Mirror Mire

Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Valken

Re: Mirror Mire

Post by Valken »

I tried this mod and its pretty cool but I found the problem with the green sides coming out. It conflicts with AO. If AO OFF, it goes away. If AO is ON, green bleeding occurs. You can test it also with this texture mod with some PBR:

https://www.moddb.com/games/doom/addons ... oly-mod-v2

Mirror shader + above HD texture mod + AO ON - can clearly see the light texture mirrored but green bleeding and water PBR not working:
Untitled.jpg
Mirror shader + above HD texture mod + GZDLiquidsPack mod + AO ON - can clearly see the light texture reflected from PRB but not mirror or green bleeding:
Untitled2.jpg
Edit - NO AA or FXAA was used.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

The way this mod works means it has very little compatibility with other mods and even some of the settings within GZDoom. I stopped working on it a long time ago for these reasons. It seems to still have a lot of interest regardless, so I'd be happy to see someone take this project over and develop it further, especially the 2.5D version that ran too slow to bother completing :roll:
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

I suppose a quick fix for this would be to havl;;;;e the shader detect water liquids and apply the mirror sector effect that's already in the engine? a draw back to this would be the lack of any fancy Warping, but it would be a solution I guess?
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

That's already the way it works though, via chroma. Maybe someone could turn on the in-built reflectivity by determining the texture of each sector with Zscript :shrug:
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

if one were to do that, then that would be fairly neat. of course sacrifices are gonna have to happen as in the loss of the ripple effect. but what can you do in this situation eh? but on the bright side, that would fix 1 problem, Translucent / Additive green projectiles; while this shader is active makes the projectile all woobly and messes up the palette of the world when looking through some green projectiles
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Pixel Eater wrote:in-built reflectivity
What? Gzdoom dont have built in reflections....or have...
All it can, show image with camera texture hack/trick/functionality like this

Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

@Apeirogon
[wiki]Sector_SetPlaneReflection[/wiki]

8-)
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

I see...
IF so, that would be an easy. Problem is, I dont know any functions which can tag sectors from zscript. And not from zscript too.
Steve5563
Operating System Version (Optional): windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Steve5563 »

I gave this shader a try and its looks pretty good with what work you have done here Pixel Eater.
i can see you have gone onto other projects but i am curious, are you willing to change the screen space reflection to a cube map / environment map type of base reflection?
this way no mater what view angle you look at the water there is some type of reflection to it.
and could the shader work off of normal maps to distort the reflection amount?
this could look rather neat with the parallax shader and also your refraction shader for the "fill spectre" and maybe blend some cheap screen space reflection on top to polish it off?
depending on the performance hit you could make a setting to turn off some of the shaders and just use the cube map as the base reflection for performance reasons?
im the person that made the liquid texture pack (doom 2 project remap) and i am currently re working the texture pack, so if you need any textures made up, let me know.
cheers.
Kazudra

Post by Kazudra »

I think it would work a bit better if the set color wasn't in the palette. Green is too broad

Return to “Shaders”