News from 5 September 2002

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

randi
Site Admin

News from 5 September 2002

Post by randi »

Now that I've installed a more XP-friendly version of DJGPP, I was able to fix a nasty buffer overrun in ZETH that occurred when selecting a thing's type. This fix is contained in ZETH 4.12.

I do not know when "soon" will be for the next ZDoom. I am putting the finishing touches on it now, which consists primarily of moving some more options into the menus and figuring out how I want to layout the new list of console commands and variables. Since this is something I do in my free time, I cannot adhere to any sort of release schedule.

If you want to see how a mapinfo for the original Doom games looks, I have uploaded example MAPINFOs for The Ultimate Doom and Doom 2. These contain the exact same data for these games as found inside the executable.

It also seems worth mentioning that every map ZDoom loads is automatically converted to a variant of the Hexen format internally. This means you can use Hexen-format maps for Heretic levels as well as for Doom and Hexen. The only editor I know of that currently has a configuration for creating Heretic maps like this is the latest ZETH. I will try to create a zheretic.wcf for WadAuthor sometime before releasing the next ZDoom. You could also take advantage of the fact that the conversion happens for all games and create a Hexen map using the standard Doom/Heretic map format.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”