Fill Spectre v3.1

Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Re: Fill Spectre v1.1

Post by Pixel Eater »

Cheers, I'm glad you like it :D

Keep your eye out in a day or so <scratch that it's the weekend> because I have something near complete to address Nash's concern above. While I cannot remove the original sprite, I think I've improved the way it's hidden...
Last edited by Pixel Eater on Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

There is one thing you can do. You can still use FF00FF as a key color, but leave the green channel completely empty. Then set the sprite's renderstyle to be 90% opacity, having the shader cue off of any color that is within 10% of FF00FF. (can be done if FragColor.r >= .9 && FragColor.b >= .9 && FragColor.g <= .1 - might lead to some false positives but hopefully not many)

Inside the shader, you remove the F000F0 from the sprite, and then multiply the result by 9 to restore the original image underneath of it.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Ooh I see what you're saying. The green channel is used for the contour information so it might end up looking flat if I can't work something else out. I'll definitely give it a try :thumb:
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Well I can confirm that absolutely works, thanks Rachael! It does lose the contoured look but still succeeds at lensing the background (which I might be able to use for a bumpy contour anyway). What's really intriguing me about this revelation though is it's potential to achieve the original DOS Doom effect :ugeek:
sylandro

Post by sylandro »

For some reason, I'm seeing pink blood when I shoot the spectres as if the color was not being caught by the shader.

Also, a small request, can you do a version of this for the Doom 64 spectre? Probably Nevander's Retribution mod can be used as a base.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

That's weird, I thought i disabled the line which made the spectre's blood pink before uploading. Is your tolerance setting at 0.51?
Also, a small request, can you do a version of this for the Doom 64 spectre? Probably Nevander's Retribution mod can be used as a base.
I can't believe that hasn't occurred to me! I'll be doing that next chance 8-)
sylandro

Post by sylandro »

I figured it out, it was because I had the Blood type setting set to Sprites and particles. The particles have pink color, the sprites are ok.
Pixel Eater

Re: Fill Spectre v1.1 + DooM 64 Sprites

Post by Pixel Eater »

I'm glad it's ok...

The DooM 64 spectre's sprites are in the opening post now :)
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Fill Spectre v2 + DooM 64 Sprites

Post by Armaetus »

1) Setting "Tolerance" to 0 makes everything all warpy.

2) I am getting a magenta highlight around the spectres.

Port: GZDoom 3.2.1, 32 bit

Specs: AMD FX 8300, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Sapphire RX 480 8GB
Attachments
Screenshot_Doom_20171127_172122.jpg
Screenshot_Doom_20171127_172025.jpg
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

The warpy effect is normal. Think of this effect like a "green screen" that's tuned to magenta but can be made to see all colours with a low tolerance. I call it Spectre Vision (tm) :P

I can't guarantee the outlines can be totally removed under all situations, but if you disable the settings in the added menu's "shortcuts" section that should improve things. Add them back one at a time to see what works for you. The default for Tolerance is also 0.51 for a good starting point.

In the first picture you've posted you can see the problem mentioned in the OP where when Spectres pass in front of each other they gain an opaque shape. This is because the alpha value needed by the shader changes when the sprites combine. Originally it was a bright white shape but the workaround I've used inverts that.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

This mod is producing some strange results for me. I tried on both 3.2.3 and the latest dev build. Same results. It's like theres a different effect applied in each of the 4 quadrants of the screen, split by the crosshair. Any ideas?
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

That looks like you have the depth control set very low, try 1.0. It's basically a pinch/punch effect 8-)
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

Same problem regardless of the settings I use. It does change how it looks, but it still shows the 4 different effects in the 4 quadrants of the screen
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

That's interesting. When you type "gl_fillspectre_depth" into the console what value do you get? I'm thinking it could be a menu problem...

Is anyone else having issues?
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

I tried that and got a value of "1". Here's a video of the problem at different settings

Return to “Shaders”