ZDoom is Dead. Long live ZDoom.

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Agentbromsnor

Re: ZDoom is Dead (but the site isn't)

Post by Agentbromsnor »

No way! It's completely dead, just like that?? That's quite a sudden news-flash!

Isn't there going to be any option for someone to take over development of ZDoom?
ZDoom was pretty much the first Doom source-port I ever got in touch with. Man, this saddens me!

Still though: I think Randy deserves a lot of respect for putting a lot of work into the engine. I hope the legacy of ZDoom will continue on through GZDoom and QZDoom.

Good luck to Graf, dpJudas and the other developers who are continuing to put out amazing work! (G)ZDoom is pretty much the reason I'm an aspiring game developer today.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Just want to muse that this had to have been a hard-as-shit decision to make. ZDoom has been Randi's baby for nearly two decades now, and whether there's IRL stuff or just general lack of interest that's led up to this, letting it go is a profoundly difficult thing to do. I feel for you there. :(

The good news for the community as a whole is that it's still full steam ahead. Remember when Skulltag went poof and Zandronum picked up the torch? This isn't even 0.1% as disruptive as that scenario, and the big movers and shakers are... well, still moving and shaking. All we gotta do is remember to put another letter before the 'Z'. :P

Furthermore, the one doom-heralding comment on the previous page is highly quacky. I don't think we're in any danger of a spontaneous community collapse within a year of release of both a brand-new (GOOD) modern Doom game and motherfucking Doomscript. :P
Minigunner

Post by Minigunner »

Yeah, lemme know when there's a programmer that is suitable enough to take on core development. Until I hear that things are actually on track and not falling apart, I'm done with the community.
Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

Thank you Randy for all your hard work on the source port! I might not agree with your coding at times but it certainly has changed the world.
Xenaero

Post by Xenaero »

What a journey eh? Who woulda thought Randi's efforts and passion basically spearhead the massive modding scene that is around today, easily expanding Doom's lifespan. I think we'll always appreciate what you did for the community. Best of luck in your future endeavors!
DemonSlayer
Location: Resides in a base on Mars guarding the world from the Ream of Hell

Post by DemonSlayer »

I am very grateful for all the DooM community and I would like to thank you as well Randi. Thank you very much for giving us so many great hours of enhanced DooM joy with ZDoom and giving me a way to play DooM anywhere. I wish you the best and all I can say is go forth and kick demonic ass \m/ ^o^ \m/

-DemonSlayer
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Thank you for this great port!
It's still my favourite
the_trigger

Post by the_trigger »

Thank you very much for your continued support and awesome work on this sourceport, it will surely be missed but alas, all good things must come to an end sooner or later :/

I wish you the very best in whatever you have planned from now on.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Happened quite the same with Skulltag back in the days... then Zandronum popped up.
The same thing will happen (or yet happened) with QZDoom.

BTW thank you kindly Randi, you did an unforgettable thing for Doom with ZDoom.
This is a sad day, but I can see the light at the end of the road! :)
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Tapwave »

I've nothing to add apart from the fact we're all thankful, and that we hope you'll find happiness in your new endeavors, Randi.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

If there's one game that's been about user choice and creativity on all levels, it's Doom - and its derivatives - and you took it to a new height. While you carry on with your life, we'll keep taking it higher. Thank you.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Minigunner wrote:Yeah, lemme know when there's a programmer that is suitable enough to take on core development. Until I hear that things are actually on track and not falling apart, I'm done with the community.

What makes you think that? I'm just curious so I figured I'd ask.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Minigunner wrote:Yeah, lemme know when there's a programmer that is suitable enough to take on core development. Until I hear that things are actually on track and not falling apart, I'm done with the community.
Graf Zahl? dpJudas? Blzut?

In case you haven't really paid attention, Graf's been busting ass to bring ZScript to the table and fix all bugs. He's pretty much a one man army at this point and does a damn good job at it, so the least you can do is show some support and not be a pessimist. The community is going nowhere. I'll be the last person to ever leave this place on my own. There's a community project coming up and I have grand plans for it. So hold your horses and don't condemn anything. We're not dead. We are not going to die, either. We're gonna move forward, even if it takes a lot of effort. Have trust in Eruanna, too. She's perfectly capable of keeping the forum running. I'm also willing to lend a hand wherever needed and Eruanna knows that.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Many many years ago, I fondly remember coming across this wad, which required ZDoom to play. So I downloaded them both and gave it a shot. I was blown away by a number of things in the level, mainly the presence of Hexen enemies. Which in a Doom level, I thought wouldn't be possible.

Thank you, randi, for making crazy stuff like this possible in the Doom engine.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

ZDoom will always live on as the breakthrough for modern Doom gaming. Thank you, Randi.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”