New Community Project: "Knee Deep in ZDoom"

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

arcticwolf

Post by arcticwolf »

Interesting idea. :) Any plans to include Agent Spork's E1M3 and E1M5 Reincarnated?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

No, because they are just REMAKES, no SPICEDUP ORIGINALS, but I'd be happy to have AgentSpork in the team because he has done a pretty good job on both!
Eragon

Post by Eragon »

Hmm? I'm interested but I'm wondering about some things, so here goes:
1) So what are we doing with the maps? We're leaving them in the same structure and adding zdoom advances to it?
2) Would we be allowed to use cameras, messages, etc?
3) If we are allowed to change things, what things are we allowed to change? not allowed to?
I guess thats all :D :P
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Stop asking silly questions.... do whatever you need to do to make the maps look better. All tormentor wants is the original structure to be recognisable... that's it. Use all Zdoom fdewatures or just a few... add many sectors and do whatever you need to do! Just stop asking silly questions :D.

I'm tempted to start mine pritty soon... this should be fun :).

:twisted:
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Lexus Alyus wrote:Stop asking silly questions.... do whatever you need to do to make the maps look better. All tormentor wants is the original structure to be recognisable... that's it. Use all Zdoom fdewatures or just a few... add many sectors and do whatever you need to do! Just stop asking silly questions :D.

I'm tempted to start mine pritty soon... this should be fun :).

:twisted:
Exactly ;)
arcticwolf

Post by arcticwolf »

Tormentor667 wrote:No, because they are just REMAKES, no SPICEDUP ORIGINALS, but I'd be happy to have AgentSpork in the team because he has done a pretty good job on both!
I'm not sure I understand what the difference is between remakes and spiced-up originals (actually using the original levels as a base might get you into legal trouble, and might also cause the final WAD to be rejected on the /idgames archive), but I agree that having AgentSpork on the team would be great. With people like him and you, it's gonna be great! ^.^

Now if only I knew how to do good maps... ;)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The remakes have totally different geometry. Tormentor wants to do maps that retain the original layout but extend it. And even if this WAD gets rejected by the archives there are still places to host it - like Tormentor's own homepage for example. There are other high-profile WADs that are not in the archive (like the Doom64 TC) and of course there's also a lot of crap that's not in the archives (like Doom Rampage for example! :P)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Graf Zahl wrote:The remakes have totally different geometry. Tormentor wants to do maps that retain the original layout but extend it. And even if this WAD gets rejected by the archives there are still places to host it - like Tormentor's own homepage for example. There are other high-profile WADs that are not in the archive (like the Doom64 TC) and of course there's also a lot of crap that's not in the archives (like Doom Rampage for example! :P)
Exactly ;)
arcticwolf

Post by arcticwolf »

Graf Zahl wrote:The remakes have totally different geometry. Tormentor wants to do maps that retain the original layout but extend it. And even if this WAD gets rejected by the archives there are still places to host it - like Tormentor's own homepage for example. There are other high-profile WADs that are not in the archive (like the Doom64 TC) and of course there's also a lot of crap that's not in the archives (like Doom Rampage for example! :P)
I think "totally different" is stretching it a bit - they don't exactly follow the originals' layouts, but they're quite close. That being said, these not getting included means there's gonna be two more (hopefully) high-quality levels, which is a Good Thing(tm). ^_~

As for inclusion in the archive or lack thereof... is there a central place where WADs that are not in there (for whatever reason) are listed?
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

This guys seems to have similar idea.... ;)
http://www.pixelfreaks.org/cdoom/

Ok, if cannot be so impressive, make it fun.
arcticwolf

Post by arcticwolf »

Naitguolf wrote:This guys seems to have similar idea.... ;)
http://www.pixelfreaks.org/cdoom/

Ok, if cannot be so impressive, make it fun.
That seems to be for Doom 3, though - a very different (even though just as interesting) project.
AgentSpork

Post by AgentSpork »

Heh, besides, even if I could use pieces of my remade maps in this, I wouldn't. Why? Too many people have already seen those two maps. I wouldn't want to recycle old maps into a new project.

I think I'll sit out of this one.. (probably too late anyway :P)

I wish I could've gotten in on the last map, though. That's a damn nice map, by the way. Props to all the people who worked on that, and to those working on this.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I don't think it's too late. Just look into the other thread. People of your mapping skills are what this project needs!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@AgentSpork - Well, you just could create new pieces of wads you haven't worked on ;) BTW, many slots are still open which you can see at the first post of the thread, so I really would be glad if you think about it and join this ;) (I love your remixes ;))
Mannequin

Post by Mannequin »

I agree that the original E1 is anything but boring. I've played it more than 100 times, and I still love the feel and everything about it.

-M.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”