ZDoom is Dead. Long live ZDoom.

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

GeeDougg
Location: VanCity, British Colonies, Isolated Republic Of Canuckistan

Re: ZDoom is Dead. Long live ZDoom.

Post by GeeDougg »

Forgive and correct me if I'm wrong on any of the following assumptions, but wouldn't the problem with the "someone completely outside of the usual zdoomer user fare" scenario be a relative lack of familiarity with the current code? That would also beg the question: who codes well, knows ZDooM, and has the time, vision and desire to take over? Wouldn't it more likely be one (or several) of the veterans already active here?

As for the forums, I was under the impression that Randi is leaving and giving control of the forums - if not the project along with it - to someone like Eruanna. I'd be surprised if no private conversations regarding the aforementioned have taken place, are taking place right now, or will at some point given that someone may want to continue the project with Randi's permission.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

Not as sudden for those who regularly talk in, say, chats and stuff, but to the majority it is.

Still, you've been known to run this pretty dang well. I guess im more worried about someone new given the ok to run the sourceport over the forum
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Nobody has been given authority to run the source port, itself. If anything, those will be archived (I really am against deleting things! .. lol) unless Randi decides to come back.

Thank you for the kind words, though. I have faith that Graf will treat GZDoom well. This isn't the situation we all wanted (most of us, including myself, really want Randi back, full throttle), but it's better than what we've had for most of the past year.
juizzysquirt

Post by juizzysquirt »

What a sad news this is...

Although to be honest, I've only rarely fired up plain ol' zdoom during all these years. I've always been a real sucker for OpenGL ports ever since I found Doom Legacy around '02 or so. After countless (futile) attempts at modding, I got frustrated by the limitations of fragglescript and remember being somewhat jealous of Zdoom community with them having coolest mods with slopes, Hexen-stuff and ACS above all. Only the lack of hardware renderer was what kept me away back then. Of course I went through all the major OpenGL ports back then, Doomsday, EDGE, and Vavoom but none of them had all the things I was looking for.

After discovering ZdoomGL and GZDoom, I've never looked back. Eventually I got hooked to this site as the source of core updates and cool mods, and the awesome Zdoom Wiki. I remember being really excited whenever new features were introduced, especially new DECORATE and UDMF-map format. That alone was a real "game changer" and couraged me to go back to mapping and coding after years of just playing.

Thank you Randi, for all these years of development and keeping people like me hooked on giving hellspawn a can of... No, double-barrels of whoop-ass. :twisted:
Wills

Post by Wills »

F

;_;7
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

chronoteeth wrote: It didnt, but your project was always an offshoot of zdoom.
Well, take a look who has done the majority of work on ZDoom and then reconsider your statements.
chronoteeth wrote: With randi stepping down, now the massive sudden forum changes without any sort of heads up to this, does make me feel concerned. Change is good, and having an idea for the future is even better, but perhaps the best choice for a new sort of proprietor for the zdoom source port may be someone completely outside of the usual zdoomer user fare.
What do you expect? The migration of the bug tracker has been an active topic among developers for two months now - guess whose absence stalled it longer than necessary.
As for the forum changes, there have been two other:

- the darker color theme had also been on many people's wishlist, it was just so that one certain person never acted on these requests. Now someone who did care was able to install it.
- the reorganization of the Projects forum had also been an ongoing issue for a long time - and again it was just a certain person's inactivity that made nothing happen until now.

It's nice to finally have admins who actually care about maintaining the site and do the necessary things. Why all this sudden? Because finally someone with access was willing to do what had been desperately needed for a long, long time. This is normally what happens if a project in need of maintenance gets new maintainers: They clean up the backlog of issues.
ReX

Post by ReX »

Eruanna wrote:As for the forum changes... they were done out of a long necessity (darker style....
Graf Zahl wrote:As for the forum changes, there have been two other:

- the darker color theme had also been on many people's wishlist....
Am I missing something? I'm still seeing the tan and brown color scheme for the forums. I even looked over the General forums to see if there was some discussion on this, but found nothing. Is this a planned (upcoming) feature, or do I need to do something with my browser in order to see the new color scheme?
Gez

Post by Gez »

ReX wrote:Am I missing something? I'm still seeing the tan and brown color scheme for the forums. I even looked over the General forums to see if there was some discussion on this, but found nothing. Is this a planned (upcoming) feature, or do I need to do something with my browser in order to see the new color scheme?
If you want to try the new color scheme, you just need to go there and select it on the "My board style:" drop down. The default theme, "prosilver (Brown)" hasn't been changed; but you can try "ZDoom Blue (v3)" (or v2, but I think this one isn't going to stay).
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

v3 is in-development. v2 is the "stable" version. Gez is correct that v2 isn't going to stay. Once v3 looks more like it without template hacks and that kind of trickery, it will be merged into v3 and v2 will be gone.
ReX

Post by ReX »

Got it, thanks.
Curunir
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Curunir »

Popped over to Doomworld and saw this as frontpage news.

Well, I guess it's a goodbye then, Randi!

Thank you for working on this wonderful project and jumpstarting those new versions. I have been off those forums for nearly a decade but I never really stopped playing Doom in that time and I felt like I should pop over and drop a line of thanks.

So, indeed, thank you for extending the lifespan of one of my favorite games into the present and the future! Best of luck in your future endevors! o7
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Thanks a lot for everything Randi! And don't forget to check back with us now and then :)
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

thanks for all the years of work on this randi.

odd coincidence as far as I'm concerned as I've finally found myself coming to a natural end to my modding days. time to move on and I don't mean to gzdoom or the like. guess its a simple game-over for guys like me... take care
printz

Post by printz »

Gez wrote:
ReX wrote:Am I missing something? I'm still seeing the tan and brown color scheme for the forums. I even looked over the General forums to see if there was some discussion on this, but found nothing. Is this a planned (upcoming) feature, or do I need to do something with my browser in order to see the new color scheme?
If you want to try the new color scheme, you just need to go there and select it on the "My board style:" drop down. The default theme, "prosilver (Brown)" hasn't been changed; but you can try "ZDoom Blue (v3)" (or v2, but I think this one isn't going to stay).
Will the new theme become the default, or replace the current one? I'm not going to change settings in my control panel; I can't really trust the quality of a theme that is not the default. See the mess with non-default themes over at Doomworld, for example.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It's just an added theme for those of us who have problems looking at bright screens, nothing more, nothing less.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”