LZDoom 3.86a released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: LZDoom 3.86a released

Post by Graf Zahl »

Then you'd have an exclusive feature. I'll be honest - I do not want it in GZDoom. I personally would actually consider ditching softpoly at some point in the future when this old crap hardware no longer matters. For me the Softpoly backend constitutes a genuine piece of baggage that's only needed to satisfy a small minority of users that are better served by a port dedicated to low end hardware with some specific optimizations like the distance culling feature.
mjr4077au
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mjr4077au »

Does that mean there would be a true 8-bit colour mode for the hardware renderer as well, instead of using a tonemap? If only I had the chops to work implement that...

EDIT: I guess not, should have refreshed before posting!
Last edited by mjr4077au on Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sinisterseed »

Graf Zahl wrote:Then you'd have an exclusive feature. I'll be honest - I do not want it in GZDoom. I personally would actually consider ditching softpoly at some point in the future when this old crap hardware no longer matters. For me the Softpoly backend constitutes a genuine piece of baggage that's only needed to satisfy a small minority of users that are better served by a port dedicated to low end hardware with some specific optimizations like the distance culling feature.
B-but... the COLORMAP...

Games like Heretic and Hexen look so boring and flat in GL/Vulkan.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Then an EDuke-style palette emulation mode would be the option - but don't expect dynamic lights to work in that.
Actually, now that the backend is unified that thing is actually viable, if I found the time to finalize it for Raze.
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

Graf Zahl wrote:Then an EDuke-style palette emulation mode would be the option - but don't expect dynamic lights to work in that.
Actually, now that the backend is unified that thing is actually viable, if I found the time to finalize it for Raze.
I was going to ask you about that actually as I had the same thoughts. Would make a great inclusion for 4 5.0 :D.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:Then you'd have an exclusive feature. I'll be honest - I do not want it in GZDoom. I personally would actually consider ditching softpoly at some point in the future when this old crap hardware no longer matters. For me the Softpoly backend constitutes a genuine piece of baggage that's only needed to satisfy a small minority of users that are better served by a port dedicated to low end hardware with some specific optimizations like the distance culling feature.
I've never expected such hostility towards this feature, from you. Especially since SoftPoly is coded to be a backend just like Vulkan, which from GZDoom's perspective both are written to emulate OpenGL anyhow.

As far as I know, the old hardware was not even the primary use case for SoftPoly.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Right the opposite here, i'm mainly interested in software rendering and softpoly is the default backend. ZDoom ran on software so LZDoom has to run on software, even the OpenGL backend is optional at compile time. Not that i feel a strange fascination for old hardware. For me it would be a great feature and of course i'm interested, i'm interested on everything dpJudas wants to add and the sole reason he added it is enough to keep it unless he decides to remove it himself.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Until software-style sprite clipping (like in Strife VE but portal-friendly) is added into GZDoom, software renderers in GZDoom will continue to remain relevant.

Seriously, sprite billboards sinking into the floor/ceiling/walls is just as sucky-looking.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sinisterseed »

Nash wrote:Until software-style sprite clipping (like in Strife VE but portal-friendly) is added into GZDoom, software renderers in GZDoom will continue to remain relevant.

Seriously, sprite billboards sinking into the floor/ceiling/walls is just as sucky-looking.
Unfortunately, a better option needs to be found first. From what I understand, what Strife:VE and presumably Doom 64 EX did is actually pretty CPU intensive, which may work for smaller maps and the IWADs that have fewer enemies and sprites in general, but for something with lots of enemies... I don't think it would be a good idea. Or maybe it will, I'm not a guru myself.

But I agree that the sprite clipping issues are very annoying after a while. Smart/Smarter has their bottom cut off, while "Always" or "Full" in PrBoom can lead to instances where the sprites literally look like they're floating in midair. It's a very dumb-looking sight but it is what it is.

Also NOICE if a palette emulation a la EDuke is now doable. No more flat ugliness in wads and games that rely heavily on COLORMAPs to look even better than they otherwise would.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: LZDoom 3.86 released

Post by Hirogen2 »

Redneckerz wrote:It reads like a processor name though (LZDoom 386)
The pareidolia of modern times…
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

The newest dev build LZDoom has a nasty problem. Screen freeze. (lzdoom-x64-3.86a-51-g1af7e9ac8.7z Sep 06 2020)
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

This is the news topic not the project thread, that said i'm playing with that version. viewtopic.php?f=231&t=62157

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”