - Retro Shader for GZDoom, FTEQW, Doom 64, ReShade

Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Immorpher
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Bandither - Retro Shader for GZDoom, FTEQW, Doom 64, ReShade

Post by Immorpher »

Bandither is a non-linear color banding and dithering shader for GZDoom, FTEQW, Doom 64, and ReShade. It quantizes each color channel similar to 3D graphics hardware of the 1990's (Sega Saturn, Playstation 1, Nintendo 64, Voodoo 1/2) and can be skewed for darker games. It has multiple dithering modes, which can be blended, and are adjustable from pure color bands to full dithering. The amount of colors and linearity of the banding can be adjusted too.

Download Here: https://github.com/Immorpher/Bandither/releases/

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Videos:
Spoiler:
Credits and Links
Spoiler:
Last edited by Immorpher on Sat May 21, 2022 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Immorpher

Re: Bandither - Another Retro Shader for GZDoom and FTEQW

Post by Immorpher »

Woops, I was a doof, and I think I posted this in the wrong section. If a mod is around and its not too hard, can this be moved to here: viewforum.php?f=103 ?

And I have updated it to version 1.2 which improves some of the dithering and adds a few extra dither types too! See comparisons here https://twitter.com/immorpher64/status/ ... 1604486144
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Immorpher wrote:Woops, I was a doof, and I think I posted this in the wrong section. If a mod is around and its not too hard, can this be moved to here: viewforum.php?f=103 ?
Done!
Immorpher

Post by Immorpher »

Thank you so much! It's greatly appreciated. And if anyone has a dither style they would like me to add, feel free to suggest. :D
Nash

Post by Nash »

Looks cool, judging from the screens. Will be giving this a try in my games, for sure. Thanks for putting this out!
Immorpher

Post by Immorpher »

Nash wrote:Looks cool, judging from the screens. Will be giving this a try in my games, for sure. Thanks for putting this out!
It's an honor to get such kind words from someone whose programming I have learned so much from! Also thanks for answering our questions on the In The Keep podcast! :D
LeCreeperMax
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by LeCreeperMax »

Looks good :D
Immorpher

Post by Immorpher »

LeCreeperMax wrote:Looks good :D
I been having too much fun with it! And perhaps jumping the shark with this one, but the latest Bandither update lets you blend dither styles. This is to quench my obsession to add a bit of noise to dithers. But also I found you could get some funky results by blending two unrelated style. The motion noise now varies with time too, so you can add some time-varying noise to any dither. To make up for jumping the shark, I did clean some of the code! https://github.com/Immorpher/Bandither/releases/
Immorpher

Re: Bandither - Retro Shader for GZDoom, FTEQW, Doom 64, ReS

Post by Immorpher »

Bandither has been updated to 1.4! This does not add any more new features, rather better support for more software.

- ReShade support has been added, thus allowing it to be used for a lot more software. I had to convert the coding from GLSL to HLSL, thus I can leverage this for more application support in the future perhaps.
- Doom 64 Remaster (KEX engine) support has been added too! I recommend implementing it via ReShade as it takes a bit of extra effort to adjust its settings within the Doom 64 Remaster. It only compiles under OpenGL as well, but this is a proof of concept that future mods could use custom shaders in the KEX engine!
- FTEQW now has better support with console variable options and its nicely bundled as a pk3 now.

Return to “Shaders”