ZDoom 2.7.1

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: ZDoom 2.7.1

Post by Rachael »

A day compared to two and a half years is nothing. ;)
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Not surprisingly I know that feeling. One day you wake up and it's like you recall certain memories from one day several years ago and it's like "Whoa... So much time passed!"
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Very true.
Spoiler: Useless and annoying little anecdote that is a waste of time to read
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Eruanna wrote:but they want you to have a fancy Bachelor's or Master's degree, 6 years of experience, and a bunch of other ridiculous things. So I went for a field that seemed more fun instead - graphics design.[/spoiler]

Yes, it's absolutely ridiculous when I look for programming jobs. 20 years of professional experience do not count, all these idiots want is some theoretician fresh from university. No wonder that corporate software is often pure shit.

Sadly I suck at graphics design. :(
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Fresh uni grads don't know corporate tricks like 20 year pros do. You can scam a fresh graduate with a lower benefits package, longer hours, and fewer breaks - they won't ask for more. You can give a fresh grad a tiny cubicle with a steel or wooden chair, absolutely no desk space, and a cheap ebay computer fresh from 20 years ago - again, they still won't know better.

A seasoned pro won't put up with any of that, and they cost a lot more.

Corporate logic is flawed though - a seasoned pro will make you more money in the end, because the solidity of the code cannot come close to being contested by a fresh uni grad.

When a job listing has unreasonable requirements - chances are it's a pretty shit place to work anyway.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

Stated job requirements usually are not hard requirements. You absolutely can apply for jobs that say they require a degree or X years of experience without one provided you have demonstrable skills. You do have to work harder at it though since you need to make it onto the top of the resume pile.

The company I work for states a requirement of a bachelors degree and prefers a master's, but we hired a college drop out with demonstrated exceptional programming language and C++ knowledge.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Blzut3 wrote: but we hired a college drop out with demonstrated exceptional programming language and C++ knowledge.

Those are often the most qualified ones. Strange but true. Sometimes it seems that these people are far better at thinking out of the box compared to those who got years upon years of academic indoctrination.
Eevee

Post by Eevee »

FYI, the links to the .debs and source code are all broken. The files are there; the links are just wrong.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The source link has a typo and I guess the Linux packages haven't been built yet.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

While we are at it:

The comment to the source states:

This is the source code for ZDoom 2.7.1. It has been compressed with 7-Zip. You can build it with Visual C++ 2005 or GCC.

I spot at least two errors here: We are ar 2.8.0 and it can be compiled with ANY Visual Studio since 2005, no need to dig out that ancient clunker.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

The Ubuntu packages are there, they just have an underscore before the version number since that's how the package builder formats them (i.e. <package-name>_<version>_<arch>.deb). Nothing important about that format as the package manager will read the meta data inside the file, so they can be renamed to be inline with the other two platforms if desired.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”