GZDoom 3.1.0 Released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: GZDoom 3.1.0 Released

Post by Chris »

camaxide wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u7j20h72vtio ... s.wad?dl=0
There is a file showing the sound clippings - all 3 black zones cause clipping when entering/leaving them - they are all different values with other values around them.
please tell if it can't be reproduced right - I've taken a sound into the file (vent sound) as it is loud enough to reproduce clipping consistent.
Are you sure you properly installed 3.1.0? The clicking when changing reverbs was fixed in OpenAL, and I believe GZDoom includes the fixed DLL. I tested the map in my build of both GZDoom and OpenAL, and it sounds fine.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

AFAIK the devbuilds still come with the outdated version. I have no control over that package.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

I compared the latest GZDoom using OpenAL-Soft at f54946f with ZDoom 2.8.1 using FMODEx 4.44.64 on the provided test map.
Clipping is quite noticeable with OpenAL and transitions seem to be too sharp. With FMOD there was no clipping and transitions are smoother.
As for raining sound issue I cannot reproduced it after several attempts. Stereo effect is persistent for that sound I didn't hear at all near the spawn point.
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

_mental_ wrote:I compared the latest GZDoom using OpenAL-Soft at f54946f with ZDoom 2.8.1 using FMODEx 4.44.64 on the provided test map.
Clipping is quite noticeable with OpenAL and transitions seem to be too sharp. With FMOD there was no clipping and transitions are smoother.
As for raining sound issue I cannot reproduced it after several attempts. Stereo effect is persistent for that sound I didn't hear at all near the spawn point.
Thanks for the test _mental_

The rain effect is very very subtle in this test map - I have to ramp my headset to max to even hear it a tiny bit - on my actual map the effect is also low, but much more present than the test-map. as I don't understand what causes it I havent been able to reproduce it as strongly as in my actual map. (but the actual map uses my mega-wad and is a very large file to share)

While I used fmodex I never tought much about the transition between different reverbzones - you noticed the reverb changed, but was never a disturbance like now. I hope it's possible to make openal reproduce a similar smooth transition.

ps: yes this counts for both 3.0.0 and 3.1.0
Bauul

Post by Bauul »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Notable bugfixes:
  • translucency on weapon sprites works properly
Unfortunately for me this fix actually broke a map of mine, where I had the player sprite translucent to other players but the weapon still solid to the viewer.

Is there a way around this? E.g. can the player sprites be altered using ACS without affecting the weapon sprites?

There's always the backup plan of editing the player sprites themselves in the wad, but I'm hoping there's a simpler solution.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

You can file a bug report.
Bauul

Post by Bauul »

I wasn't sure if it counted as a bug or not, but thanks, I will do!
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

I'm not sure whether the crossover between different reverb-zones are controlled by openal internally, or if it's something Zdoom can influence?
But the sharp transition and cracking-sound between zones is quite unfortunate
Herculine R.

Post by Herculine R. »

Again many thanks for all the work all you fine folks continue to put into this. Awesome job everyone!
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

Hm.. the openal isnt easy to understand for me.. I play tested my levels today at the home cinema, which is running on a different computer, on a 5.1 surround setup, and it has no issues with sound clipping, and it sounds much more fluent than my work-computer. _mental_ could you share a bit about the setup you are running?

Using my work computer both speakers and gaming-headset gives the same clipping.

My work-computer has the sound connected through a Sound Blaster ZxR card.

I will do some tests both with running the sound through the motherboard on the office computer, as well as running the gaming headset connected to the home cinema computer. I will also try the test-level at the HCPC just to have all combinations covered- and lastly I'll run the home cinema in stereo to check if stereo vs surround makes a difference. Maybe the reason everyone isn't mentioning these problems with clipping is that it does not happen on all setups. I'll write back here with all I'm able to find out from testing.

edit1: connecting my headset straight to the motherboard on my work-computer still gets the same clipping with reverb-transitions
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

There's probably a grand total of like 2 or 3 of you people out here actually interested in numbers like these - but it certainly doesn't hurt to post them anyway, so here you go.
Attachments
gzdoom310stats.png
Gez

Post by Gez »

Linux is bigger than Mac, both are dwarfed by Windows, most people have moved to 64-bit but 32-bit is still roughly one person in six.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”