Mirror Mire v1.1

Mirror Mire v1.1

Postby Pixel Eater » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:15 pm

MirrorMireLite1.1.pk3
(179.83 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
V1.1 fixes a bug where looking down made the liquid brighter, rewords the Angle setting and sets it to On as default (existing users will need to manually enable it though).

Reflective water for GZDoom:
Preview.jpg
Preview2.jpg
Created with help from GiveOneMoreChance :cheers: Check out their mod's screenshots!
Last edited by Pixel Eater on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pixel Eater
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees

Re: Mirror Mire

Postby Gutawer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:46 pm

Not meaning to be rude, but this really doesn't look right. You can't just flip the screen upside down and sample from that point, on the flipped screen, light doesn't work that way, as can be seen in your second screenshot where the non-reflected cobble wall is way taller than the reflected one - with actual light, both would appear the same height to the player. I think the way screen-space reflection is traditionally done is to raycast based on the point on screen that's being rendered (you need the inverse projection matrix for this) and reflect along the surface normal, stepping the resultant vec3 until it intersects the depth buffer (this is the resultant point). Then, you take the color value based off the depth buffer, and use that as the reflected point. Needless to say, that's vastly more complex than a simple flip down the middle - and even this method has issues when the reflected ray hits off the screen, so to speak, making it impossible to actually sample a value. If you're interested, this looks like a good resource from a quick glance - http://roar11.com/2015/07/screen-space-glossy-reflections/

And, regardless, none of this data is even available currently with the shader system. I think it's a nice idea, but this certainly isn't a particularly great way to do it, not that I can really blame you - more engine support would be needed to fully achieve this.
Gutawer

Discord: Gutawer#3431

Re: Mirror Mire

Postby Pixel Eater » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:11 pm

I'm aware it isn't an accurate effect and I have a CPU hungry version in the pipeline that addresses some of that (that's why this one's called Mirror Mire 'Lite'). Consider this an atmospheric effect which you ignore while you play.
And I agree a shader most likely can't be as effective as a hard-coded attempt but people were asking if it could be done this way and I grew curious too :wink:
One thing that could help it look right is if there were a way to remove the bobbing?

Oh here's a preview of the progress for Mirror Mire (Deluxe? :glare: ):
Preview3.jpg
And well, it's not true 3D but it's something.
Pixel Eater
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees

Return to Shaders