ZDoom 2.0.97 Bugfix Release

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

exp(x)

Post by exp(x) »

snd_buffersize doesn't make any difference. Increasing the sample rate to max actually decreased the delay to where it's almost bearable, but it didn't fix the music. The music is all slow and echoey; it's hard to describe. Maybe when I have some free time, I'll try switching everything over to ALSA.

UPDATE: Installing ALSA fixed both the sound delay and the messed up music. Thank you very much for all of your help.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Randy, why do you still provide DOS versions of ACS when there's practically noone to use it? (Since there is no DOS version of ZDoom or Skulltag.)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Because WadAuthor can't use the Windows version. I'm still wondering what utterly lousy hack the author of that thought of to make it that incompatible...
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

Offtopic, but how old is WadAuthor, and is it still being worked on?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

WadAuthor was last updated in 1997 and AFAIK is not being worked on anymore - but there's still lots of people who use it so it can't be easily dismissed.
zloba

Post by zloba »

Chris:
I do have a precompiled binary here (got it down to 944K with strip and upx), but I have no idea if it'll work on another machine. The executable and wad are 1.1M bzipped.
1. How does it look for libFLAC++ ?

Code: Select all

$ ./zdoomgcc 
./zdoomgcc: error while loading shared libraries: libFLAC++.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/flac-1.1.0/lib/ ./zdoomgcc 
./zdoomgcc: error while loading shared libraries: libFLAC++.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
$ ldd zdoomgcc 
        not a dynamic executable
2. Your patch got merged, but when will the whole thing be released?

3. Did you publish a patch, as usual? Couldn't find it, and the Wiki only mentions .96
(I already patched it using the .96 patch, just asking)

4. I suppose there is no public code repository (like Subversion). Has this been discussed? Would be nice.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

There should be a patch earlier in this thread (edit: here). As for ldd not recognizing it as a dynamic executable, that's probably because it's UPX compressed. Use upx -d to docompress it and try again. Do you have a libFLAC++.so? What version is it?
zloba

Post by zloba »

Chris:
Do you have a libFLAC++.so? What version is it?
I had flac-1.1.0, it contains libFLAC++.so.2
now, I compiled flac-1.1.2, and it has libFLAC++.so.5
yours looks for .so.4, so it was compiled against flac-1.1.1

That's the trouble with these ugly shared libraries - so fragile, inflexible, gotta have them all..

Anyway, I compiled flac 1.1.1 and spoon-fed it that and gcc-3.4.3, and it worked! (Chris's binary, I mean)
The moral of this story is: this sucks. :)

Would be nice to have a Linux binary distro without any such dependencies.. I'll try to make one, maybe.
There should be a patch earlier in this thread
D-oh! Anyway, I updated the Wiki, hopefully people will be able to find this stuff without looking all over the forum, 'cause it's a different place every time ;)
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

zloba wrote:I had flac-1.1.0, it contains libFLAC++.so.2
now, I compiled flac-1.1.2, and it has libFLAC++.so.5
yours looks for .so.4, so it was compiled against flac-1.1.1
You could try making a symlink for .4 that points to .5. I don't know if they're ABI compatible, though.
That's the trouble with these ugly shared libraries - so fragile, inflexible, gotta have them all..
DLLs are worse, actually. It's just that when you link against a library that happens to be the symlink, it sets the dependancy on the symlink target, instead of the symlink itself (ZDoom was linked against libFLAC++.so, but on my system that's a symlink to libFLAC++.so.4, which is what the dependancy gets set as).

Either that, or it linked with libFLAC++.la, which lists the dlname as 'libFLAC++.so.4'. It's either a GCC or autotools problem, not the OS's.
zloba

Linux: not finding savegames

Post by zloba »

2 Chris:

your patch is missing the fix for finding savegames in ~/.zdoom/

patch attached.
Attachments
patch.txt
patch for finding savegames in ~/.zdoom
(1.53 KiB) Downloaded 310 times

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”