Fill Spectre v3.1

Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Fill Spectre v3.1

Post by Pixel Eater »

An experimental shader for the Spectre demon. Makes things "shiny".
V3.jpg
While Apeirogon kindly works hard to transform the way Fill Spectre detects it's sprites, I thought I'd do a slight update to the old model. It should look much neater around the edges, with less to no chances for purple to show through (depending on your graphical settings).
FillSpectre3.1.pk3
(131.84 KiB) Downloaded 926 times
Spoiler: Older stuff
Spoiler: Older Info
Last edited by Pixel Eater on Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:18 am, edited 7 times in total.
Nash

Re: Fill Spectre

Post by Nash »

Oh shiiiiiiiiiitttt it's that "Predator stealth suit" effect! I've been wanting to see it in Doom ever since Doom came out! :DDDDD

EDIT: that's a very clever hack (fullscreen post processing with a chroma keying-style "purplescreen"). I wonder if the same technique can be used to approximate screen space reflections (for water planes).
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME!
Nash

Post by Nash »

Tip: you can use "beforebloom" instead of "scene" in your GLDEFS to get rid of the magenta glow that happens when users have bloom turned on.

(Be sure it's all lower case, "BeforeBloom" won't work)
Bauul

Post by Bauul »

Nash wrote:I wonder if the same technique can be used to approximate screen space reflections (for water planes).
I was literally thinking exactly the same thing. How robust a hack is it for us non-coders?
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

I wonder if the same technique can be used to approximate screen space reflections (for water planes).
I was thinking water could benefit somehow. I did the testing using Cyan but switched to Magenta last second, so I know you could run a second effect on that colour.
Tip: you can use "beforebloom" instead of "scene" in your GLDEFS to get rid of the magenta glow that happens when users have bloom turned on.
Ah- I thought I'd read of another option but couldn't find it again. I didn't think to try it with bloom! w:oops:

Thanks, Tormentor :D
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!
That's the coolest effect ever for a monster!!!
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Just checked this shader today, did a brief stream on Facebook for lulz... I will use it somewhere, this could have great uses for special modding and eyecandy stuff. Thanks a lot Pixel Eater!
Pixel Eater

Re: Fill Spectre v1.1

Post by Pixel Eater »

Ok version 1.1 is up. Adding 'beforebloom' has solved a lot of glitches, thanks Nash!
I've been strapped to Photoslop for most of the day and made assets for all of what I think anyone should ever need to make a stealth suit mod :)
That means the blur sphere, player sprites (including crouched), HUD weapons and even projectiles if you want them. I could go the extra mile with the muzzle flashes but I'm spent. It's all in the .zip as seperately loadable .pk3 files if you want to preview what the mod could look like. Thanks folks!
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

I was literally thinking exactly the same thing. How robust a hack is it for us non-coders?
Sorry Bauul, I'm not sure what you mean? I can explain how to create the image files necessary...
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

I would love to add that to AvP mod!
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Ha ha, go for it. That would be perfect 8-)

Ashamed to say, as much of an Alien nut that I am, I know next to nothing about Predator :3:
Nash

Post by Nash »

The problem with this technique is that you can see the original (grey) sprite inside the affected area. Is there any way to fix this?
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

With the right settings I have removed it completely from the HUD weapons but it is necessary for it to work. Lowering the actor's alpha can help too as long as you don't go too low and the shader loses track.
ZippeyKeys12

Post by ZippeyKeys12 »

:shock: This is so fucking awesome, holy shit. Love the spectre effects you've made :wub:

Return to “Shaders”