Retro FX with Dither

Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Indecom

Retro FX with Dither

Post by Indecom »

Hey guys, took some time this weekend to heavily modify the Retro Shader by torridgristle, and I figured I'd package it up all nicely and share it with you.

The main differences here is in the options screen you can define how wide the pixels are on screen in relation to your chosen resolution, where as before it was some weird scaling algorithm and you had to tell the app what your aspect ratio was. That's not a thing anymore, it automatically determines your aspect ratio so all your pixels come out nice and square. You can still adjust the bit depth with a handy little slider in the Retro FX config screen. The biggest addition to the Retro FX Shader is dithering. This adds a tremendous amount of smoothness to the whole look, especially if you set the bit depth really low (ramp up that dither spread!) I've even given you the option of choosing what type of dither effect you prefer, ordered, or random. Just assign whichever PK3 suits your tastes!

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Imgur Album

And download:
Mediafire
Last edited by Rachael on Tue May 15, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: shrunk images
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Retro FX with Dither

Post by R4L »

That is beautiful.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

This is pretty cool. It would be nice to adjust the dither scale separate from the pixel scale though.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

Aaaa, reminds me of Software Quake
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

now that's a decent retro filter I can get behind
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

Awesome! Though, an option for nonsquare pixels would be nice for that ANSI art or Commodore 64 feel.
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

zrrion the insect wrote:This is pretty cool. It would be nice to adjust the dither scale separate from the pixel scale though.
That option is the dither spread, unless you want the dither pixels to be larger than the in game pixels, which I personally find somewhat confusing. Lol
PermaNoob wrote:Awesome! Though, an option for nonsquare pixels would be nice for that ANSI art or Commodore 64 feel.
I've thought about this, I might update the suite with this option when I have the time.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Huh, what's that first screenshot from?
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

It's just a little level I threw together one afternoon, testing the material support for the latest gzdoom releases.
zenlikecreature

Post by zenlikecreature »

Very essential mod. Pixelates properly and the dither and posterization in it look remarkably neat as well.

I'm still looking for something that pixelates overlay effects (messages, hud, visors).
RitzyBusiness

Post by RitzyBusiness »

This is a really good software look renderer. Brings back a decent amount of texture and character that is otherwise sterilized. While I prefer the default settings+pixellate, pushing it down to 8-bits brings me back to a simpler time, without losing some modern day eye candy(like better lighting, if its your cup of tea).

Return to “Shaders”