Experimental release based on GZDoom 4.6.0 and GLES branch

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

[Tap Here for Mobile-Friendly Forums]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: Experimental release based on GZDoom 4.6.0 and GLES bran

Postby ReX » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:26 pm

Redneckerz wrote:Download the latest drivers. However, the HD3000 is a generation older than what i use (HD4600). Runs 60 fps however.

The latest drivers get installed every time I do a Win 10 update. In the past year I have had to revert to older drivers, which allowed a "custom" version of GZDooM (created by drfrag) to run. With subsequent Win 10 updates I am unable to run either the custom version or the GLES version, regardless of which drivers I use.
ReX
Title? I don't need no steenkin' title!

Postby Redneckerz » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:36 am

ReX wrote:
Redneckerz wrote:Download the latest drivers. However, the HD3000 is a generation older than what i use (HD4600). Runs 60 fps however.

The latest drivers get installed every time I do a Win 10 update. In the past year I have had to revert to older drivers, which allowed a "custom" version of GZDooM (created by drfrag) to run. With subsequent Win 10 updates I am unable to run either the custom version or the GLES version, regardless of which drivers I use.

Maybe the new 4.7.0 is of use?
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Phredreeke » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:06 pm

We've had users on the BuildGDX Discord with similar issues.

Intel never put out a driver for Sandy Bridge GPUs on Windows 10, so instead it defaults to a generic driver Microsoft supplies which lacks OpenGL support.
Phredreeke

Discord: phredreeke#6500

Postby drfrag » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:55 pm

The only thing the custom build did was that you didn't need to run it in win8 compatibility mode as i said.
I find strange that win10 is no longer compatible with win8 drivers. But yes you should never have "upgraded" to 10, performance on old hardware is much worse. And i should never have installed it here btw, i should have installed 8.1 instead even when my machine is from 2018. And those shitty big updates degraded it even more, as if it weren't bad enough already. There's a lot of system junk taking away a good amount of ram and causing 100% disk usage.
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Postby ReX » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:05 am

Redneckerz wrote:
ReX wrote:Maybe the new 4.7.0 is of use?

Yes, I saw the news about v4.7.0. I just didn't have time to read through and figure out if it incorporates GLES support or if I'd need to use a forked version of v4.7.0

[EDIT: I just read Graf's announcement about v4.7.0, and it clearly states in the first sentence that GLES support is incorporated. Bad me.

Phredreeke wrote:Intel never put out a driver for Sandy Bridge GPUs on Windows 10, so instead it defaults to a generic driver Microsoft supplies which lacks OpenGL support.

Yes, this is what has clearly been the source of all my issues with Win10 since last year. Graf had suggested I also install Linux, for which the intel drivers provide adequate support. However, not being sufficiently tech savvy in dual installs, I am reluctant to proceed until I have educated myself.

drfrag wrote:I find strange that win10 is no longer compatible with win8 drivers.... There's a lot of system junk taking away a good amount of ram and causing 100% disk usage.

The OS itself works fine for every other application that I need (e.g., MS Office productivity suite, browsers, SLADE, etc.) But I have noticed that the computer (laptop) gets quite hot with even just an hour of moderately heavy use. This must be because of increased RAM & disk usage.
ReX
Title? I don't need no steenkin' title!

Previous

Return to ZDoom (and related) News