The Monster Resource Wad

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Indeed, completing the single-player portion took me about 5 days as well. The multiplayer is a nice diversion, but nothing spectacular. I'm looking forward to more maps as well as of course mods which will keep the game alive for years. Why this prospect bothers Graf, I'll never understand.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I don't think there will be mods to keep this game alive for years.

As there haven't really been for Quake, Quake2 and most other newer shooters with the sole exception of Half Life (and even that couldn't remotely compare with Doom.)

Besides, I already have said multiple times that I didn't like the game.
nossr50

Post by nossr50 »

Doom kicked ass, it took me a day and a half to complete
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Doom does kick ass. Doom3 does not, however!
nossr50

Post by nossr50 »

Doom3 kicks ass, if you dont like it then you dont like it. I however, loved it.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Graf Zahl wrote:As there haven't really been for Quake, Quake2 and most other newer shooters with the sole exception of Half Life (and even that couldn't remotely compare with Doom.)
According to All-Seeing Eye, there are currently 5,677 people playing on 3,545 Quake 3 servers hosting a variety of mods including the original Q3 and Team Arena. And Quake 3's single player was virtually non-existant.

Without even any mods out, Doom 3 is currently seeing 373 active players on 552 servers. How many people do you think are playing ST and ZDaemon right now?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

What I meant is that Doom3 won't live long as a modding engine for SINGLE PLAYER projects.

Furthermore, multiplayer maps are much easier to construct because you don't have to implement gameplay, not to mention that I don't care about multiplayer games at all so I am not interested in anything concerning it.

And no, multiplayer servers are no indication for me to judge the success of a game. Me and the multiplayer community are mutually exclusive and when I talk about games I am only interested in the SP part.
Macil
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Macil »

Doom wrote:
cccp_leha wrote:
wildweasel wrote: Not me.
That makes at least two of us! :)
Maybe 3 now :D
7614 now!

/me walks among all of his clones, which do not play doom 3 :D

Anyways, I kinda sad that most new 1st person shooters have about 1 sp mod to 150 mp mods (just my estimate)
Risen

Post by Risen »

I spent about an hour with the Doom 3 demo. It didn't capture my fancy enough for me to want to actually spend any money on it, so my experience with it will probably end there.
Zarggg

Post by Zarggg »

I didn't bother downloading the demo. Maybe if I get a new comptuer I'll purchase it in a bundle, but I won't go out of my way to get it.
Mundungu

Post by Mundungu »

Doom3 reminded me alot of Half-life, in a way. *snore*

Nice effort, but FPS games haven't really gone very far...
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

well, maybe they are going backwards... slow game play. A few enemies.... COUNTER STRIKE MODS!
GeeDougg
Location: VanCity, British Colonies, Isolated Republic Of Canuckistan

Post by GeeDougg »

Well I'm gonna wait 'till tomorrow for Half-Life 2 and then give my full opinion on this matter. But I don't think Doom 3 is gonna live as long as Half-Life 2. BTW, everyone should think about this little problem: The original Doom games may have the record for te most mods ever made, but believe it or not Doom will one day lose t's modding momentum, because the generations that were familiar with Doom from their time are getting older. So, say 35 years from now, assuming that computers will still be somewhat like today's, and assuming that the concept of mods will even exist, and assuming that the world has miraculously been saved from the destruction and armageddon that is surely at our doorsteps, there probably won't be many people from this era still alive and/or willing to continue modding for the original Doom, because the newer generations aren't being recruited for the original Doom games, and many years from now they're not likely to give a rat's ass how it might have felt to play the original Doom and be amazed by it, and they'll most likely be busy making mods for Half-Life 6. Cue the flamewar.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Strange. My impressions were that most members of the Doom community are already 'the next generation'. The problem with most newer games is that modding for them is not an easy task and thus restricted to a very small number who are good at it (and which are subsequently hired by the gaming industry as level designers.) Doom on the other hand has the big advantage that developing levels for it is quite easy and appeals to a totally different group of people - mostly those who are tired by the shallow gameplay and superficial gloss of most 'modern' games. I am for sure.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Let's see:

I'm 16
Cutmanmike is 17
Bouncy and Geist are 13.

Your right. Doomers are getting really old. :P

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”