ZDoom is Dead. Long live ZDoom.

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

4thcharacter

Re: ZDoom is Dead (but the site isn't)

Post by 4thcharacter »

This'll be one of the most biggest subjects in Doom (the modding scene and probably the game)'s history.

Good luck, and I hope Q/GZDoom prospers from this point on.
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Thanks for your amazing work on ZDoom over the years - and I know the community you've built up has the talent to keep your project alive :)
Techokami
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Techokami »

Wow, this is quite surprising and shocking. ZDoom was the source port I used for the longest time, until Reelism development shuffled me on to GZDoom. Sad to see it go :(
chungy

Post by chungy »

Sad news but I wish everyone the best.

Randi and Graf: have you considered renaming GZDoom to ZDoom in order to become the obvious new upstream?
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Csonicgo wrote:what have i done

WHAT HAVE I DONE

I DIDN'T MEAN TO ATTACK THE ZDOOM THIS MUCH

PLEASE GOD, NO
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

I didn't expect that this port could end like this, but things happened. Good luck, Randi and ZDoom will be missed. :(
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

I'm.. I'm okay.

I just had a bit of a crisis.

This was my first serious port. Legacy was fun, yeah, but it wasn't enough. ZDoom showed me what doom modding could really be.

Plus it had Action Doom.

I feel like a part of me is gone now. I spent so much time in the zdoom community, to the point of obsession, really. It inspired me to learn how to program - and that's now my real job.

So, thank you, Marisa, you did more than you know for me and for countless others. I'm gonna miss you :(
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Why do you guys think the ZDoom Community is going to go down into the drain? We don't know what Eruanna and team has in plans for the ZDoom forum. Most likely, everyone will be here as the forums (and to its extension: the community) is much too big to let it die.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

It has been a profound 19 years. Thank you for everything.
Siberian Tiger
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro. 22H2
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Siberian Tiger »

I am still processing this change....

Thank you for all the work you have done with ZDoom and essentially growing the capabilities of what a Doom engine can do by having a vast flexibility and support within the modding realm. ZDoom, is like the budweiser of Doom; It is common that users pick it up and use it, and we are all familiar with it without hesitation.

Good luck to you Randi, and thank you again for all that you have done.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Hellser wrote:Why do you guys think the ZDoom Community is going to go down into the drain? We don't know what Eruanna and team has in plans for the ZDoom forum. Most likely, everyone will be here as the forums (and to its extension: the community) is much too big to let it die.
I have outlined my plans here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54884

Other than that, though, you are exactly right. This community is not dead. The reason for wanting to keep the site alive is both the history it has and the community itself. The site will take more of a focus on the family projects, though, since ZDoom development will no longer continue.
Minigunner

Post by Minigunner »

QZDoom and GZDoom will die not too long after anyways, so I'm considering the community dead.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Ugh... I'll try to keep this short... not-too-long... this is pretty fucking emotional and I'm not sure how to feel right now; I'm still trying to process this.

Randi, thank you so fucking much for everything. I started using ZDoom in 2001 and it quickly became my favorite Doom engine to play with - both playing other peoples' mods and making my own. The Notgod phorum and ZDoom.org's forum was basically my second "home" - I would always be eager to come back from school back then to read the phorum's posts and just interact with fellow ZDoomers.

I thought it would just be a "phase" and I would get bored of ZDoom... here I am in 2017, STILL actively using ZDoom and actually making a standalone game derived from it. ZDoom has been ULTRA important to me the last 16 years - I dare say that ZDoom is directly responsible for transitioning me into game coding world (I'm a musician and producer; I couldn't code shit before ZDoom!).

Of course, it's also a blast to play all these cool projects that ZDoom has allowed - ZDoom's modding architecture and file structure, DECORATE, etc is simply unmatched in ANY hobbyist (or even commercial) game engine, period.

I understand that after 19 years, you've just grown and want to move to other things in life (far more important than ZDoom or game programming, I'm sure). I can respect that. Perhaps some day I will too (but hopefully not soon!). You deserve it. :D

ZDoom was like this little thing you love unconditionally and you did it all without expecting anything back. I can't say this enough - whether you realize it or not - through ZDoom, you've enriched the lives of thousands (hundreds of thousands?) around the world... I hope you know that.

I'm probably just going in circles by now so I'll stop here.

THANK YOU, RANDI. THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING.

Don't be a stranger, please. :D
invictius

Post by invictius »

edward850 wrote:
Csonicgo wrote:what have i done

WHAT HAVE I DONE

I DIDN'T MEAN TO ATTACK THE ZDOOM THIS MUCH

PLEASE GOD, NO
What wad is that?
[WH]-Wilou84

Post by [WH]-Wilou84 »

That's quite a shock, but after all these years I think this is perfectly understandable.

Thank you for all the hard work you poured into ZDoom, Randi. This is still one of my favorite ports and it obviously had a major role in Doom's survival up until now.

Good luck for your future endeavors, and good luck to Eruanna, Graf Zahl, dpJudas and all the staff and developers here - that's some massive boots to fill.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”