[WIP] RetroShader =Computer Friendly!= Update 4

Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zeberpal

Re: [WIP] RetroShader =Computer Friendly!= Update 4

Post by Zeberpal »

Thank you very much for shader! I asked about this sometime ago somewhere in this forum, and I received a cold answer that it's not possible.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

torridgristle wrote:Can't say I'm pleased that someone is deciding that I shouldn't be able to adjust the size or intensity of GL lights for my own personal experience, the settings in lights.pk3 were arbitrarily designed to begin with.
Agreed. Size I can understand, but why intensity? I've had it set to 0.5(!) since forever to keep lights from looking awful and washed out. It doesn't help that the default Lights.pk3, and everything that came after, uses pure colors. :(

A dynlight saturation slider is very much wanted. Plus an option for new light defs to specify that they already use a reasonable light color. (Slippery slope? Heh...)
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Very slippery slope. Unfortunately having it user customizable like that makes it impossible for a modder to make any assumption about what the player will see. If I design reasonable lights for my mod with the defaults, you'd see them as unreasonably dim and pale. Not that I mod often, but one of my consistent headaches is whether I would need to include some kind of "light calibration" sequence for any highly atmospheric mod I might release.

In this case, it seems we need to adjust the defaults in lights.pk3 to be more reasonable for everyone, since they're a constant source of complaint. That would be a start.

8-)
MG_Man

Post by MG_Man »

I love this! Though, I suggest that EnablePosterization be set to 0 by default, now that Palette tonemapping is built into GZDoom.

It's really rough on certain textures, especially SHAWN2, making it have ugly bands instead of smooth gradients.

I get its purpose is to roughly emulate the 256-color look, but I think the palette tonemap shader does it better
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

Spoiler:
This doesen't look so good, or did I do something wrong?
ShinyCrobat

Post by ShinyCrobat »

This doesn't seem to work anymore on GZDoom 2.4.0, Lens Distortion just doesn't get replaced.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

I'm afraid I have to corroborate that! Might be something to do with the new options layout, maybe?
Sleepyhead

Post by Sleepyhead »

Hopefully the issue isn't too large; I really enjoy RetroShader's crispy pixels and I miss using it.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Would really like to try this, but...
a) needs to work with GZDoom 3.0+ again
b) should be a separate shader option and not replace an existing one (if possible)
Nash

Post by Nash »

I have seen a lot of posts scattered all over the forum about this mod not working, and it seems no one actually stated the obvious (or made it official) so I guess this is the best place to post this:

GZDoom was fixed to not allow mods to overwrite core (gzdoom.pk3) lumps. This mod was made back when it was possible to exploit this "leak" but it has since been plugged... which is why this mod no longer works.

There are 2 things that could happen for this mod to be functional again (both were stated by dpJudas way back in the last page):

1) Someone integrates this shader properly into the engine and sends a PR for it (has a good chance of happening, if someone steps up).
2) GLDEFS is extended to allow user post process shaders. This has been in discussion for +/- probably a year now, across both forums (here and DRD), so we can probably not expect this to happen anytime soon...
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Is there no other way to implement it?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Myself and dpJudas have been discussing binding some custom post processing shaders to the screen texture, pretty much as Nash proposed. Even possibly allowing you to pass simple uniforms into the shader through ZScript.

The big argument against it is that Vulkan won't support it - but personally I believe it's a weak argument, at best, since you can add in a shader compiler in your Vulkan code that compiles the shader into bytecode that Vulkan will execute.

This is not a promise that it will happen - so don't get your hopes up. It's our goal, though, but each of us are working on other projects at the moment, anyway.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

This version works with the latest QZDoom devbuilds. (Sorry Torridgristle, we needed something to develop and test on - but at least it's updated now)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

An even newer update. This should work on QZDoom 2.0.1 (or latest devbuilds, as of this posting).
Attachments
retroshader_qzdoom.pk3
(13.43 KiB) Downloaded 524 times
Nash

Post by Nash »

I was about to ask about the PS1 vertex jiggle but then I remembered that that's a vertex shader, so probably not relevant to post processing... >_<

Return to “Shaders”