ZDoom is Dead. Long live ZDoom.

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Re: ZDoom is Dead. Long live ZDoom.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

I may not know you by any other means as the person who makes ZDoom, but for the past 10 years of me knowing about this port I got to see what people can really do in doom. and in turn this showed me a new way of playing doom, and for that I am eternally greatful.

This source port had been there for countless lan parties "some with family, some with friends" and playing it also got me through the worse of times ' Such as the social struggles at high school and losing family members" for that I am greatful for the continued work.

I love Zdoom, (and it's subsidiary port GZdoom) and it's a shame that it's ending now "not without a port that can fill it's place" but that new port can never truly recreate the joy and limitless wonder that a younger me experienced when finding about it online seeing all the stuff and eagerly waiting for the Next WW mod or being totally mindblown while playing Zen Dynamics.

Thanks for the memories, thank you for everything.
Vader

Post by Vader »

Really sad news, but I can understand that decision :cry:

Thanks for all the hard work Randi and good luck for whatever your future plans are!
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

This came out of far left field to hear this, do be well on your future endeavors.
Kassman

Post by Kassman »

Doom brought me to the community, and Zdoom kept me there. Stuff like KZdoom, Zort, and Massmouth were the wads that inspired me to try my hand at mapping in the first place. Excellent source port, and still my default anytime I want to quickly play something.

Thanks for all the years of hard work Randi! Best of luck to your future endeavors!
Skwirl

Post by Skwirl »

I feel like that for the year I have been using the derivatives based off of your work, which in essence gave me a new platform to help keep my game design dreams alive, I should thank you for your efforts here.

It's amazing you've kept it going as long as you have, and how it impacted the gaming community in general. Hats off to you. I'll have a drink when I get back.
Use3d

Post by Use3d »

Zdoom was the second port I bothered with long ago, after Legacy's allure quickly wore off. Though I've since moved on to more classic centered ports, zdoom is still a go-to for quick plays or when getting any new players into Doom. I hope you continue to contribute to the forum at least maybe on a more personal level? It would be nice to get to know you better. :)
Titan314

Post by Titan314 »

I have had much fun making maps and messing around with ZDoom. You have left behind something that I will be using for many years to come. ZDoom is also the biggest influence on me learning to program, which is now my favorite thing to do. Seeing ZDoom made me want to program so that I could add new features.

Whatever you move on to, I hope that life treats you well. Thank Randi for the amazing port and the inspiration for learning how to program.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Thanks for everything.
GeeDougg
Location: VanCity, British Colonies, Isolated Republic Of Canuckistan

Post by GeeDougg »

This is big (and sad) news, so much so that it's even brought me out of a long lurking slumber. I actually had to double-check and make sure it's not April 1st.

I suppose the port will technically live on through its close clones/relatives/off-shoots/children/descendants. Thanks for all the hard work you put into this absolute legend of a port, Randi.
TechnoDoomed1

Post by TechnoDoomed1 »

I'm sure randi does what she deems best, and her legacy will live on. She might still come from time to time, have a blast playing some mods, chatting with the people around here she grew to know over the years, see how the new features are evolving... And there's no rule she can't come back in the future if so she wants.

Wish you the best of luck randi, and thank you for all your years of effort.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I sincerely hope that Randi eventually comes back contributing again - maybe it's easier without the pressue of having to maintain the entire thing, which can be quite a drag, especially with a community this demanding.
GeeDougg
Location: VanCity, British Colonies, Isolated Republic Of Canuckistan

Post by GeeDougg »

I always figured that with contributions from long-time community members and programmers (like yourself) some of the pressure would be lifted from his shoulders. I suppose he's trying to maximize his time efficiency and dedicate more of it to "real life", like so many others do. Something tells me he's not completely done with the community or the port for good, but that might be wishful thinking on my part.
DoomerMrT

Post by DoomerMrT »

Instead of saying goodbyes, I say thank you for what you have done in all these years. The door will be always open for you, if you ever decide to reclaim your rightful throne here :)
Risen

Post by Risen »

Stopping in to say a great big thanks. ZDoom has been a leader among ports for a very long time and greatly extended the life of the game for myself and others. The quality and attention to detail was always very evident.

My best to you for the future, Randi.
spaceduck

Post by spaceduck »

Good luck, randi, and thank you for everything you've done over the last 19 years. :)

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”