GZDoom 3.0.0 Released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

camaxide

Re: GZDoom 3.0.0 Released

Post by camaxide »

Actually I used to have a dislike for the openal as well, as it earlier broke all my ambient sounds as they were in stereo files. However, that is solved in the current version, so I have no problems at all with it now. I've playtested for a couple days now and all music and sounds so far is playing back without any hickups :)
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

setting r_3dfloors to false (0) don't do anything any more. Also, setting it to 0 and then restarting the game resets it to 1.
is this command replaced with something else? I'd like to be able to enable/disable 3dfloors on the go for testing/troubleshooting

hm, I realized r_3dfloors is likely from back in software-days.. is there an equalant to that in gl?
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

I'm kinda sure that Graf removed the ability to disable 3D Floors viewing as they are a trivial part in mapping, specially the ones with collision and used as water pools.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

There isn't , there never was and there never will be such a check for the hardware renderer. For the software renderer it only existed as a development aid.
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

I did not notice until recently, as I've focused on the current two maps I'm building, and haven't started on reverbs on them yet. But my old maps seem to have the reverbs all messed up with version 3.0.0
After testing this shows to be OpelAl which does not seem to handle the reverbs as it should. As going back to older versions of GzDoom also mess up reverbs as soon as OpenAl is chosen.

Is there any info on how to solve this? or is Openal just not handeling reverbs well? I'm using the reverb effects all over my maps and it's completely broken in many areas of my maps right now.

Reverb 21-0 for instance seem to amplify the sounds inside the zone tremendously and it sounds like all sounds are played back full volume everywhere inside the zone - where as 36-0 for instance seem to boost sounds even outside of its sector.
Going close to a sector with ambient sounds the zone with 36-0 plays very loud - and when entering the sector with the actual ambient sounds with a divverent reverb the sound level suddenly plunge down to the level it should be. even if you are now actually much closer to the source.

Is this a known problem? I can make a video demo of the issue played in both 2.3.1 (fmodex) and 3.0.0 (openal) if needed :)
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

Oh, and the sounds mentioned are mono, so it's not the same playback issue as once earlier. I do have stereo files played back in 3D also, but the ones I mentioned and plays back odd in reverb @ openal are Mono
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

OpenAL reverb is handled differently to FMOD reverb, this can be seen easily in GZDoom 2.4 - go into water and fire some guns with FMOD, then switch to OpenAL, you'll notice the sound is entirely different (OpenAL sounds far less distorted and is generally much more bearable to listen to). I don't think it could really be called a "problem", it's just a difference in how the effect is processed, I think - anyone who knows more about it than me, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

fmodex was indeed quite harsh under water, though 0-25 sounds a lot more boosted now with openal than with fmodex (just an example) - if it's just different handling and they should sound different, then I'll just have to rebuild reverbs for my maps to solve it. But I'd like some input on it beforehand so I dont go redo loads of work unnecessary :)
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

It actually seem like there is a majority of the reverbs that sounds just right, though one of my maps seem to use multiple of those reverbs which plays very different in fmodex than in openal - I assume this will just need to be changed (the reverb id's) as openal is here to stay - and maybe changes was made to some reverbs to make them more "accurate"
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

For all the reverbs that I have used/checked since the move to OpenAL, I have preferred them and found them to be closer to their description than they were with fmod. I haven't found any problematic ones yet.
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

Also want to state that the bass problem I made a post on a long time ago is completely solved with OpenAl
With Fmodex multiple bass heavy sounds did not clip as they should, (no master on the sounds) and 2-3 maxed out sounds playing at the same time would kill the sound. with Openal the sound does not clip and plays back as expected. No need for me to do -12db on the subwoofers while playing Doom anymore :)

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”