GZDoom 4.8.0 released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

[Tap Here for Mobile-Friendly Forums]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: GZDoom 4.8.0 released

Postby Ulukai » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:27 pm

"giveall" command is now "give all". Is it a premeditated change? Are there other changes like this?
Ulukai

Postby wildweasel » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:05 pm

Ulukai wrote:"giveall" command is now "give all". Is it a premeditated change? Are there other changes like this?

I don't recall it ever being "giveall"? "Give" was always a command that takes an extra argument. I'm not sure why it would have ever been all one word.
wildweasel
I pay the bills around here, I can talk about the control group all damn day
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:07 pm

Maybe some mod created an alias "giveall" that somehow stuck around. This never existed as a native CCMD.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Ulukai » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:10 pm

Thanks. I'm sure you're right, I wouldn't have thought of that possibility. I'll check. Thanks again, good job with GZDoom, I really enjoy it.
Ulukai

Postby brick » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:12 am

Thanks for the update. Lots of great new features, I'm looking forward to figuring out the cutscene system, especially since it seems we can finally have an intro before the first map without all the old hacks! It seems the formats it supports for video playback are very specific (unless I misunderstood), are there plans to eventually expand it to include formats like mp4 or avi, or is that still undesirable?

The only problem I'm having is I think related to the separation of pauseinbackground and soundinbackground, the game always pauses now when I alt-tab (I don't think this was default, at least not when soundinbackground was on), is there a game configuration for pauseinbackground in the menus, or must this be set manually in console or config file?
brick

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby KynikossDragonn » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:48 pm

brick wrote:Thanks for the update. Lots of great new features, I'm looking forward to figuring out the cutscene system, especially since it seems we can finally have an intro before the first map without all the old hacks! It seems the formats it supports for video playback are very specific (unless I misunderstood), are there plans to eventually expand it to include formats like mp4 or avi, or is that still undesirable?

The only problem I'm having is I think related to the separation of pauseinbackground and soundinbackground, the game always pauses now when I alt-tab (I don't think this was default, at least not when soundinbackground was on), is there a game configuration for pauseinbackground in the menus, or must this be set manually in console or config file?

The cutscene system is really easy actually, it's already documented in several relevant wiki pages.

A basic example (for a intro playing when starting from a new episode):
Code: Select allExpand view
episode map01
{
   name = "$TXT_DZE1"
   key = "h"
   intro
   {
      video = "graphics/videos/test.ivf"
      sound = "graphics/videos/test.ogg"
   }
}

What's not easy is the formats. The VP8 video codec can only be used as a raw IVF file, the audio needs to be a separate file. And I've noticed if you try to use a CRF encoded (as referenced in the FFMPEG encode guide link) VP8 it refuses to decode, but a regular "VBR" encoded video works fine.

On top of this, it might be prudent to make sure your videos are 4:3 otherwise the engine zooms them in, causing the extent sides to spill out of the screen and not be displayed. (this is just something I've experienced trying to playback a standard "480p" video as YouTube refers to the resolution as)
KynikossDragonn
『霧雨魔理沙のペットドラゴン』

Twitch ID: kynikossdragonn
Github ID: KynikossDragonn
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:54 pm

KynikossDragonn wrote:On top of this, it might be prudent to make sure your videos are 4:3 otherwise the engine zooms them in, causing the extent sides to spill out of the screen and not be displayed. (this is just something I've experienced trying to playback a standard "480p" video as YouTube refers to the resolution as)

That shouldn't happen, actually. The default should be the same as for fullscreen images, i.e. either letterbox or pillarbox them if the aspect ratio differs from the screen.
Graf Zahl

Postby shino1 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:30 am

The cutscene article says that cutscene can be played using "screen job ZScript API" but I cannot actually find any documentation about that. Is this described anywhere, or used in a place where I can read the code and learn from it?
shino1

Discord: shino1#6558

Postby Gez » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:54 am

Gez

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:12 am

If you want some example code about how to define custom cutscenes, you can have a look at Raze where all intermissions have been done with this.
Graf Zahl

Postby shino1 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:35 am

Gez wrote:The relevant files are zscript/ui/intermission.zs and zscript/engine/screenjob.zs.
Graf Zahl wrote:If you want some example code about how to define custom cutscenes, you can have a look at Raze where all intermissions have been done with this.

Thank you!
shino1

Discord: shino1#6558

Previous

Return to ZDoom (and related) News