ZDoom 2.0.97 Bugfix Release

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

randi
Site Admin

ZDoom 2.0.97 Bugfix Release

Post by randi »

I feel bad about sitting on a version of ZDoom with many 2.0.96 bugs fixed for months while I work on 2.1.0, so I have decided to dust off the code I archived before starting the floating point rewrite, compiling it, and making it available as 2.0.97. The last real change in this version was on February 21. It does not contain significant changes from 2.0.96x. Those will appear in 2.1.0 in one form or another. This release's primary goal is to fix bugs that were present in 2.0.96.

However, I did backport the text-based LANGUAGE lump support in 2.1.0, so it does have one new feature.

If you consider it a feature, this version will also compile with MinGW (GCC 3.4.2). Just run "make" in the root source directory.

Quick links:

ZDoom 2.0.97: Game binary (1.0M) | Source code (1.8M) | Source code patch from 2.0.96 (235k)
New ACC 1.36: DOS binary (66k) | Windows binary (31k) | Source code (58k)

Slight update: The original upload of 2.0.97 had unclamped up/down viewing angles. Since polymost isn't ready and these extreme angles look bad with the software renderer, I reclamped them and uploaded a new version.

For the full change list from 2.0.96, see the first comment.
Last edited by randi on Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
randi
Site Admin

Changes for September 28, 2005

Post by randi »

• Released this old code as 2.0.97.
  • Added SetActorAngle and BLOCK_RAILING ACS support from 96x.
  • Backported the text-based LANGUAGE and IMF code from 2.1.0.
  • Updated to zlib 1.2.3.
February 21, 2005
  • Provided alternate versions of the TArray-related friend template functions for the string and name classes. I have no idea which compiler is right, but VC++ is certainly nicer about it.
February 19, 2005
  • Fixed: In C mode, SC_GetString() would not consider '-' to be a token.
  • Added a global name table.
February 18, 2005
  • Added lots of explicit casts and changed some types to turn off 64-bit compatibility warnings.
  • Added a string class I've been playing with for a while now and made some adjustments to TArray so that it can work with non-basic types.
February 11, 2005
  • Removed the MOD_FIRE hack in PIT_RadiusAttack and replaced it with a new thrustless flag to P_RadiusAttack.
  • Removed the multiplayer check from AInventory::ShouldRespawn(). Now the dmflag is always respected, even without alwaysapplydmflags.
  • Added a check for a NULL StatusBar to PlayerIsGone() in d_net.cpp.
  • Fixed: ADehackedPickup::TryPickup() set the MF_DROPPED flag. This flag is now set by default, so it should clear it instead. This kept hacked weapons from staying and respawning, because the RealPickup it tests against was always flagged as dropped.
  • Fixed: The MagePlayer used A_Scream instead of A_PlayerScream when he died.
  • Fixed: The Heresiarch spawned new balls above its head after it killed its target and re-entered its SpawnState.
  • Fixed: Using chasecam while spying on another player would not show that player.
  • Rewrote the spy code to not need displayplayer.
  • Switched to the combination of DirectDrawCreate/QueryInterface to obtain an IDirectDraw2 interface. That should be slightly more compatible, since DirectDrawCreate can create an IDirectDraw interface even if it isn't properly registered.
February 10, 2005
  • Fixed: The screen fading ACS commands did not work when viewing through a camera because FBaseStatusBar::BlendView() did not think there was a player to get those values from. Now, the blend comes from either the player viewing from or the console player if the current view is not from a player.
  • Fixed: Returning to a previously visited level in a hub with fewer players than you had when you left the level would result in "zombie" bodies from the former players. The fix is in G_UnSnapshotLevel(): After restoring the level, any actors that point to a player who is no longer in the game are destroyed.
  • Fixed: P_ExplodeMissile() should zero the projectile's speed before putting it into its DeathState, not after. Strife's flamethrower needs it like this, and I'm not sure when or why it was moved to happen after the state change.
  • Fixed: R_DrawSkyBoxes() needs to save and restory viewx and viewy as well as viewz for drawing masked items.
  • Fixed: P_MorphPlayer() did not properly transfer ownership of inventory items, so when it destroyed the player's armor, it also unlinked anything after the armor in the player's inventory.
  • Fixed: The Hexen players should call A_FireScream() on the first frame of their fire death, not the first shared frame of their fire death.
  • Attached obituaries to the projectiles used by Doom's projectile weapons, so they can have obituaries again. This is just something I put off finishing when I changed from a means-of-death system to a damage type system.
  • Fixed: Pain Elementals did not transfer their friendly flag to the Lost Souls they spawn. And since I've got the same code doing this sort of thing in several places, I replaced them all with a call to the new method AActor::CopyFriendliness.
  • Fixed: Bots are idiots after co-op level changes because the CajunMaster forgets about them and so doesn't tell them to do anything different from what they were when the level change happened.
  • Fixed: G_FinishTravel() needs to retrieve the next player before changing the current one's statnum.
  • Made some fixes to SDLVideo's Lock() and and Update() synchronization.
  • Fixed: DSimpleCanvas::Lock() and ::Unlock() did not properly use the lock count.
  • Fixed: In Strife, the fastCrushAndRaise ceilings (line types 6 and 77) are twice as fast as their Doom counterparts.
  • Fixed: Strife auto-uses the best ammo first, not the worst. I got confused because in Strife ARM1 is the best armor, but in Doom it's ARM2 that is best.
  • Fixed: Strife does not double ammo at it's highest skill level.
  • New: Using Degnin Ore will drop it, similar to the Teleporter Beacon.
  • Fixed: In nightmare skill, every actor is spawned with a reactiontime of 0. This make's Strife's HE Grenades explode immediately, because they use their reactiontime as a countdown timer. The solution: Only set the reactiontime to 0 for monsters. (Strife may not do this at all. I'm not sure.)
February 9, 2005
  • New feature: Missiles with negative damage now give you health.
  • Changed P_GiveBody so that it works with any actor, not just players.
  • Fixed: Picking up a BasicArmorPickup without any existing BasicArmor gave you a new BasicArmor without calling BecomeItem to unlink it from the world. Since there are probably other areas where this happens, and it's kind of easy to forget
  • Added a division-by-0 check to the very end of P_HitSlideLine for the very rare cases when inter3 ends up being 0.
  • Clamped the upmove speed in P_PlayerThink() to avoid super fast speeds from joystick users.
  • Fixed: A_SorcererRaise() did not transfer friendliness info to the new D'Sparil.
  • Added: Trying to use actors that have the UsePuzzleItem special now works just like trying to use a wall with the same special: You use the item if you have it, and you say "hmm" if you don't.
  • Fixed: APuzzleItem::Use() should not remove the item from the inventory but let the caller do it instead.
  • Fixed: P_TranslateLineDef() should clear the ML_MONSTERSCANACTIVATE flag on lines with ML_SECRET set. Otherwise, monsters can open otherwise secret doors in Doom format maps.
  • Renamed the Porkalator's missile sprite from EGGM to PRKM, so it doesn't have the same name as the Morph Ovum's missile.
  • Fixed: The warp cheat was always applied to the local player and not the player who used it.
  • TypeInfo::CreateDerivedClass() now initializes OwnedStates and NumOwnedStates for actors.
  • Fixed: PrepWall and PrepLWall clamped the final texture column so that it was not visible unless it was fully visible.
  • Fixed writing of RDosPlay raw songs. It was a very very very stupid mistake: I had the order of the register and data bytes reversed. Now it works fine, and since it took me a while to figure out the problem, ZDoom can now play raw OPL songs.
February 7, 2005
  • Added the writeopl command to write a song in RDosPlay raw OPL format. It's usage is:
    writeopl [songname] <filename> If the currently playing song is a MUS song being played through the OPL emulation, then you just need to specify the filename. Otherwise, you need to provide the songname (such as D_E1M1) as well. Unfortunately, the result is unplayable with AdPlug, so I must be doing something wrong.
February 4, 2005
  • Merged in Graf Zahl's Caverns of Darkness patch.
  • Fixed: Using the screenshot command to specify a filename without any extension automatically adds the extension.
February 3, 2005
  • Played around with polymost some more. The good: Wall projection is now totally independant of the non-polymost code, so walls don't get clipped to what would have been the screen boundaries without true look up/down. With the filled polygon mode, it looks awesome. The bad: I'm getting precision problems when clipping the left side of walls to SCISDIST. This problem is not present when clipping the right side, and it's not present in jfDuke, so what am I doing wrong? Setting SCISDIST to a large value like 128 makes the problem disappear, but that's much too large. Someday, when it can handle doing a second pass to draw behind you, SCISDIST needs to be as small as possible to avoid a visible gap between the front and back views.
February 2, 2005
  • Added a damagetype parameter to AActor::TakeSpecialDamage(). The default implementation of this function now uses it to reject damage if the actor doesn't have a matching death state. (Meaning, you can leave an actor without a normal death state, and it will only take damage from special attacks.) Since this negates the need for A_TreeDeath, that function is gone.
  • Fixed: The adjustment for negative y-offset, non-power-of-2-height textures is now only done for textures aligned at the top and not the bottom.
  • Fixed: APowerFlight::DrawPowerup() did not check if SPFLY0 actually existed before using it.
  • Fixed: P_SpeekerMissile() did not check for zero-speed actors, so you could get a division by zero error if it needed to move vertically.
January 30, 2005
  • Threw together a quick mock-up of a polymost-based renderer. It is essentially just the standard software renderer with some parts commented out and the clipping done with polymost instead of a few one-dimensional arrays. The display itself is just the standard view with the polymost view overlayed in wireframe.
January 29, 2005
  • Fixed: BOOM-style carrying floors that use speeds values less than STOPSPEED no longer change the actor's momx and momy but are passed as extra parameters to P_XYMovement(). Faster speeds still change momx and momy, so conveyor belts can fling objects off of them.
  • Fixed: Items in inventory would "scroll" on scrolling floors.
  • Fixed: Every place that copies the friendly flag from one actor to another also needs to copy the FriendPlayer.
  • Fixed: In A_Chase(), a friend's selection of target based on who last hurt the player did not take into consideration that a friend may have accidentally hurt the player.
  • Fixed: P_NightmareRespawn() did not copy a monster's custom translation to its new body.
  • Fixed: FMODStreamCapsule::Play() did not record the channel the stream was playing on, so you could not change its volume during playback.
  • Added the sucktime mapinfo option. This is the time, in hours, that the player must play before the intermission tells them their time sucks. If this is 0, then they cannot suck. If they do suck, their time is still shown (unlike Doom) in the normal spot, with the suck above it. I had to shift the positions of the time displays in the Doom intermission a little so that there was room for the hour field. This is also retrievable with the GetLevelInfo() command by passing LEVELINFO_SUCK_TIME.
  • Fixed: Using the suicide cheat on the "end of game hell hack" on E1M8 would infinitely loop because that sector type actually prevents you from dying, but the cheat code was waiting for you to die.
January 27, 2005
  • Added mouse handling to the testpolymost screen so that I can actually drive it. That let me find a few more bugs in my port of the code that needed to be fixed.
January 26, 2005
  • Changed the Puffy actor (used by Heretic's weredragon/beast's fireball trail) to do 0 damage. Similarly, A_LastZap() now sets the projectile it spawns to do 0 damage so it can be once again like Hexen.
  • Fixed: Picking up an ammo item for the first time with more than the max amount for that ammo type would let you get more than the max.
  • Fixed: Specifying a defaultmap in MAPINFO disabled lax monster activation checking instead of deducing it from the game's Hexen/not-Hexen status.
  • Fixed: Mirrors were accumulated to the WallMirrors list while viewing the automap, so after you turned the map off, a few thousand mirrors could be processed, resulting in a noticable delay before the view became visible.
  • Added support for using the Teleport_NewMap class of specials with title maps so that you can use more than one map as a title map. Using the gametype() ACS function will return GAME_TITLE_MAP if the map is being used for a title display instead of regular play.
  • Added a fourth parameter to ThrustThing to accept a TID of something to thrust.
  • Fixed: Deactivating an actor mover without activating it first reset its target's flags to 0.
  • Fixed: Picking up two or more berserk packs only gave the red tinting for the first one.
  • Fixed: Monsters following a path entered their see state whenever they reached a patrol point. I don't know what I was thinking when I did that.
  • Fixed: Since pre-2.0.90 demos no longer play back, they should be rejected without even trying to play them. Similarly, new demos need to be recorded indicating they won't play back with earlier game versions. Unfortunately, I didn't bump the demo version between 2.0.63a and 2.0.90, so anything pre-2.0.97 won't play with 2.0.97, even though there's probably no changes that would cause desynching between 96 and 97. Oh well.
  • Fixed FBaseStatusBar::DrBNumber(Outer) to work when some of the big number graphics are missing.
January 15, 2005
  • Fixed: ACS cos and sin were using signed shifts when calculating the fineangle.
January 13, 2005
  • Fixed: Instead of assigning the empty sound a basepriority of -1000, S_StartSound() should not even attempt to play it.
  • Fixed: FCanvasTextureInfo::Add() did not change the FOV when reassigning an existing camera->texture mapping.
  • Fixed: SetCameraToTexture did not check if the texture name actually existed as a texture. It just assumed it did.
January 10, 2005
  • Fixed: P_MorphPlayer() needs to set the player's momx and momy to 0, because morphing doesn't maintain the player's momentum.
  • Fixed: The Cyberdemon, SpiderMastermind, AlienSpectre*, Crusader, and Programmer need MF3_DONTMORPH set. Otherwise, morphing them and killing them before they unmorph will skip any of their special death actions. Technically, the Inquisitor doesn't need it set, but he's a boss monster, so it seems best if he can't be morphed. (For that matter, should any of the mechanical monsters in Strife be morphable, since they're not organic?)
  • Redid: Invnext and invprev wrap around the inventory list.
  • Unmorphing a player now removes the weapon(s) they received in their morphed form.
  • Redid the dehsupp fix from March 22, 2002.
January 8, 2005
  • Fixed: Dead players could still be morphed, at least with the morphme cheat. I'm not sure if morph projectiles did it or not, but now they definitely don't.
  • Added a call to SN_StopAllSequences() inside S_StopAllChannels(). This prevents moving sector sounds from playing during the finale (and any other time when sound effects were supposed to have been stopped).
  • Fixed: R_DetailDouble() must not do anything when viewactive is false.
January 7, 2005
  • Ported the polymost visualization code from Ken's prototype so that I can verify the correctness of my C++ port. Which was not quite correct. :-(
January 5, 2005
  • Fixed: R_SetupBuffer() calculated ylookup for the height of the screen, and not the height of the render target. This meant using camera textures taller than the screen would probably crash. But wait! There's more! new_visplane must also allocate top and bottom arrays wide enough for any view, not just the screen. So I decided to just make it allocate enough for MAXWIDTH.
  • Removed some possible unused variable warnings spewed by GCC.
  • Fixed: The parser for DEM_SUMMON(FRIEND) tested if type was NULL when it should have tested typeinfo instead.
  • Changed the actor defaults for GCC to use a function to initialize the default actors instead of an initializer list. With newer GCC versions, I can no longer count on variables being emitted in the same order they are defined, so using an initializer list is impossible. This looks like it adds ~300k to the executable, which I suppose isn't too bad.
January 4, 2005
  • Changed the object pointer offset lists to not be const when compiling with GCC. Some versions and options cause GCC to try to initialize them at run-time, even though they are read-only and therefor protected from writing.
  • Added Makefiles for building with MinGW. Since Chris did the hard part by posting a Makefile for the main exe on the forum, I only needed to make Makefiles for the auxilliary projects. And then I spent some time porting ccdv to Win32, so the make output will look pretty.
January 3, 2005
  • Fixed: The self-modifying code in tmap3.nas was still in the .data section instead of .rtext, so it couldn't be used with data-execution prevention enabled.
January 1, 2005
  • Fixed: ParseDecorate() needlessly allocated new TypeInfo objects.
  • Fixed: The status bar constructor did not initialize CPlayer. Thus, when the Doom status bar's AttachToPlayer method was called it would not do the proper face initialization if the status bar was freed and then reallocated in the exact same spot. This bug didn't show up in the debug build, because the debug CRT automatically fills newly freed and allocated memory.
  • Fixed: P_SpawnMapThing() does not need a special check for the Lost Soul.
Last edited by randi on Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HobbsTiger1

Post by HobbsTiger1 »

Randy I think I love you (not in that way you perverts).
killingblair

Post by killingblair »

HobbsTiger1 wrote:Randy I think I love you.
Seconded.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Updated the main page of the wiki FGJ (™)
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

愛しい. sf.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

Yay! Now the health projector is possible!
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

/clap
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Download page wrote: Quick link to the latest version: ZDoom 2.0.97 for Windows. Use the link above if you want source code.

If you have problems with 2.0.97 and don't care about Strife, you can try ZDoom 2.0.63a instead.
It's about time that the order was changed. ;)
Killer_Of_Doom

Post by Killer_Of_Doom »

This rock's. Keep up the good work randy. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

You can't give him 2.0.63a if a WAD requires features in x, where 2.0.63(a) < x < 2.0.97.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

where's decorate weapons support! promise you did!
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

This is only a bugfix release. Wait for 2.1.0 for DECORATE weapons.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

when's that coming out again? /500 years later.
*asks again.*
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

It was only ¾ years this time.
And this version was made only two months after .96

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”