ZDoom is Dead. Long live ZDoom.

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: ZDoom is Dead. Long live ZDoom.

Post by Rachael »

ZDoom.org is not Doomworld. :)

That being said no one ever said you had to use the new theme. It's completely optional, in fact it doesn't even support the ZDoom theme itself very much since it's mostly blue. It's just there to be easier on the eyes.
Aliotroph?

Post by Aliotroph? »

This is a huge shock to those of us who don't follow ZDoom development very closely. I understand sometimes you just need to walk away from a thing, though, so good luck, randi. Your contribution to DOOM has been invaluable to so many people!

It's awesome to see the community here working together. I'm unfamiliar with so many projects and changes mentioned in this thread. Now I have to go exploring a bit. :D
QuappaX

Post by QuappaX »

Well, it's not like it was unexpected... the last couple of weeks it was already pretty clear that ZDoom will die.
Still sad news, though. Randi, I wish you luck in your future projects, if you'll have those, and again, thank you for bringing ZDoom to life and indirectly contributing to everything that spawned off it.

Now the only thing that is left to hope for is that Graf Zahl and Eruanna, and of course all other people that are contributing to it, will take good care of Q/GZDoom and zdoom.org. I am confident that they will.

(BTW, what's up with the change of the title from "(but the site isn't)" to "Long live ZDoom."? Just curious, that's all.)
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

QuappaX wrote:Well, it's not like it was unexpected... the last couple of weeks it was already pretty clear that ZDoom will die.
I don't hang around here as often as I probably should, but I've already seen this mentioned a couple of times in this thread. What exactly did I miss, here? I'm genuinely curious. :?
QuappaX

Post by QuappaX »

silentzora wrote:
QuappaX wrote:Well, it's not like it was unexpected... the last couple of weeks it was already pretty clear that ZDoom will die.
I don't hang around here as often as I probably should, but I've already seen this mentioned a couple of times in this thread. What exactly did I miss, here? I'm genuinely curious. :?
I at least got that assumption because from what I noticed, ZDoom development slowed down before Randi went absent, and QZDoom was branched.
Of course it's not the first time that ZDoom got branched, but this time the goal was a true-color software renderer, code cleanup and merging with GZDoom, where I wondered why ZDoom itself didn't do that.
Then Randi went absent, and just about two weeks ago Graf Zahl stopped keeping ZDoom up-to-date.

Then I read the "Quo Vadis ZDoom?" thread, and it was pretty clear to me.

Maybe not definite signals, but it was enough for me to believe that ZDoom will fall behind and die eventually.
Definitely didn't expect it to die so soon, though.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

silentzora wrote:
Actually, the writing has been on the wall for a long time. For once, look at ZDoom's spotty release schedule with sometimes more than two years between releases, despite ongoing development, and of course Randi's prolonged periods of absence.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

QuappaX wrote:I at least got that assumption because from what I noticed, ZDoom development slowed down before Randi went absent, and QZDoom was branched.
Of course it's not the first time that ZDoom got branched, but this time the goal was a true-color software renderer, code cleanup and merging with GZDoom, where I wondered why ZDoom itself didn't do that.
Then Randi went absent, and just about two weeks ago Graf Zahl stopped keeping ZDoom up-to-date.
All that may have accelerated her decision, but I don't really think that's ultimately the cause. Any changes done in QZDoom will be moved back to ZDoom if she requests it. I think I can safely speak for all the developers here, if Randi changes her mind and wants to get back into the game, then she's always welcome here.

If I'm to speculate, I think the real reason is more linked to the fact that this community is over 20 years old now - both it and she slowly changed over all those years.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Just a note, the changelog has been adjusted to show all of GZDoom's future commits instead of just ZDoom's. Which is very nice.
intenscia

Post by intenscia »

From the entire team at ModDB to ZDoom creators and community, thanks for pushing modding so far forward! Our farewell for you is here.

Eruanna it goes without saying that if you need help hosting or with anything else - please don't hesitate to reach out to me.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

intenscia wrote:From the entire team at ModDB to ZDoom creators and community, thanks for pushing modding so far forward! Our farewell for you is here.

Eruanna it goes without saying that if you need help hosting or with anything else - please don't hesitate to reach out to me.
That is so kind of you. :)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Major Cooke wrote:Just a note, the changelog has been adjusted to show all of GZDoom's future commits instead of just ZDoom's. Which is very nice.

But it seems to lag somewhat behind. With ZDoom updates were immediate.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I suspect there is a cron job or something I may have missed. Her site is actually a building of multiple things working together in unison.

Or maybe the ZDoom repo had webhooks that triggered an update.
LabtechX01

Post by LabtechX01 »

You know, I've always used ZDoom for years, but I never got around to getting an account until now, when it's too late.

Thank you, Randi and everyone behind ZDoom, and I wish you all the best of luck. And congratulations to the new site admin, Eruanna. I'm positive she will carry on this fantastic legacy.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Just wanted to say huge thanks to Randi for all the amazing contributions to ZDoom and the community at large. I haven't been active here in a very long time but ZDoom was always THE port for me: it blew my mind when I first discovered it (and has continued to do so on the regular), and introduced me to an entirely new dimension of creativity and boundary-pushing for one of my all-time favourite games. It seems like the future is in very capable hands too, which is fantastic. Keep up the incredible work, one and all.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

https://zdoom.org/About

You might want to update this page because of this line:

It runs well under all modern versions of Windows, from Windows 95 to the new Windows Vista. If you have Linux, it works with that too.

That and the TeamTNT link on bottom no longer working.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”