ZDoom is Dead. Long live ZDoom.

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

carlcyber

Re: ZDoom is Dead. Long live ZDoom.

Post by carlcyber »

Thank you for your contributions Randi. Thank you again. :thumb:

Good luck.
Panzermann11
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Panzermann11 »

Goodbye, we'll miss you.

:cry:
Doom Grey

Post by Doom Grey »

Rest in Peace, ZDoom. And, thank you, Randi for creating this port and maintaining it for this long. Good luck and Godspeed to you and everyone, who were developing this port and it's forks.

RIP ZDoom
March 6th 1998 - January 8th 2017
:(
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

tbh the only thing im worried about is the original vision getting stinted from having other peopel take over for developement, and knowing how the doom/zdoom community can get, it makes me concerned for the future with new developement leads
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

chronoteeth wrote:tbh the only thing im worried about is the original vision getting stinted from having other peopel take over for developement, and knowing how the doom/zdoom community can get, it makes me concerned for the future with new developement leads

Just a hint: I have been doing this for almost 11 years now - did this in any way change the 'vision'?
Of course things will change now, because let's be honest: With all due respect to Randi, there was hardly any 'vision' present anymore. Aside from the few big things, the last 3 years were mostly driven by external pull requests.

What this really needs is a clear roadmap - things like "I want to finish xyz before the next release" and then sticking to that statement and actually RELEASING something, not wait out the next thing, and the next, and so on...
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

I only discovered ZDoom quite recently, while attempting to replay the game I was fascinated of when I was just a child, but anyway, as of now I'd simply say since then I wouldn't have spent all this time playing, mapping, reading, discovering and enjoying all those things relative to Doom if this port hadn't been made at first...
Fortunately you, Randi, have been there and ZDoom existed all this time and I can't tell you how much I appreciate what you did.
So, it's nothing, but I, like everyone, would like to say a big Thank You, Randi.

I hope this is just a goodbye to us and not a farewell. :wink:
ReX

Post by ReX »

ZDooM has, without a doubt, contributed to the longevity of DooM. In its absence, I suspect that my interest in the game would have waned.

Many thanks to Randi/Randy Heit and the various developers who have kept this source port relevant, and best wishes.

And so, a storied chapter ends.
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Oww man, something was telling me the repentine forum index changes were meaning something. I didn't know what was happening until I saw this thread... :sadno:

Dude, what a real pity... ZDoom has been one of the best Doom sourceports I've ever played. Many weeks, even months, playing with my favourite wads, Doom, Heretic and Hexen using v2.4 and v2.5 of ZDoom... Even in my alternate Doomsday playing epoch, which was a bit far to my liking, I did know which sourceport I should choose definitely, which one was the best to play with. Only I started to used GZDoom when I had an enough good computer to process the OpenGL mode with its lights, true color mode and all that stuff... How sad news the development of such big program just stops here. Hope sincerely their successors (GZDoom, the newborn QZDoom and its distant multiplayer-relative Zandronum) can maintain the legacy and follow the path the same good manner its father has traveled for so long.

Many special thanks to Randi and all the rest of developers who have made possible the existance of the good old ZDoom. ImageImageImage

And now let me to say in my native language... ¡Hasta siempre y buena suerte! Image
Athel

Post by Athel »

Wow... I can't believe this.

Randi, I just want to say thank you for providing me memories and nostalgia. I remember being introduced to ZDoom (and further still into the doom community) by a playable monsters mod. I downloaded this by mistake (as the mod required skulltag) and I just kept on to it ever since I had a PC to play it on. I will never forget the fun times I had in the old versions, and I hope that whereever this goes will do the old versions justice.

Randi, whatever you do from here on out, make sure you do it as much justice as you did ZDoom. And... thank you.
Kilkakon

Post by Kilkakon »

So long and thanks for all the fish :) It's been a blast.
FelipeO_O

Post by FelipeO_O »

OK ok what is going on here.... *after reading the topic*

Really dude, that shocked me... After several years of development (of course wont die the community). Good bye Randi heit.

(this game is older than me well f@#$)
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Damn, I'm just finding this now. Doom probably influenced all of my interests today to some degree, and ZDoom definitely had a massive part in keeping me into Doom for all these years. Good luck with your future endeavors, and thanks for the good times!
Popsoap10

Post by Popsoap10 »

Just noticed this and had a couple thoughts.

First, I'd like to thank Randi for creating arguably the most influential port for DOOM. A lot of DOOM's longevity is in part due to the ports developed for it, and ZDoom has no doubt contributed greatly to preserving an active community for this game. I wish Randi luck in her future endeavors.

Second, despite being dead, this is by no means the end of ZDoom's legacy. With GZDoom, QZDoom and Zandronum in active development, there is still a very long road ahead for this port. And who knows, maybe at some point ZDoom will get picked up by someone else and rise from the grave.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

Graf Zahl wrote:
chronoteeth wrote:tbh the only thing im worried about is the original vision getting stinted from having other peopel take over for developement, and knowing how the doom/zdoom community can get, it makes me concerned for the future with new developement leads

Just a hint: I have been doing this for almost 11 years now - did this in any way change the 'vision'?
Of course things will change now, because let's be honest: With all due respect to Randi, there was hardly any 'vision' present anymore. Aside from the few big things, the last 3 years were mostly driven by external pull requests.

What this really needs is a clear roadmap - things like "I want to finish xyz before the next release" and then sticking to that statement and actually RELEASING something, not wait out the next thing, and the next, and so on...
It didnt, but your project was always an offshoot of zdoom. With randi stepping down, now the massive sudden forum changes without any sort of heads up to this, does make me feel concerned. Change is good, and having an idea for the future is even better, but perhaps the best choice for a new sort of proprietor for the zdoom source port may be someone completely outside of the usual zdoomer user fare.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

You are free to your opinion, obviously, but personally I disagree.

If Graf were really that stinted there never would have been an OpenGL renderer for GZDoom. It never would have gotten Fragglescript and certain DECORATE extensions before ZDoom did.

As for the forum changes, most of those were either planned (deprecating the issues forums), or they were done out of a long necessity (darker style, sorting the projects forum into multiple subforums).

And just so you know, as of this very moment Randi has 100% access to the site and its assets. She could log in and pull the plug on me in under 2 minutes before I even knew what happened. And I am pretty sure even if she hasn't logged in all day today, it would not take her long to figure out what I have done. Everything I have done has been requested and/or agreed upon by more than one person - and most of the evidence of that exists in this topic as well as the two in General Discussion that sparked most of these changes. (There is one that started out of a private forum, but the evidence is pretty clear there as well to those who have access to it)

Suffice to say, if Graf wanted to drive the project into the ground, all he'd have to do is quit. It's literally that simple for him. And after 12 years he's still here. He could cut everyone off - leave us high and dry - and he has no obligation to even care.

ZDoom.org is being continued now for both ZDoom and its child projects. If you don't like the changes that are being made you are free to voice your opinion about them - but just bear in mind that no one is required to follow your beliefs. The onus is on you to make them convincing enough - and that is done by providing well thought out reasoning and trying to illustrate the consequences that you are trying to avoid.

The point of me saying all this really is - things are a lot more organized here than you give credit for. People do talk to each other, discuss, and agree on things. It's not as sudden as you think.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”