Autochthonic Doom (Widescreen mod FKA Pitch, Please!)

Autochthonic Doom (Widescreen mod FKA Pitch, Please!)

Postby Pixel Eater » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:17 pm

AChthonic.pk3
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Autochthonic Doom mantains the pixel height as you look up and down so that geometry will become more uniform and realistic like Quake.
Not necessary for DooM 64: Retribution.

If you use Bloom (which can prevent the weapon from warping) you may want to load this wad to re-widen DooM's HUD weapons:
BigButts.wad
(3.91 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Last edited by Pixel Eater on Tue May 08, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pixel Eater
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees.

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Re: Pitch, Please!

Postby BROS_ETT_311 » Sun May 06, 2018 12:26 am

Awesome stuff, dude! I've been looking for something like this, since I'm typically a fan of body perspective in FPS games (Nash's weapon-sway mod comes to mind). Though, now I'm wondering if it's possible to create a similar effect for the weaponbob similar to that of Quake's weaponbob. I'm guessing it'd be a shader that affects the pixel range on the x axis while playeractorz veloctiy (or whatever the term is) reaches above a certain range, however I can't be sure as I'm not well versed with zscript...let alone decorate for that matter! Thoughts?
BROS_ETT_311

Postby Pixel Eater » Sun May 06, 2018 7:40 am

When I get around to copying the Dolly Effect for when the player is accelerating, I'll give that a whirl. I think what you're describing might be in the same ballpark method-wise. My ZScript is pretty lacking though so thanks for pointing out the playeractorz thing :)

P.S. This thread was to be deleted a while ago as Pitch, Please! was retitled Autochthonic Widescreen and combined into ScreeM. However I've found a situation where another shader needs to be loaded between the two and so P,P! will return here again soon (with improvements over the ScreeM version).
Pixel Eater

Postby BROS_ETT_311 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:34 am

Got it, I'll keep my eye on the screem shader then. Looking forward to the next iteration!
BROS_ETT_311

Re: Autochthonic Doom (Widescreen mod FKA Pitch, Please!)

Postby Pixel Eater » Tue May 08, 2018 8:31 pm

Next iteration up!

The math is less of a combination of flukes and guesses and it's now done by texel processing so it shouldn't cause blurring. I've given it a menu now that there are multiple modes to choose from and added a "semi-useful" letterbox effect as well.
Pixel Eater

Return to Shaders