GZDoom 4.2.0 released.

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

jets

Re: GZDoom 4.2.0 released.

Post by jets »

Just for info, 4.1.3 is the last to run under XP apparently.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

You should not be using XP this long after it's been deprecated. You're doing yourself an extreme disservice by doing so, leaving yourself open to security flaws that you'll never be able to anticipate. Microsoft called it quits on XP more than 5 years ago, now, and XP users are lucky if Microsoft even bothers pushing security fixes for it - which they only do for extremely serious things.

Also, the numbers of XP users is shrinking at an extremely rapid rate - as evidenced by the fact that it took this long for someone to notice that.

If you've got an old chugger that simply can't run Windows Vista or 7 (the former of which is also dead, the latter of which soon will be), consider installing Linux Mint, instead. It's extremely easy to use and it will make your system last a little bit longer - and be more secure - until you can do a proper hardware upgrade with a more recent Windows OS.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

jets wrote:Just for info, 4.1.3 is the last to run under XP apparently.

Yes, it was even publicly announced that XP support was dropped and the reason why this had to be done.
That's the risk you always run when using outdated soft- and hardware.
jets

Post by jets »

I use several systems in my case. After it is also a pleasure (or not lol) to maintain an old system in place (for example retroach that goes very far with that).
BFeely
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by BFeely »

Is the survey code mandatory?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Mandatory for what?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

There is an option to opt-out and it pops up when you start GZDoom. But keep in mind that if you do, you decrease the representative sample size of your particular hardware setup. If you have older hardware, it really is in your best interest to participate.
zhadoom

Post by zhadoom »

Thanks a lot for the new releas. Works well. :D
Master O

Post by Master O »

Graf Zahl wrote:
jets wrote:Just for info, 4.1.3 is the last to run under XP apparently.

Yes, it was even publicly announced that XP support was dropped and the reason why this had to be done.
That's the risk you always run when using outdated soft- and hardware.
Speaking of Windows, is GZdoom going to drop support for Windows 7 after January 14, 2020 when Microsoft ends support for that OS?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

As long as the toolchains support it, yes.

If the XP deprecation is any indication, it'll probably work until Visual Studio 2025 is released. Or so. I can't give you positive numbers on that though, I am not Microsoft and I have no idea what they plan to do there.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The big problem with XP was that it was missing several functions the newer CRT needs to support more recent language features. A fully functional C++14 implementation on XP is not possible because some of the new things only exist since Vista. That's why they had to separate the toolchains with VS 2013. Obviously continued support for such a system is not easy, you can either hack around the limitations or leave out the features. With MinGW I am dead certain that they hacked around it and provide a not fully functional solution. The same was true for the XP toolsets. They were not fully standard conformant due to some omissions.

Whether Windows 7 will fall victim to the same problem in the future cannot be said right now. So far Vista is still supported by the current toolsets, so I think it'll be safe for a few more years. Only time will tell. Who knows whether GZDoom will still be in development then? I'm not getting younger. ;)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Graf Zahl wrote: Whether Windows 7 will fall victim to the same problem in the future cannot be said right now. So far Vista is still supported by the current toolsets, so I think it'll be safe for a few more years. Only time will tell. Who knows whether GZDoom will still be in development then? I'm not getting younger. ;)
Sorry for the slightly off topic post but thank you for making and maintaining GZDoom. I'm sure I speak for more than myself when I say that this software enriches our lives in so many ways. Almost not a single day has went by without ZDoom and GZDoom somehow filling my daily agenda since I was 17, and I'm 34 now. :P

Long live ZDoom and long live GZDoom, and best of health to you. :D
Master O

Post by Master O »

Nash wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote: Whether Windows 7 will fall victim to the same problem in the future cannot be said right now. So far Vista is still supported by the current toolsets, so I think it'll be safe for a few more years. Only time will tell. Who knows whether GZDoom will still be in development then? I'm not getting younger. ;)
Sorry for the slightly off topic post but thank you for making and maintaining GZDoom. I'm sure I speak for more than myself when I say that this software enriches our lives in so many ways. Almost not a single day has went by without ZDoom and GZDoom somehow filling my daily agenda since I was 17, and I'm 34 now. :P

Long live ZDoom and long live GZDoom, and best of health to you. :D
Flattery doesn't work on Graf Zahl. :D
GraveUypo

Post by GraveUypo »

̶E̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶i̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶3̶.̶2̶.̶5̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶"̶s̶e̶c̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶"̶ ̶o̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶p̶p̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶'̶m̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶c̶k̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶o̶r̶r̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶f̶a̶u̶l̶t̶ ̶"̶d̶a̶r̶k̶"̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶.̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶i̶o̶u̶s̶l̶y̶ ̶k̶i̶l̶l̶s̶ ̶m̶a̶p̶s̶ ̶t̶a̶i̶l̶o̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶c̶i̶f̶i̶c̶ ̶(̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶l̶o̶w̶)̶ ̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶v̶e̶l̶s̶.̶ ̶W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶?̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶?̶ ̶c̶y̶c̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶m̶o̶r̶e̶. <---- that's apparently caused by some change in the radeon drivers or something, because i just tried rolling back to 3.2.5 and it's not working either. damn! (rx480)

oh yeah, one more thing: Why does the render scaler bottom out at 640x400 now? i loved playing using a custom render resolution of 570x240 (basically ultra-wide 320x240) and it won't let me anymore :\
don't tell me it's also a radeon thing...
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No. The reason for that is that the menu does not work properly on smaller screens. The longest texts actually require a bit more, but since on 640x400 only a small number of options would get cut off by one or two characters it was deemed acceptable. Anything lower and several screens will break apart.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”