New ZDoom site

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

New ZDoom site

Post by Rachael »

Tormentor667 and Xaser have been hard at work revamping the front page of the site. Now - it is live. Enjoy!
Xaser

Re: New ZDoom site

Post by Xaser »

Whew! It lives. O_O

Uber-thanks to Rachael too for making this happen... and painstakingly untangling the nginx web to get the site deployed. :P

Though we've done our best to tighten up all the bolts, this is still a brand-new "product" so it's liable there will be some issues n' whatnot. If you find anything that looks awry, please open a bug report on Mantis under the "zdoom.org (Site)" project and I'll get to fixing it up.

There'll inevitably be some feedback regarding "soft issues" like the site's look and feel and whatnot, and I'd like to request that we keep such discussions in this thread and limit the Mantis reports to stuff that seems broken. I don't wish to stifle discussion by closing reports or anything. :P

BTW, if there's an open concern you feel hasn't been addressed (*cough*mars*cough*), that doesn't necessarily mean it's off the table. The current site version certainly isn't final, and there'll be some cool new stuff in the future pipeline. ;)

For now, enjoy! Or try to. :P
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Heh, when I first saw it, for a second I was like "what the flying hell is this? did i hit the wrong key? is this an april fools joke" and then I realized "oh snap it's the new front page".
It's pretty groovy. Took a minute to adjust, but it's clean and navigable, and certainly easy on the eyes (the colors have a nice contrast; clearly distinct, yet- for lack of a better word- "soft"; like the visual equivalent of ergonomic design. It's kind of cozy, actually. Could definitely get used to this.)
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xtyfe »

The start of a new age for ZDoom, I like it a lot. I'll be lurking as usual
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This will get some time to get used to, because all those links are now in different places. But as a visual entry point into the world of ZDoom it's definitely a major improvement.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I had assumed that the three "Beyond Doom" orbs would link to different articles. There's nothing wrong with them per se but it just seems odd to have three links side by side all going to the same place.

I'm still not convinced by the random Mars picture but, equally, I can't think of anything better.

The above sounds quite negative so, let me be clear, it's a very nice looking page, easy on the eye, easy to navigate and, as Graf said, as a visual entry point it's a great improvement.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I hadn't noticed that all 3 link to the same page. You are right, that feels a bit strange.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Enjay wrote:I'm still not convinced by the random Mars picture but, equally, I can't think of anything better.
I can - use a different planet. :lol:
Gez

Post by Gez »

Use a screenshot of the source code, with some angling and tilting to make it all artsy.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Gez wrote:Use a screenshot of the source code, with some angling and tilting to make it all artsy.
Hmm that sounds familiar...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Gez

Post by Gez »

Yep, something like this. I hadn't looked at your thread but I've seen this kind of things elsewhere.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Wasn't implying it was because of my thread. :D I mean, it's so bloody common, you really do see it everywhere... almost as common as this flat UI craze thing...
ReX

Post by ReX »

Whoa! Nice surprise to see the new look. Very slick!

Btw, I can see the hand of Torm in the site's redesign. Good choice.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Glad to see folks enjoying (or at least not minding) the site! Hopefully means things are all kosher. :P
Graf Zahl wrote:I hadn't noticed that all 3 link to the same page. You are right, that feels a bit strange.
I'm considering reorganizing the About page to have 3 header sections that correspond to the circles, then have the front page links go to the corresponding sub-header. This would make the About page a bit easier to sort through too since it's a pretty dense infodump at present.

Also, I don't hate the artsy code pic idea either, FWIW. Yet another "Deep Into the Code" reference. :P
Siberian Tiger
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro. 22H2
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Siberian Tiger »

Looking snazzy!

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”