Sin City shader (Updated - v3)

Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Sin City shader (Updated - v3)

Post by Rachael »

Screenshot_Doom_20170714_132927.png
This shader attempts to mimic some of the atmosphere of the Sin City movie series by accenting some of the reds in an image against a dark picture.
SinCityShader_v3.pk3
Download!
(1.67 KiB) Downloaded 934 times
You are free to use, incorporate into your project, or post derivative works based on this project, as long as you give credit.
Spoiler: old post
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Re: Sin City shader

Post by Slax »

So here's a question and a challenge (?). Would it be possible for the shader to ignore the map (all grayscale/all color) and just focus on sprites?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

A simple PP shader cannot do that. The wall/flat textures themselves can have a fragment shader that allows that, though, but it would have to be assigned to every single texture.

But I see where you're going with that - it would definitely make it a lot more "Sin-City"-like - and that might be worthwhile to implement in this mod, despite how overly simplified I tried to make it. :P
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I'd suggest also changing the tonecurve somehow to make the gray parts darker and the red ones more exhausted, something like this:
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

@Tormentor: I went ahead and did that, but I was a lot more subtle with it - a lot of Doom consists of dark areas, anyway, so going to the extremes as shown in that picture makes the game unplayable. Because it was a quick change, I can post that immediately. Changing the textures, however, will require a bit more work. I plan to do that, though, just not in this iteration. :)
SinCityShader_v2.pk3
(746 Bytes) Downloaded 240 times
Regarding the textures - I've decided I am only going to do some textures. If anyone else wants to use this in their own mod they can add their own textures as needed. I've actually found that having some red on the textures actually creates a very nice and atmospheric accent - so globally removing red from all walls/flats would probably not be that great.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

That's running nice, I like it - but you are right, it's partially very dark :D
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Thank you, Torm. :)
Rachael

Re: Sin City shader (Updated - v3)

Post by Rachael »

Updated OP.

This version grayscales a lot of the textures and images.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I started work in a Noir pk3 a while ago, but I took the hard route and hand-edited every single texture and sprite (mostly with the Threshold option in Photoshop). I chose to retain some colors like blue, red, green and yellow as those occur in the Sin Sity graphic novels as well. Speaking of which, I got my inspiration from the books instead of the movie so there's a lot of stark b&b contrasts. I finished converting all the textures of E1M1 before I got bored ;)

I achieved the fullbright look without distance fading/light falloff by secretely giving the player a custom version of the IR goggles.

I think my version would work very well with custom maps designed for it specifically, so there can be proper shadow effects where only black is used. Kind of like in the Action Doom 2 mod.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14126&p=989699&hil ... om#p989699

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Looks like ZX Spectrum Doom to me.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Yeah, including the RGBY colors was an experiment because the graphic novels do it as well in some instances. I agree that it indeed looks more like a ZXSpectrum game :) Were I to do it again, I'd also use much less white.

Return to “Shaders”