ZDoom 2.0.97 Bugfix Release

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Enjay

Post by Enjay »

doom2day wrote:When are you going to update the dos version? :?:
I don't think that's likely to happen. The DOS version is many years old (read 6) and is waaaaay behind on features. It's version 1.17c. There have been a huge number of significant releases since then. I would imagine by now the code is massively different, and with the major changes on the way for 2.1.0, it's going to be even further out of step. As the DL page says

"It is here only for those who cannot run a more recent version for some reason."
udderdude

Post by udderdude »

Well atleast the Heretic bugs are fixed. :P
solarsnowfall

Post by solarsnowfall »

Grubber wrote:Hmm...

/me is going to make .97x (probably...)
I can think of a few projects that are using 96x, and could move to 97, without losing some DECORATE masterpieces, if you did this.
Grubber

Post by Grubber »

That's exactly what I have in mind...I've already done porting .96x code to .97 source but there are some 64bit issues (pointer truncation, cast to type of greater size and similar warnings when compiling).
exp(x)

Post by exp(x) »

How does one compile the patched source for linux?

I tried executing cbuild.c, but it gives me this error:

Code: Select all

admin@nescientia:~/zdoom$./cbuild.c
nasm -o "releaseobj/a.o" -f elf -DM_TARGET_LINUX "src/a.nas"
nasm -o "releaseobj/blocks.o" -f elf -DM_TARGET_LINUX "src/blocks.nas"
nasm -o "releaseobj/misc.o" -f elf -DM_TARGET_LINUX "src/misc.nas"
nasm -o "releaseobj/tmap.o" -f elf -DM_TARGET_LINUX "src/tmap.nas"
nasm -o "releaseobj/tmap2.o" -f elf -DM_TARGET_LINUX "src/tmap2.nas"
nasm -o "releaseobj/tmap3.o" -f elf -DM_TARGET_LINUX "src/tmap3.nas"
Compiling src/autostart.cpp...
cc1plus: error: invalid option `tune=athlon-xp'
If it helps, I am using the AMD64 build of Ubuntu Hoary.
Sander

Post by Sander »

Since your compiler complains about -mtune being an invalid option, I suppose you have older version of gcc. Older versions of gcc used -mcpu, in newer versions -mcpu is deprecated (still available, but not recommended), and replaced by -mtune.

You should be able to compile zdoom by changing -mtune into -mcpu in default.cbd.
exp(x)

Post by exp(x) »

Hmm, that fixed that problem, but now I have another:
Spoiler:
Sander

Post by Sander »

Hmm I don't know for sure, but my first guess would be that it could have something to do with wrong optimizations. By default, Chris' patch sets the minimum architecture to pentium and optimizes for athlon-xp. If this isn't the kind of machine you have, try changing ARCH_TYPE and TUNE_TYPE in default.cbd. I myself have an old pentium II machine, so I used i686 for both ARCH_TYPE and TUNE_TYPE. Again, I'm not sure if this is the problem, but you could give it a try...
Look through the gcc manpage ("man gcc"), for possible architectures, based on your previous post I would guess you need "athlon64".
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

I have no idea if ZDoom will compile properly in 64-bit mode. What version of GCC do you have? You should try to get the latest (3.4.4) if possible.
exp(x)

Post by exp(x) »

I have gcc 3.3 and gcc 4.0. For some reason, Ubunutu won't let me uninstall 3.3 and use only 4.0. I tried setting the CC environment variable to gcc-4.0, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I also have a 32-bit chroot, so if I need to, I can compile to a 32-bit target. Do you have a precompiled binary that I can try?
Chris

Post by Chris »

I do have a precompiled binary here (got it down to 944K with strip and upx), but I have no idea if it'll work on another machine. The executable and wad are 1.1M bzipped.
http://kcat.strangesoft.net/ZDoom-2.0.97.tar.bz2
exp(x)

Post by exp(x) »

Wonderful, that worked perfectly in my chroot. The only problem is that I don't have sound because I use ESD instead of ALSA. Would you have to recompile it for ESD to work or is there some sort of command promt option I can use? Thanks alot.
Chris

Post by Chris »

You should be able to use "./zdoomgcc +snd_output esd" on the command line. You can also try oss, if you have that.
exp(x)

Post by exp(x) »

Hmm, it works now, but there is a delay between when the sound should play and when it does play. The music is also kind of messed up. OSS didn't work at all.
Chris

Post by Chris »

The delay is probably caused by ESD. ESD and ARTS aren't very real-time friendly. Try to turn down the buffer size with ESD's config (not sure how to do that). Alternatively, you can try setting snd_buffersize, but I have no idea if that'll work.

And what do you mean by the music being messed up?

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”