GZDoom 4.3.1 released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Enjay

Re: GZDoom 4.3.1 released

Post by Enjay »

Thank you very much for this new version and to all contributors for their continued hard work. :yup:
Eonfge
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Eonfge »

Graf Zahl wrote:4.2.4 Linux had roughly 3600 downloads over the last 2 months.
Here's the actual numbers for the various packages:
gzdoom-4-2-4-macOS.dmg (15.48 MiB) - downloaded 3,667 times. Last updated on 2019-11-04
gzdoom-4-2-4-Windows-32bit.zip (11.17 MiB) - downloaded 10,315 times. Last updated on 2019-11-03
gzdoom-4-2-4-Windows-64bit.zip (12.50 MiB) - downloaded 3,741 times. Last updated on 2019-11-03
gzdoom-4-2-4a-Windows-64bit.zip (12.54 MiB) - downloaded 66,394 times. Last updated on 2019-11-04
gzdoom_4.2.4_amd64.deb (11.29 MiB) - downloaded 3,148 times. Last updated on 2019-11-04
gzdoom_4.2.4_i386.deb (10.03 MiB) - downloaded 488 times. Last updated on 2019-11-04
Wow, those are some serious numbers It's hard to believe that there are 40.000 downloads a month for a 25 year old game. Then again, it shows how awesome Doom is. Also fun, with 4.5% being Linux users, that's about 400% above the Steam hardware survey Linux user estimates.

The first release of GZDoom on Flathub was 10 September 2019, so the year figures I just mentioned are really only of the last 4 months. Interpolating the data, in the time that there are 3600 downloads from the website, there are 500 downloads from Flathub. Not bad.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The real Linux share is even higher. The last survey said 6%, apparently many are self-compiling the code instead of downloading the package.
That 40000 downloads per month number has been nearly constant for quite some time, btw.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

Graf Zahl wrote:apparently many are self-compiling the code instead of downloading the package.
Not necessarily. Those numbers also don't count those subscribed to the apt repository. (Or any third party repositories which carry GZDoom.) I don't track downloads from the repo, but just going by the most recent access logs it's probably somewhere between 300-3,000 people.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The Downloads page still points to the old version, although all builds are online now.
mjr4077au
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mjr4077au »

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know about two things if I may?

1. Is Vulkan still considered 'experimental'? Having it as a boolean in the launcher indicates perhaps not, but the menu still advertises it as experimental.
2. Unless I'm mistaken, I think the SoftPoly renderer isn't working. When I look up and down in either SoftPoly or True Colour SoftPoly, I just get Y-shearing instead of a true 3D render.

Cheers,
Mitch.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

1) Not really, it should be fine - but there's still the risk that on some poorly designed maps with stupid portal effects it may crash because those maps can overflow some buffers.
2) That old softpoly renderer was removed in favor of the new software backend for the hardware renderer. We just forgot to remove the now obsolete settings in the menu.
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

Graf Zahl wrote:1) Not really, it should be fine - but there's still the risk that on some poorly designed maps with stupid portal effects it may crash because those maps can overflow some buffers.
2) That old softpoly renderer was removed in favor of the new software backend for the hardware renderer. We just forgot to remove the now obsolete settings in the menu.
Thanks, I see how that works now (and that it's been fixed in master).

I'm probably best off putting a bug report in, but there's some performance regressions with it (Would get ~50fps using TC SoftPoly, now only ~28-29fps). Is that unexpected?

My next and final two question:

1. Any chance of the 8-bit SoftPoly returning? It's a bit lighter and I'm fond of the limited palette :)
2. How would one force the software renderer to use DX9 should they wish to, or is it pure fallback only?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The performance regression is to be expected. Softpoly never implemented the full feature set of the hardware renderer which made it faster - but also far less precise.

1) I wouldn't expect it. The current softpoly renderer sits at a far lower level where palettes and color maps no longer exist.
2) Choose the softpoly backend in the startup dialog.
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

Graf Zahl wrote:The performance regression is to be expected. Softpoly never implemented the full feature set of the hardware renderer which made it faster - but also far less precise.

1) I wouldn't expect it. The current softpoly renderer sits at a far lower level where palettes and color maps no longer exist.
2) Choose the softpoly backend in the startup dialog.
Teddipetzi

Post by Teddipetzi »

Is there a reason why the download page still links to 4.2.4?
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Teddipetzi wrote:Is there a reason why the download page still links to 4.2.4?
Lag of time most likely. It got updated on the forum though.

I imagine making a change there either takes more time than everything else or Graf/Rachael simply forgot about it.

Ill apologise in due advance for not having a more sensational possible reason as to why. :wink:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Teddipetzi wrote:Is there a reason why the download page still links to 4.2.4?

Links are fixed now.
Apprentice

Post by Apprentice »

Details
  • implement ccmd 'togglehud' for taking screenshots
[/list][/quote]
Since I made the suggestion: it works like a charm . . . :D

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”