ZDoom is Dead. Long live ZDoom.

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: ZDoom is Dead. Long live ZDoom.

Post by Rachael »

It looks like more than that in the About page needs to be rewritten.

I'm thinking I might import some scripts from DRD Team that allowed maintenance of portal pages from the forum itself, then possibly rewriting the relevant parts of the About page as needed.
Gez

Post by Gez »

How feasible would it be to have such portal pages pulling from the wiki?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It's feasible but I have no scripts available that can do that. If you find any or are able to make one, it certainly would help.

But keep in mind that such pages need to be locked on the wiki for obvious reasons. Portal pages are a huge target for defacement.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The very simplest would be to embed a page using action=render, because that only gives the raw rendered page, without the sidebar, editing links, etc. E.g. main page done this way.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Well that'll certainly work. Now to just embed it into a proper header/footer pair and we're golden.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Been away for a week and WHAT THE ACTUAL F--K ?!?!?!

So many things been said in this thread already so I'll confine myself to the obvious:

BIG thanks Randi for ZDoom and all you did.
BIG thanks to Graf Zahl, Euranna, Blzut3, dpJudas, lud and anyone else who is keeping ZDoom alive in one form or other.

I'll stick with ZDoom 2.8.1 for now until my current projects are finished; hopefully by then GZDoom and QZDoom will have merged. ( Yes that might be a long time but The Butchery has been in development on and off since 2004, and will likely not see /idgames until 2020 so it's not a huge problem LOL )
Last edited by MartinHowe on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

MartinHowe wrote:Blutz
Is this a name a reference to Blzut3, by chance?

I normally wouldn't otherwise point it out, but... that's someone's name. >_<
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Eruanna wrote:
MartinHowe wrote:Blutz
Is this a name a reference to Blzut3, by chance?
Thanks - fixed in post!
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

Well, I wasn't expecting this. I only just heard about it.

Eh, it is what it is.

Never knew ya, randi, but I wish ya well.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Eruanna wrote:Well that'll certainly work. Now to just embed it into a proper header/footer pair and we're golden.
I think all that's needed to make it live is to go to whatever source file is used to create the About page, and just replace the custom content (not whatever is responsible for the sidebar) with either

Code: Select all

<?php include("/w/index.php?action=render&title=ZDoom:About_ZDoom"); ?>
or

Code: Select all

<?php readfile("/w/index.php?action=render&title=ZDoom:About_ZDoom"); ?>
That should probably work.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

No - neither worked.

I don't think you can pass a URI to PHP code like that.

I changed them to their local absolute paths, also.

I also tried 'readfile("https://zdoom.org/w/index.php?action=re ... bout_ZDoom")' but that was forbidden - probably because security settings forbade it - for good reason, honestly.
Tifosi 92

Post by Tifosi 92 »

Just checked the site a few minutes ago out of curiosity, and I have to say I'm quite shocked.

Haven't been a member here very long--joined last year to post a project that had been in the making for four-and-a-half years--but I have been playing ZDoom for far longer than that.

My first exposure to this source port came through Chex Quest 3, which was now impossibly compatible with newer versions of Windows in a way the original game wasn't; I played the original Chex as a kid and loved it, and never knew it was a Doom spin-off until I started reading more about what powered Chex Quest 3. From that point onward, my brother and I started building a total conversion for Doom (we'd never make it), but there was never any question that ZDoom would be the port that powered it.

Years later, I finally finished the aforementioned Chex Quest project, which was an emotional, personal odyssey of sorts in so many ways. I can't imagine what putting nearly twenty years of effort into something like this must feel like, and I now find myself incredibly thankful I was able to contribute even in a small, unusual way to ZDoom's history.

It has been nine years since I first opened ZDoom to play Chex Quest 3. In those nine years, I've jumped from computer to computer--now ending up all the way over on a Mac after 18 years of using Windows--and throughout all of that, ZDoom has been with me, providing me various portals to what in my opinion remains gaming's golden age, creating new memories from well-trodden landscapes. For a lot of people, you extended and expanded upon a unique hobby. For others, like me, you played a part in providing a gateway back to my childhood, and I'm enormously thankful for that.

Thank you so much for your generosity, randi, and best of luck in all of your future endeavors!
Gez

Post by Gez »

Eruanna wrote:No - neither worked.

I don't think you can pass a URI to PHP code like that.

I changed them to their local absolute paths, also.

I also tried 'readfile("https://zdoom.org/w/index.php?action=re ... bout_ZDoom")' but that was forbidden - probably because security settings forbade it - for good reason, honestly.
Well it's been a while since I meddled in PHP. Readfile worked for me with a localhost URL in my test, so I didn't expect a complication for using a local path.
kevans91

Post by kevans91 »

Gez wrote:Well it's been a while since I meddled in PHP. Readfile worked for me with a localhost URL in my test, so I didn't expect a complication for using a local path.
The difference is going through webserver/PHP interpreter vs. actually attempting to read as a file off of the local filesystem -- which is what will be assumed if starting off with a path separator or no explicit protocol. =)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

@ Gez: The problem is mostly security settings - which for obvious reasons I refuse to meddle with (except possibly to make them even more restrictive). If we can get around that, it's a non-issue. In the mean time though I think we have to look into calling Mediawiki's API directly.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”