GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

[Tap Here for Mobile-Friendly Forums]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

Postby Rachael » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:26 am

Please don't report such things here. That's what the Tech Issues forum is for.
User avatar
Rachael
Webmaster
 
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

Postby Apeirogon » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:17 am

Can I have more info about this
fixed: The CheckEnvironmant call in PlayerThink can already invalidate the PlayerPawn so even the calls to CheckUndoMorph and CheckUse need to get the pawn through the PlayerInfo.

Because in 372 version gzdoom throw vm abrot pointing to the lines with player.morphTics in CheckUndoMorph and I try find way to bypass this, to extend amount of versions on which my mod can work.
Apeirogon
I have a strange sense of humour
 
Joined: 12 Jun 2017

Re: GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:28 am

This part is fundamentally broken in 3.7.2. There are situations where swapping out a PlayerPawn will simply crash the engine. If you play around with PlayerPawns in any way you cannot guarantee that things work here.

And what's this nonsense about 'extending amount of versions'? Why?
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer
Lead GZDoom Developer
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

Re: GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

Postby Apeirogon » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:59 am

There are situations where swapping out a PlayerPawn will simply crash the engine

Yeah I faced that. I firstly think that this is my fault and after some quirks make it throw vm abort instead of hard crash with "send report to microsoft gzdoom developers", but if you say it "fundamentally broken" than...

And what's this nonsense about 'extending amount of versions'? Why?

Some people which I know dont like versions 400 and higher, because they fear that vulkan in near future completely replace opengl so they cant play gzdoom on opengl only supported hardware and would forced buy new/update theirs computers to play game "from 1993"/still think that it have survey code/etc. So they just dont want to use them to prevent it from happening/dont know about existence of gzdoom archive with all release versions/insert reason.

Someone even still use 3.1.0.
Apeirogon
I have a strange sense of humour
 
Joined: 12 Jun 2017

Re: GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

Postby TDRR » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:06 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:This part is fundamentally broken in 3.7.2. There are situations where swapping out a PlayerPawn will simply crash the engine. If you play around with PlayerPawns in any way you cannot guarantee that things work here.


And what about unmorphing with a tome of power-inherited item? I have been doing that and it 100% of the time crashes on any post-ZScript GZDoom version (last i tried was 4.1.2)

Not only that, but D4T also has a way of unmorphing via ACS and it doesn't work either, it crashes just the same on any post-ZScript GZDoom.

Is it really the modder's fault or is there something wrong in the engine? Do i have to live with my mod only working with Zandronum and pre-ZScript versions?
User avatar
TDRR
iDeas from the deep (pit of hacks)
 
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Location: Venezuela
Operating System: Windows Vista/7 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:08 pm

Apeirogon wrote:Some people which I know dont like versions 400 and higher, because they fear that vulkan in near future completely replace opengl so they cant play gzdoom on opengl only supported hardware and would forced buy new/update theirs computers to play game "from 1993"/still think that it have survey code/etc. So they just dont want to use them to prevent it from happening/dont know about existence of gzdoom archive with all release versions/insert reason.

Someone even still use 3.1.0.


If you cater to the idiots you will lose. Period.
The reasons being given sound utterly moronic and clueless. Let 'em suffer. :twisted:
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer
Lead GZDoom Developer
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

Re: GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:08 pm

TDRR wrote:And what about unmorphing with a tome of power-inherited item? I have been doing that and it 100% of the time crashes on any post-ZScript GZDoom version (last i tried was 4.1.2)


Where's the bug report with the testable example?
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer
Lead GZDoom Developer
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

Re: GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

Postby TDRR » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:58 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:
TDRR wrote:And what about unmorphing with a tome of power-inherited item? I have been doing that and it 100% of the time crashes on any post-ZScript GZDoom version (last i tried was 4.1.2)


Where's the bug report with the testable example?


viewtopic.php?f=122&t=63143
I already asked about 6 months ago.

If you could at least tell me what was wrong, i could easily look into fixing it with actual knowledge of what's crashing the game, but
"If it aborts with a null pointer access there is a bug in the code that needs addressing." is something i really can't understand at all, at least not in the context of the code being used. If needed i can tell you exactly which lines of code are the ones related to this issue (or at least the ones i think, the vehicle and the unmorpher code)

Maybe if you told me what is the "proper" way of unmorphing, so i could do so with a separate ZScript lump that only runs on GZD 2.4 or newer.
User avatar
TDRR
iDeas from the deep (pit of hacks)
 
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Location: Venezuela
Operating System: Windows Vista/7 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:10 pm

The problem with that thing is that this isn't a "runnable example". Had I found something it would have been addressed.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer
Lead GZDoom Developer
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

Re: GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

Postby Rachael » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:45 pm

@Apeirogon: Please don't ask us for help getting your mod to run on older versions of GZDoom. We only support the newest version.
User avatar
Rachael
Webmaster
 
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

Postby Apeirogon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:16 am

I only ask for info, not for complete solution.
Apeirogon
I have a strange sense of humour
 
Joined: 12 Jun 2017

Re: GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:24 am

The only info you will get is the following:
3.7 is history, it is of no concern to any of the developers how some change between then and now may affect playabilty of a mod on that older version.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer
Lead GZDoom Developer
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

Previous

Return to ZDoom (and related) News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest