Doom 1 Parallax Mapping (2 versions available)

Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom 1 Parallax Mapping (2 versions available)

Post by Darkcrafter »

The original game textures can be finished entirely but the shader isn't that great yet, there are also limitations in the engine and to make it look better not only the shader must be enhanced but also some mapping habits.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Darkcrafter wrote:The original game textures can be finished entirely but the shader isn't that great yet, there are also limitations in the engine and to make it look better not only the shader must be enhanced but also some mapping habits.
That's why I feel the more subtle ones in this pack work the best. Anything extreme very quickly starts becoming obvious and looking odd when even very common (and usually desirable) mapping techniques are used.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

I agree with Enjay. THe subtle ones look fantastic! really subtle and add to the overall look. the original ones, the relief paralax is a little funky.
clockworkz

Post by clockworkz »

So despite how hectic work's been recently, I've been making some progress adding more textures to the set and adjusting the effect on some of the existing ones

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xQK6Bp ... sp=sharing

I'm especially proud of the black wavy sand texture you can find on e3m2 and the 'exit' doors. I've fixed some of the buttons textures now. They animate! The button actually gets pushed in. Some other stuff has been exaggerated slightly to make it less subtle.

The different shaders have different amounts of vertical exaggeration, so it's difficult to adjust how 'extreme' some of the textures are. It's an easy fix though, just need to adjust the dynamic range on the depth map.

That being said though, a question I do have though is if anyone knows if it's possible to work on the textures OUTSIDE of a pk3. It's a huge pain to unpackage and repackage the pk3 every time I want to test something and it's really slowing me down. Especially as overwriting files in a zip seems to corrupt it half the time.

I'm thinking a script or something might be useful to 'compile' the pk3, but If I can force zdoom to use imports from a directory or something, that would be way better.
Nash

Post by Nash »

You can load entire directories with -file and work with loose files.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Awesome! Vanilla doom textures will get a better look, my dreams come true :wink:
TDRR
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro

Post by TDRR »

I need some help with this, i'm trying to use this shader, but i have no idea which are the maps that i have to provide. Is it just Normal + Displacement + Specular? After that, how do i put them in-game? (please give a quick response if possible, i'm running outta time!)

EDIT: FIgured it out, but now i have a different question: Is this shader free for commercial use? And does it nullify the effects of a normal and specular map? Because even though i see specular maps in there, it doesn't seem to affect the texture at all, even when firing a plasma rifle near it.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

It nullifies the effect of normal mapping as parallax mapping is there to replace it. Specular should work just fine (turn on a flashlight in Brutal Doom v21 to see the effect on startan texture).
clockworkz

Post by clockworkz »

Here's an update on my effort to finish Doom 1's textures.
I've got a majority of them done now, though a bunch of the switches still need fixing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WlUt32 ... sp=sharing

If anyone has any ideas how to advertise this a bit more, I'd like to hear about it. It's at the point where it could use a bit more exposure and I don't really know the community
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Making your own thread is honestly probably best.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

I too have been doing my own, but I've been hand drawing as much as I can by myself from scratch without using anything someone else has made. Some are more simple than what has already been made, but they still fit in fine.
All Doom 1 flats have been done (69 drawn, 38 generated and 1 hybrid) and 187 Doom 1 textures have been drawn so far. BIGDOOR2-4 was the hardest to draw so far.
I may also apply some texture alignment fixes too, but that's just an afterthought and may not end up happening.
The only thing I mostly reused is the shader file, but I've modified it a bit.
I've also written a shader function that converts the heightmap into a working normalmap so they don't have to be manually generated.
There is no download available. I'm not planning on releasing it until at least 1 IWAD has been finished.
Tormentor667

Re: Doom 1 Parallax Mapping

Post by Tormentor667 »

Darkcrafter wrote:Here is the shader: https://drive.google.com/open?id=16Sjq- ... t3sNnb_w63
Question regarding this: to achieve the "height" visuals in the textures, is all we need the displacement material?
Darkcrafter

Re: Doom 1 Parallax Mapping

Post by Darkcrafter »

Tormentor667 wrote:
Darkcrafter wrote:Here is the shader: https://drive.google.com/open?id=16Sjq- ... t3sNnb_w63
Question regarding this: to achieve the "height" visuals in the textures, is all we need the displacement material?
Yes, just displacement. Every kind of map acts on its own, e.g normal maps are for lighting processing, specular maps define areas where a scene dynamic light can be kind of reflected. I'm deliberately saying kind of because it's not true reflection, but just "backlight".
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Is there an easy to create them out of regular textures?
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

It depends on what kind of surface you want to describe and how faithfully. If you want to go faith, there is a lot of adjustments and manual work, but if you want to go easy, then convert a desired texture to grayscale or desaturate it completely and try to adjust contrast of the final image so parallax mapping shader doesn't look too bumpy, so bumpy that the effect is getting broken. The less contrast your image has the less bumpiness you will get. You may also try to apply blur or other filter over an image in order to get rid of some extremely jaggy or sticking out elements, as well as denoise it to get more polished look and flat look. There is even some software available that is intended to do that easy work for you like materialize, I even just found this: https://ericbouffard.wordpress.com/2018 ... gle-image/

Return to “Shaders”