GZDoom 3.0.0 Released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Tormentor667

Re: GZDoom 3.0.0 Released

Post by Tormentor667 »

For me OpenAI works fine, no differences compared to FModEx.
Now that GZDoom 3.0 has been released, what next big goals does the port have?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nevander wrote: I am at 100% volume in Windows, full volume on the slider in GZDoom, and full volume on my headphones slider. I even use the Powerful preset in my speaker properties. Everything is max and using OpenAL still ends up being too quiet for my tastes and nowhere near as clear as FMOD is for me now. Unless the version of OpenAL with (now) older GZDoom was defective or had bugs... was there anything wrong with OpenAL included with 2.2.0? It's the same DLL... lol.
In that case there's not much that can be done. I find it surprising, that this still doesn't result in sufficient volume. The headphones I occasionally use have absolutely no problem with my lower settings and maxing them out would cause hearing damage.
It seems your headphones were optimized for loudness war if that is the maximum setting...
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Not to be flippant Nevander, but sounds like A) you have severe hearing loss and need help, or B) You need a dedicated headphone amp because whatever headphone set you're using has too high impedance for your system to drive properly. Cranking every knob to 100 would absolutely destroy my ears on every system and audio chain I've used in the past 20 years

8-)
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Caligari87 wrote:Not to be flippant Nevander, but sounds like A) you have severe hearing loss and need help, or B) You need a dedicated headphone amp because whatever headphone set you're using has too high impedance for your system to drive properly. Cranking every knob to 100 would absolutely destroy my ears on every system and audio chain I've used in the past 20 years

8-)
It's probably B. There's probably something not right with sound on my system, but how could I know? I've had this PC since December 2013 and it's always been this way. I don't know what I would do or how to check.
_mental_ wrote:Meanwhile, could you please try 3.0.0?
Here's a startup log for 3.0.0:
Spoiler:
Nash

Post by Nash »

As per my analysis, the difference in volume between FMod and OpenAL, with stock GZDoom sound settings, is only by 2.8 dB, that's not too huge of a volume difference... sure, the difference is audible but it's not "Everything is loud & clear VS I can't hear nothing"-tier difference. That's odd.
Athel

Post by Athel »

Wow, this was a nice surprise for me to just stumble upon. I'm going to have fun experimenting with all of the "under the hood" features that have been put in.
Skwirl

Post by Skwirl »

GPL compliance? I'm sold af. :D One of the best moves for an application this influential, especially for us aspiring designers. I owe you guys a toast when I get a chance.

Now I need to sit down and think about all the workload I put into my mod project through GLOOME all this time, if it's worth porting into this now. I won't mind the new features and updated support, but I really put a LOT of effort to getting it to work on that older platform that I'd probably have to redo a chunk of it and I'm already balls-deep with issues I need fixed.
Gothic

Post by Gothic »

This is one of the best updates ever. I would enjoy them more if I had a better computer, but that's my own problem.
wodencafe

Post by wodencafe »

Tormentor667 wrote:Now that GZDoom 3.0 has been released, what next big goals does the port have?
I'm also curious about this :D

And hypothetically, if an experienced developer wanted to make contributions to GZDoom, where should they get started? Just pick any issue and start working it? Fork the github code and start making PR's?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

wodencafe wrote:And hypothetically, if an experienced developer wanted to make contributions to GZDoom, where should they get started? Just pick any issue and start working it? Fork the github code and start making PR's?
You can do either of these.

I'd chase down bugs at first so that you can get more used to the project itself, first. This also gives you time to get used to the community, and its needs, so that you know what issues are higher priority.
Dklark

Post by Dklark »

It's a shame Fmod is no longer available. I had the Resampler option set to no interpolation so the weapon sounds would come out much more crisp. OpenAl forces some kind of filtering, and lacks an option to disable it.
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

I can't seem to use Blinkmod anymore in 3.0, it crashes to desktop with "Tried to create a status bar with no script!" while in 2.4 it worked fine. Also, did something happened to the scaling stretch option for the default HUD option? I know there was an option to fill the bottom area as much as possible so it's not tiny since WIDESTBAR.WAD doesn't work as intended. Until things can be settled with some of my mods I use for my YT channel, I will have to stick with 2.4.0 for the time being.
Attachments
blink_v2.zip
Said mods
(9.29 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The error comes from never anticipating an SBARINFO with no status bar. This may need a bit of fixing.
And what's with the wide statusbar? That looks ok to me. The scaling for the HUD had been completely reworked because it was utterly broken in its design. As a result some defaults changed and certain old settings may not be carried over well. Go to HUD options -> Scaling options in the menu where you can now set everything.
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

Dklark wrote:It's a shame Fmod is no longer available. I had the Resampler option set to no interpolation so the weapon sounds would come out much more crisp. OpenAl forces some kind of filtering, and lacks an option to disable it.
I came here to report the exact same thing. That and there doesn't seem to be hrtf with openAL, in the advanced options I turned it on but it didn't seem to do anything, neither does sample rate.

Is there any external configuration we can do or anything like that?
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

Graf Zahl wrote:The error comes from never anticipating an SBARINFO with no status bar. This may need a bit of fixing.
And what's with the wide statusbar? That looks ok to me. The scaling for the HUD had been completely reworked because it was utterly broken in its design. As a result some defaults changed and certain old settings may not be carried over well. Go to HUD options -> Scaling options in the menu where you can now set everything.

I was looking for "stretch status bar" as that's what I used with 2.4.0.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”