GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

Post by phantombeta »

Graf Zahl wrote:
phantombeta wrote: That's mostly with the smaller resolutions, for some weird reason. With the higher resolutions, there's actually more space. This was true for smaller resolutions before in the dev builds, and I have no idea why this was changed.

Has it changed for the option menus, too?
There was a change for the non-options menus because on certain screen sizes the content became too small. So I chamged the reference width (i.e. what is needed to show all content) from 640 to 400 pixels. With a few tweaks to the skill and episode names that's what is minimally needed to show everything properly.
Yup.
Commit 8dc7190f and earlier:

Commit f2d1126f and later:

I have the feeling this should be addressed, as it'll very likely be an issue with the compatibility options menu in non-English languages.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Internal code restructuring to agnostisize level structures.
Huh? Philosophical debates in source code of game from 1993? I get that this is typo

So, since most/all of previously global variables now/in near future become more "specific" this means that mod which use them in old form will break in future versions of gzdoom?! Or this restructuring touch only internal, compiled tables, not zscript?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

phantombeta wrote:pictures
It's obviously resolution dependent because it looks perfectly sized at 1920x1200.

Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Apeirogon wrote:
Huh? Philosophical debates in source code of game from 1993? I get that this is typo

So, since most/all of previously global variables now/in near future become more "specific" this means that mod which use them in old form will break in future versions of gzdoom?! Or this restructuring touch only internal, compiled tables, not zscript?
For now, it's only internal. It's meant to make the level loading system a lot more flexible and possibly allow for expansion of how GZDoom handles levels.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Enjay wrote:
phantombeta wrote:pictures
It's obviously resolution dependent because it looks perfectly sized at 1920x1200.

Indeed:
phantombeta wrote:That's mostly with the smaller resolutions, for some weird reason. With the higher resolutions, there's actually more space. This was true for smaller resolutions before in the dev builds, and I have no idea why this was changed.
It seems to only mess up on smaller resolutions.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This is definitely a bug. When changing this code I forgot to adjust one variable use.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I added more things to the release notes but I have to take a break now. I'll finish more of it later.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Apeirogon wrote:
Making things something-agnostic is not about philosophy but about software design in this case.

The aim was to make GZDoom able to load several levels at once, which means that level structures have to be self-contained and to stop relying so much on global variables. The objective is still far from being reached but there's progress.
Rip and Tear

Post by Rip and Tear »

exported all native components of APlayerPawn.
Does this mean that extending Actor will be coming soon? I believe Graf said that was the last thing blocking it.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

There's one thing blocking it: Currently each translation unit (i.e. each ZSCRIPT lump) creates an implicit namespace for its constants. For allowing class extensions everything must be in the same translation unit so here's a conflict of requirements that needs to be resolved first. Unfortunately I haven't had a good idea yet.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

Oh nice, a new version!

Someone on the unofficial Oblige Discord brought up this, the last skill level is meant to be a secret skill level and the user is using British English. It was meant to be hidden with just American English. Mod oversight or port oversight?
Attachments
unknown.png
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Glaice wrote:Oh nice, a new version!

Someone on the unofficial Oblige Discord brought up this, the last skill level is meant to be a secret skill level and the user is using British English. It was meant to be hidden with just American English. Mod oversight or port oversight?

Hard to tell without the mod.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

So I may have underestimated how long the changelog would be this time around. But it's done. Please note that it's in two posts. It ended up exceeding the 60,000 character limit.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I think this could have been shortened a lot just by omitting the follow-up fixes of all the refactorings that took place.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Maybe - but with a lot of what was there it was hard to tell some of them apart. For what it's worth I used this command to get the full log:

Code: Select all

git log g3.7.0..g.4.0.0 > release-notes-4.0.txt
There's no diff in the output... and to be honest it would be a lot harder to process if there was.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”