GZDoom 3.1.0 Released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: GZDoom 3.1.0 Released

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's because the unoptimized libsndfile DLL has been dumped.
Gez

Post by Gez »

theleo_ua wrote:
support of Strife Veteran Edition's extended single player campaign
Do we have some information (didn't find this on the wiki), how to do this? Or just simple "-iwad strife1.wad -file voices.wad sve.wad" ?
-iwad sve.wad.

You don't need the -file stuff; it'll automatically load strife1.wad (just like -iwad hexdd.wad automatically loads hexen.wad) and voices.wad.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Heh, playing with GZDoom reminded me that the animated water flat in SVE isn't the best. It looks kind of like a cyan wall with animated mortar/bricks.
theleo_ua
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by theleo_ua »

Graf Zahl wrote:That's because the unoptimized libsndfile DLL has been dumped.
Forgot to say: mp3 are still much faster than ogg (as I understand, it was in 2.4.0 too)
Gez wrote:-iwad sve.wad.

You don't need the -file stuff; it'll automatically load strife1.wad (just like -iwad hexdd.wad automatically loads hexen.wad) and voices.wad.
Thanks, but one question still exists: strife1.wad is different in velocity and steam/GOG SVE versions:

Velocity version is 28 372 168 bytes (last modified in 18 APR 1996)
steam/GOG SVE version is 28 377 364 bytes (last modified in 13 DEC 2014)

Which version of strife1.wad I should put in iwad folder to play SVE correctly using GZdoom ?
If the answer is "steam/GOG version", so is it intended to use this version of strife1.wad to play non-SVE strife via gzdoom?

The question appears because I want to store all iwads in a single folder, so if I want to play different versions of strife, I will be forced to store "velocity strife1.wad" to one folder, and "steam strife1.wad" to another folder
theleo_ua
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by theleo_ua »

Enjay wrote:Heh, playing with GZDoom reminded me that the animated water flat in SVE isn't the best. It looks kind of like a cyan wall with animated mortar/bricks.
Tried sve in gzdoom and agree with you
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Enjay wrote:Heh, playing with GZDoom reminded me that the animated water flat in SVE isn't the best. It looks kind of like a cyan wall with animated mortar/bricks.

The original isn't really that much better, but what I do not understand is why they didn't just fix the tiling problems with it and redrew it completely.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

theleo_ua wrote: Velocity version is 28 372 168 bytes (last modified in 18 APR 1996)
That's not the official Strife release WAD, which is dated 23 MAY 1996 and identical with the one in SVE.
Gez

Post by Gez »

theleo_ua wrote:Which version of strife1.wad I should put in iwad folder to play SVE correctly using GZdoom ?
If the answer is "steam/GOG version", so is it intended to use this version of strife1.wad to play non-SVE strife via gzdoom?
Whichever comes with SVE.

Apparently you also have an old version. You can always rename it if you want to keep the old version out of historical interest but SVE was made for the final version, so use that one.
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/STRIFE1.WAD
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Idk what did you guys did in this build but rip intel hd 4000
Spoiler:
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

Graf Zahl wrote:Sorry for the inconvenience but it looks the wrong gzdoom.pk3 got in.
Is the file updated with the right pk3 now? :)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

That was resolved a long time ago.
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

I noticed both in 3.0.0 and 3.1.0 that moving between sound zones with different reverb settings often makes a poping sound, this happens not only at my place, but my friends place too. Anyone know what causes this? f_modex did not have this behaviour, I'm not sure about old versions using openal as I didnt change until it version 3.0.0
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Could you please create a small sample to reproduce the problem or at least point to a simple case to check it?
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

I will do so asap :)
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u7j20h72vtio ... s.wad?dl=0
There is a file showing the sound clippings - all 3 black zones cause clipping when entering/leaving them - they are all different values with other values around them.
please tell if it can't be reproduced right - I've taken a sound into the file (vent sound) as it is loud enough to reproduce clipping consistent.

All values are taken from reverbs I've used in a two year old map - it has always played fine, never clipping or weird transtions until version 3.0.0 where I had to switch to Openal and suddenly had several issues arise with all my old maps.
I've converted my stereo sounds to Mono for all maps now, to help openal handle it better, but it's still not good enough to use for actual gameplay - currently it'd play better with reverbs turned off.

Edit: I made a new version of the file showing another weird artifact: https://www.dropbox.com/s/doz4yqjc09bdf ... 2.wad?dl=0

In this file, first ensure music is turned off - when spawning in back up to the wall behind you and amp the volume up very high - it should be just about dead silent - turn volume back down - run across the hallway to end of map - now run back to start - turn volume back up very high - the rain sound is now played globaly (both left & right speaker) at all times, it's very low - but it's certainly not how it should be.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”