New ZDoom site

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Blue Shadow

Re: New ZDoom site

Post by Blue Shadow »

Gez wrote:And Mars is something I'd expect to see on an astronomy site. :p
I don't advocate the use of Mars, since I associate it with Doom 3 rather than the original Doom.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Just popping by to say it's gorgeous, well done.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

The original Doom was based on Phobos and Deimos, the actual Moons. Mars does kind of make sense, but maybe a picture with the moons too?
Gez

Post by Gez »

The original Doom was based on Tei Tenga, episode 1 takes place in the Yangshuo county in China, episode 2 in Zion National Park in the USA, and so on.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

And ZDoom is about more than just support for Doom; even though most of the time it is used for Doom/Doom based mods. For Heretic, Hexen, Strife plus the other supported games Mars is completely irrelevant and even for Doom II Mars isn't really important either (other than you've just come back to Earth from Phobos via Deimos and Hell). It's a nice enough picture and all but I agree with Blue Shadow that a picture in that style is far more evocative of Doom3 than any of the idtech1 games.

So, yeah, I think some code and a map screenshot is far more fitting and relevant to what ZDoom is all about.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Might also work if someone whipped up a quick "set" map that fuses Doom, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife, to contrast with the classic image of E1M1 being the default image of the gallery above it.

Maybe sneak in some slopes, a 3D floor, and a dark imp to show-off some signature ZDoom features, as well.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@Xaser - You might want to try one of those two
http://imgur.com/a/odsUo
merlin86
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by merlin86 »

I really like the new site, but the Ancient Aliens screenshot, for me, it's not showing the full potential from zdoom/gzdoom/qzdoom engines.
It's really a good mod, but it's not Zdoom specific. IMHO, something from Action Doom 2 (or Grezzo 2 :lol: (just kidding)) could be better.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Whatever happened to that "post your screenshots for the new site" thread? All those screenshots you could use too.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Those were never intended for the main carousel and they will be incorporated for another section of the site.
arookas

Post by arookas »

Mars, you say? What mars? :lol:

In all seriousness though, my opinion on the front page hasn't changed much (doesn't really even mention zdoom is a source port, have screenshots of zdoom mods, etc.). However, the idea of using a map editor screenshot instead of mars sounds a lot better. All for that. Despite my stubborness, as long as the about page stays as awesome as it is, I think this new site will be alright.

Keep up the great work!
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

tbh i dont quite like it?? but not cuz its new or the fact that its modern looking, but how things are give it a weird sort of... air of elitism/egotism/arrogance from the design? plus idk but its far too similar to tormentor667's site, and as well as being a bit convoluted on a smaller monitor set up (i get its 2017 but with older games u tend to have more folks on older rigs/set ups coming), and it just doesnt come off that good. looks nice (especially the new zdoom icon!) but somethin just isnt nice and it doesnt feel... welcoming. its hard to put my finger on it. i'll admit it needed an update, but maybe not quite like this
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

I kinda get what you're getting at, but I wouldn't call it egotism - just confidence.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

chronoteeth wrote:(i get its 2017 but with older games u tend to have more folks on older rigs/set ups coming)
Although I'm not saying this comment is trying to put across this particular point of view, it reminded me of something I've been trying to say for a long time: GZDoom (etc) is not an old game. It's using an old data set and it has classic gameplay but as far as running on a modern OS and doing the various rendering things it does, it's not an old game. Sure, it's not absolutely bleeding edge next gen tech requiring the newest and fastest machine either but it's not merely a 24 year old game that can run on a good 386.

Why the mini rantette? It's just that I've seen so many people complaining (and again, not saying that chronoteeth is one of them) about the specs needed "just to play Doom". Well, if you're playing GZDoom, you're not "just playing Doom".

Rant over. :P
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

At this point even a low end P4 is just enough to run GZDoom with basic settings - even in Software mode. You might not be able to run HD resolutions with that, but P4's came out when GPU's were already popular.

And I'm of the belief that anything older than a P4 is probably going to end up being more expensive than a P4 simply due to historical value. :P

So yes, the system requirements to run "just Doom" (with GZDoom) are not the same as it was 24 years ago. But unless you have some sort of supernatural machine that hasn't yet broken down (either because you never use it, or it really somehow lived past its planned obsolescence), any computer that is attainable today can run it.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”