The Monster Resource Wad

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

cccp_leha

Re: ok i'm clueless...

Post by cccp_leha »

fwank44 wrote:but how i can see those monsters?i mean how i can load them in zdoom?i tried to drag n' drop method with the monsterdemo.wad and all the monsters were !.please help
You have to load monsters.wad because monsterdemo.wad does not contain any monsters.
fwank44

Post by fwank44 »

yes i do...
fwank44

Post by fwank44 »

and how those new monsters will appear?do i have to make sth special?sorry for being cluelless and thanks for helping me
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

OK, monsters.wad contains all the monsters' graphics and DECORATE's but no levels; monsterdemo.wad contains a test level with the monsters but not the actual mosnters themselves. If you want to use the monsters in your own WAD, you need to include monsters.wad as an external source.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

In other words, click on monsters.wad, then ctrl-click on monsterdemo.wad and drag them both on top of zdoom.exe.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Anyway, the hectobus: I was just thinking of 4 arms (6 limbs in total :D). It wouldn't fire 4 differtent projectiles, it would fire 4 smaller, less powerfulk mancubus projectiles that spread a bit more intensly. It's HP would be slightly stronger and it would be as fast as the ordinary monster. Why do you guys think that a monster that is slightly modified must be 1000x more powerful? Anyway, all ytou'd really need to do is cut up the graphics and with some minor editing it would look pritty cool. Keep that blue colour because that looks cool. In fact, because it's myzzle flash is blue, make the fireballs blue too.

There, I wanna see this cus this would be cool... urm, Mmmm... ya know how the old saying goes... if you want something done... do it yourself :D. That's no promise though.

:twisted:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Lexus Alyus wrote:Why do you guys think that a monster that is slightly modified must be 1000x more powerful?
A very good question. :yup:
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'm ready to update. The new version should be in /newstuff tomorrow.

New monsters are:

PlasmaElemental
Maelstrom
Cacolich1
Cacolich2
SuperImp

RifleZombie
SpreadFireZombie
Eternal Dreams

Post by Eternal Dreams »

...THE CACOLICH LIVES! MWAHAHA!
Carnevil

Post by Carnevil »

Enjay wrote: Yes, I think you are right. Not necessarily just for this monster, but as a general principle. We are getting a lot of monsters that are simply re-coloured. That's fine, hey even id did it with the Hell Knight, but I think we are reaching saturation point. A little bit of actual editing and changing of how the monsters look I think is in order.
Well, in a perfect world, there would be far more really original, fun monsters. Unfortunately, there's not exactly a super abundance of talented artists in the community. The few that there are are often busy with IRL stuff or already working on something else and don't have time to contribute.

So, what options are you left with? Sadly, not much. Either a). You can do a completely new monster (or even a heavily edited original one) that has a good chance of not being visually up to par with the original id monsters, or b). You can recolor an existing monster and possibly make slight alterations, so that it often WILL be visually up to par, however being possibly boring. So, it basically comes down to "original, looks good: choose one".

... of course, if there ARE talented artists around, it's best to go with secret option c). Make a new monster that's original and looks great. But, that's sadly a pretty rare option. I've exercised this in Skulltag whenever possible. Unfortunately, it seems a lot of artists like to skip town after awhile :evil:

Anyway, my point is that while having monsters with either mostly or completely new artwork sounds great, it's not always feasible.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Carnevil wrote:Stuff about what I said.
All true. My point wasn't that recoloured sprites are bad. They are not (or at least they don't have to be) and of course they tie in with the look of the originals too. My point was more that we are getting lots of recoloured sprites and sooner or later, especially with the limited doom palette, we are going to run out of good/interesting combinations. In fact, we seem to be nearing that point already.

It is a little dull and disappointing to open up a wad featuring teh new super 1337 enemy only to find it is yet another recoloured one that is quite likely to look like a washed out, or overly colourful version of the original. In addition, it will probably have too many hit points, an excessive attack and may be scaled up to look horribly pixelated too.

Some recolourings work incredibly well, however. Your very own Skulltag Blood Demon is probably the best recolour job I've seen. It may even look better than the original.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Heh, you just described most of the monsters in Giest doom there ;).

:twisted:
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

I love this mod! I expecially love the Arachnophyte!
Wasted Youth

Post by Wasted Youth »

I have a suggestion...
Maybe create a image or word document that has the name of the monster and a picture of it and possabley a description on what the monster does.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I thought of that but decided against it for one reason: Memory usage. A picture-less description file is already in there but let's not forget that not everybody has fast internet access so I won't bloat the ZIP with unnecessary data. Plus, for examining the monsters there are the 2 demo WADs.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”