GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

wolfmanfp
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

Post by wolfmanfp »

Raytraced Doom when? :D
Spoiler:
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Apeirogon wrote:Ah, another word fell victim of the peoples who cant invent new word for new thing. Shame...
You say that as if that's never happened in the English language before. Like words from two to too. And the one in between. They're really not picky about the use of their words there.

These are called homonyms - whether they're spelled the same or not. And they are a source of a lot of pun jokes.

But please - let's not use this topic for such discussions. One already exists, so please go there if you want to discuss this any further, rather than cluttering up this release topic with that stuff.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

wolfmanfp wrote:Raytraced Doom when? :D
Spoiler:
When these cards become affordable for normal people, maybe.
Nightheath

Post by Nightheath »

Hi,

for anyone who is looking for the GZDoom 4.00 versions for linux (32/64 bits .deb) - see here:

(I already asked because there is no hint under the downloads section here.)

http://debian.drdteam.org/pool/multiverse/g/gzdoom/

Greetings.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Nightheath wrote:Hi,

for anyone who is looking for the GZDoom 4.00 versions for linux (32/64 bits .deb) - see here:

(I already asked because there is no hint under the downloads section here.)

http://debian.drdteam.org/pool/multiverse/g/gzdoom/

Greetings.
That's usually because the Mac builds are not yet available, and I am not aware of the new versions until I get the Mac builds.

Yeah, it's not the best thing, but the whole system is managed by 4 people who barely communicate with each other. The builds are updated as soon as I am aware of them.

So yeah, Linux builds now available.
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Where to report Vulkan Renderer bugs? Is is allowed or not?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I've decided to go ahead and open up a Vulkan Bugs forum - but these are issues we're already aware of:

Code: Select all

1. Custom Post-Process shaders not implemented (already fixed)
2. Custom hardware shaders with extra textures not implemented
3. Extremely large maps that overload the Vulkan buffer may cause a crash
4. Texture descriptor pool has a fixed size. It is possible some mod might exceed it
5. Model translation is currently fucked. Don't expect models to work in Vulkan very well at the moment!
6. Crash on shutdown due to models being destroyed after the framebuffer
7. Bloom shader causes massive slowdown (already fixed)
8. Earlier ATI OpenGL 3.3 cards will hiccup on startup due to shader code that it cannot comprehend (already fixed)
Please note that 1, 7, and 8 are already fixed but will not appear until the next release.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

Rachael wrote:Yeah, it's not the best thing, but the whole system is managed by 4 people who barely communicate with each other. The builds are updated as soon as I am aware of them.
I do personally wish the announcement was held until the whole release pipeline was completed since it usually takes only 2-3 days which really shouldn't kill anyone. On the plus side though if a critical bug is discovered hours after release there's sometimes a little less work to do, so there's that. (Although given that some people would notice the tag and build from source, you wouldn't necessarily lose this benefit either.)
Spoiler:
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Blzut3 wrote:For the curious the release pipeline looks like this:
I feel like this could be greatly simplified if an email was sent out (whether manually or by some automated bot) to _mental_, Rachael and Blzut when the Windows builds were ready. I mean, it probably wouldn't speed things up too much, all things considered, but it'd make things a bit less of a game of telephone.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The release pipeline looks a bit different, actually. Since Rachael needs to do some behind the scenes work to set up the new build on the forum I just compile the Windows versions and send them to her via PM so everything can be set up.
But from that point onward it looks correct.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I'd prefer if builds for all platforms are ready before going official. This way I only need to update the download page once and be done with it.
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

Maybe I am late to the party, but I must say I really liked the ability to occasionally scale down to 320x200 while keeping all the other commodities GZDoom provides (even had a binds to switch between "retro" and "modern" looks), and decision to gut this feature outright before coming up with a way to keep it is baffling to me. And it's not like those solutions do not exist - as Kinsie mentioned a few pages prior, the common scaling solution that modern games use - scaling only 3D output without effecting 2D should be possible. Somehow I doubt that localisation-friendliness was such a pressing issue.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

What happened to the GZDoom and QZDoom download links on the official website? The links suddenly all refer to non-existing threads in the ZDoom forums... :D
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sinael wrote:and decision to gut this feature outright before coming up with a way to keep it is baffling to me.

What makes you think there weren't any attempts and discussions? The short story is, it just did not work.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Sinael wrote:Maybe I am late to the party, but I must say I really liked the ability to occasionally scale down to 320x200 while keeping all the other commodities GZDoom provides (even had a binds to switch between "retro" and "modern" looks), and decision to gut this feature outright before coming up with a way to keep it is baffling to me. And it's not like those solutions do not exist - as Kinsie mentioned a few pages prior, the common scaling solution that modern games use - scaling only 3D output without effecting 2D should be possible. Somehow I doubt that localisation-friendliness was such a pressing issue.
The fact that you have a use for 320x200 is fair enough but there are a few things in your post that are a bit off.

A decision to gut a feature before finding a way of keeping it is an odd concept: "I want to get rid of something, but not".

The solutions do exist, but they take time and willingness on the part of the people able to do it. Remember, no one gets paid for this.

Localisation friendliness itself was not that pressing. However, the menus have needed attention for a long time and localisation made that more pressing. On the flip side, I'm not sure that keeping 320x200 (which, IMO is really only relevant because it was the best option for running a game in an amazing 256 colours in 1993, and really not that important nowadays - it's an historical oddity) is that pressing either, especially if it gets in the way of other (IMO more important) progress. I'd much rather have readable, functional menus that I use almost every time I mess around with GZDoom than 320x200 which I never used, ever, in GZDoom. A selfish viewpoint? Probably. :P

Remember, that at least two ports removed that resolution a long time ago. This is not uncharted territory, especially for ports with an emphasis on modernisation and visual enhancements.

I'm not saying that 320x200 isn't useful to some people and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it came back once a suitable solution can be worked out and applied, though I'd be surprised if it was a high priority. The number of people regularly using 320x200 will be tiny, it isn't actually that useful for the port and other options are available if 320x200 is that important to someone (even an older copy of GZDoom). If you are playing something that "needs" 320x200, it's unlikely to be a cutting edge mod anyway. ;)

As a final note, objections to both the new font and the removal of 320x200 were anticipated, evaluated as likely to come from a small minority and viewed as an acceptable short-term pain versus the benefits of the changes. So far, that seems to be about right.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”