ZDoom on GitHub

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

randi
Site Admin

Re: ZDoom on GitHub

Post by randi »

And now the changelog stuff should be working as well as before. SVN revision numbers and git commit hashes are interchangeable for the details pages. e.g. The following two links will show the same commit, the first using a SVN revision, and the second using a git hash:

http://zdoom.org/Changelog/4335/files
http://zdoom.org/Changelog/902f664/files
Nash

Post by Nash »

Will the "Programmer's Corner" section on the wiki be updated to reflect the new Git stuff?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Obviously.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Why is there a doomtech repository on Github? Who's maintaining that one? For a while, I was relying on that repo until I read some forum posts and found out the real repositories for ZDoom and GZDoom.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

That was a mirror of the SVN repositories. No idea who maintained it.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Doomtech is maintained by AlexMax.

It was to mirror the SVN repository, so do not expect it to be updated anymore for ZDoom and GZDoom.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I guess it's also because searching for "gzdoom" on Github's search bar doesn't reveal Graf's repo.
Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

re: intelligble version numbers: you can tag a changeset as 'initial' or something like that and get git to calculate a 'revision number' as the amount of commits since this initial changeset, see `git describe`
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Nightfall wrote:git describe
We already do that.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

At the risk of sounding like an idiot:

Does this mean an end to pre-built interim releases (like on the DRDTeam repo)? What are the implications for those of us who have no knowledge/means of compiling our own? Given the timescale between official builds these days, I'm more than a little concerned. For anyone not modding the port itself, this does strike me as something of a palaver.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

DRD Team site still provides unofficial builds; the move to Git didn't change that.
Nash

Post by Nash »

You're actually getting more frequent interim releases at DRDTeam now because Blzut3 is using an automated build system.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

scalliano wrote:For anyone not modding the port itself, this does strike me as something of a palaver.
If all you are doing is downloading the source and compiling it, SVN and Git represent much the same level of "palaver" as each other. To do it properly, both require you to to have some software installed to download the contents of the repository (and manage downloading updates to it). Other than the fact that the software required is a different program for the two systems, that's about it. You download the source using the interface software and then compile the source.

As Nash said, thanks to Blzut3, the builds of ZDoom and GZDoom on DRD are now being handled by a "nightly" (ytzmv*) automated build system so changes usually make it into a build more quickly than before (when builds usually relied on me having time to make a build after checking the repository manually).

*your time zone may vary ;)
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Right, I get you. Thanks, I was worried that I would have to swot up on Git and compiling before I could update again. I've never compiled anything other than ACS before.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The fun thing is that you can still use a Subversion client with GitHub: https://github.com/blog/966-improved-su ... nt-support

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”