The Monster Resource Wad

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The "blinding" was actually discussed a while ago - give a monster the A_MonsterRail codepointer in his attacks several times over, and make sure his attack damage is set to 0. Your screen will flash red for a while, or at least, that's what the intended effect is.
clarence144

Post by clarence144 »

The only thing that would suck though is he wouldn't be able to seek rervenge on another monster, or it would look stupid. So it would have to be set to NOT get back at a monster that accidently hits him.

Oh, and last night I did make my useless imp, an Imp that can't do anything. If you shoot him a soul sphere and a gun flys out :D
bartwart

Post by bartwart »

clarence144 wrote:Oh, and last night I did make my useless imp, an Imp that can't do anything. If you shoot him a soul sphere and a gun flys out :D
He could be The Piñata Imp! Shoot the Imp for prizes.
clarence144

Post by clarence144 »

lol, yes. It's funny when another monster pisses it off though. It seeks revenge by walking up to him and looking at him while doing nothing.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

For some reason that reminds me of those "PUNCH THE MONKEY" ads - wouldn't it be funny to make a Decorate monster that just runs around, and when you shoot it, he drops a pop-up ad?
BouncyTEM
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

wildweasel wrote:The "blinding" was actually discussed a while ago - give a monster the A_MonsterRail codepointer in his attacks several times over, and make sure his attack damage is set to 0. Your screen will flash red for a while, or at least, that's what the intended effect is.
you can also have a monster that has A_CustomBulletattack (0,0,500,0,"BulletPuff") for the attack and have it shoot that constantly for a constantly being blinded effect.
Macil

Post by Macil »

Or you could, make it uses SetFont to set the font to a giant white (or black, whatever!) graphic, and then constantly use the Print(s:"a") to blind the player?
clarence144

Post by clarence144 »

Tell me what you people think of this ghost imp

ACTOR GhostImp : DoomImp 20610
{
Health 70
Mass 200
MONSTER
MissileType DoomImpBall
Speed 9
PainChance 255
+DROPOFF
+NOCLIP
+NONSHOOTABLE
RENDERSTYLE TRANSLUCENT
ALPHA 0.3
Obituary "%o now believes in ghosts"
States
{
Melee:
Missile:
TROO EF 8 A_FaceTarget
TROO G 28 A_MissileAttack
TROO G 28 A_MissileAttack
Goto See
}
}
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

2 things mate.

1.We'll be able to tell You how good it is in a better way if You actually made a test wad with it, so we could see it in action.
2.Go to the editing forum, start a new thread or post it in the "Monster Resource Thread". There are little chances anyone will see it here.
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

Hmm, I once made a GhostImp based off of white imp sprites and a black imp fireball. TDA did the Decorate, but Graf didn't like it :(
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Kirby wrote:Hmm, I once made a GhostImp based off of white imp sprites and a black imp fireball. TDA did the Decorate, but Graf didn't like it :(

If wasn't white, it was pink! Which wasn't the biggest problem. The main problem was that I couldn't find a way to make it fit into the monster WAD.
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

Well, I never said I knew WHY you didn';t like it :P

At the time I simply figured I would add a new imp :)
ggg

Post by ggg »

Hey, I'm relatively new to Doombuilder. I've made numerous wads with DEU and such, but am a bit rusty around the edges. I would love to be able to include the monsters from the resource wads into some of my own levels, but I've been getting nowhere with what I've tried.

I have monsters.wad in the Doombuilder directory of course.
I tried going to Tools->Configuration and where it says Use %A or %F (still not sure which) I replaced %A with monsters.wad. No idea where the monster sprites are to be selected. Do I need to replace "-iwad %D" with "-iwad Doom2" and so on? So far it looks like this: -iwad %D -file "%A" "humans.wad" +map %L -skill 4 The engine is set to zdoom skill 4.

If possible, I'd like a step-by-step procedure to put the new monsters in a level I created. (Though I'd still run monsters.wad with the other wad file)

I downloaded the cfg files which Zero said would help with DB (on page 39 I think), but I have no idea how to use a .cfg file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! And fantastic job on those monsters!

(I posted this in the original Monster Resource thread, but that's kind of old, so I 'm posting this here.)
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

ggg wrote:Hey, (...)
That's very nice, but post Your introduction thread in the /general sub-forum. Otherwise You will no/less replies when posted here. Thx.
Nightmare Doom

Post by Nightmare Doom »

I would like to have those Resource monsters for the next Hell Reaveled.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”